Agnostic.com

124 3

What would make you believe in a God?

What would need to happen for you to be able to distguish between a God and more advanced technology.

paul1967 8 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

124 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NOTHING

Evidence. David Hume has written well on this subject. You can find his thoughts in Christopher Hitchens's compendium "The Portable Atheist."

The only way would meeting face to face

meeting god face to face

In our world, people typically speak of god as 1 individual that created everything.
The Abrahamic gods are all nonsense, you only have to read a bit in the bible, torah, or koran to realize what nonsense they are. Actaully, just start with Abrahm, a god that would make him tie his son on an alter and almost stick a knife in him is unworshipful to me. Abraham is a nightmare, and the little god he created only got worse, nastier, more petty, and more vindictive with age.

As for proof, the idea that one creature did everything isn't believable. Perhaps trillions of beings somehow could do something like the earth, much less the entire universe.

If he could turn off the invisibility for a bit it'd help. Personal face to face communication, perhaps as he raised just a itty bitty little mountain out of the earth under my feet. Pretty simple for a being that can poof an entire universe into existance. Can't understand why he'd care what I thought of him or didn't think of him though?

nothing could make me believe in the god of the bible. Man created god, not the other way around, he is a work of fiction. As far as believing in some supreme being or at least some higher form of life being out there in the universe, it would just take some irrefutable evidence.

I've had some really interesting dreams and psychedelic experiences that had me convinced in the moment... those were fun, and totally unassociated with a religious god. But that's about as close as I've come... What would it take? The fabric of reality dropping from my eyes like a snake shedding its skin while I'm stone cold sober and well rested... Whatever happens after that better come with a lot of details, but yeah... that's about what it would take.

That sounds about right. I can't think of anything except dying and going to heaven (which I would turn around and leave immediately if at all possible) or going to Hell. Even then I might think I had just lost my mind.

Verifiable proof there is no sufficient evidence to even support the smallest belief in god not one shred. For thousands of years people have made these wild and completely unsubstantiated claims with the only evidence being claims made in a holy book. That is not evidence that is a story and if this was a court case they would have lost easily.

I can't disagree with logic and facts

Nothing!

Proof

First, I would have would have to KNOW that he exists in order BELIEVE in the existence of a god.

But, how could you ever know?

Proof

nothing

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

As Bill Nye said to Ken Ham "evidence"

Magic.
Science only appears like magic when you don't understand it.

Example of magic: Jesus rebuked a fever to leave a woman. That's not science, it's a spell.

First someone would have to come up with a definitive definition of what constitutes a god
If that definition includes any mention or relies on the supernatural in any way then that immediately precludes any confusion with technology in the material sense.
If the definition does NOT include the supernatural then any god is natural and materialistic and is therefore explicable by some form of advanced technology and so is NOT a god, simply a dictatorial fraud.

A near death experience would have to happen. Then I might believe in god again. I'm glad I don't believe that crap anymoe.

Odin appearing in my room, with two ravens on his shoulder and two wolves by his side. And the eye patch, of course. And he would have to speak like Sean Connery.

An Irish Viking God? Yeah we can do that. Okay one Irish Odin on his way.

@paul1967 Scottish. But send Liam Neeseon, too.

@Spinliesel I don't know can you handle both of them?

@paul1967 I would loe a chance to find out!

@Spinliesel Oh, you are someone I would love to meet 🙂 fearless and strong.

@paul1967 fearless and strong and crazy and old. But thanks.

Nothing.

I guess it would all depend on your definition of what a god is. For me to believe in a all-powerful, all-knowing god that created the universe the god would have to prove to me he/she/it has the power to create a universe.

It would have to be better than ever advertised. Were Yahweh actual, It would be unsupportable by my moral compass. I suppose an "amazing grace" would go further than any "miracle".

Is that Asimov or Arthur C Clarke ?

Bring back Abe Lincolin, maybe he can fix and unite the country?

Loose weight without dieting.

If he really exists, cure cancer and other horrible diseases, and show us how to generate all electricity using sea water.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.