Agnostic.com

10 1

When I was young, very evangelical, and pretty much the only black person at my school and churches, these are some of the things good, god-fearing, white christians told me/did to me:

1. I was the product of the Curse of Ham and that why, you know, the negro problem.

2. That I am equal with them, in Christ, but stick to dating in your race.

3. In 1981, I was a handful of black students who were invited to go to another christian school, when ours closed, and because of parental "concerns" we were segregated to a class of our own. In 1981. In Redondo Beach, Ca. It probably would have stayed that way until I went MLK on them and got that corrected.

4. Aparteid was acceptable because you "can't give people all their rights at once." Yeah.

5. I got called an "exeption," when I stated that when they made derogatory comments about blacks and I reminded them I was black. For the record, being called an exception is worse than being called nigger, to me.

6. That God was with the Republican party and I should be one. I was, for a while.

And yet, I stayed FOR YEARS in that religion.

Rideauxb 7 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“went MLK on them and got that corrected” I bet they loved that! ????

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 12, 2018

If you take the ignorance required to believe the above and consider other held, but stupid beliefs, one could easily understand why the so-called intelligent inhabitants of the planet will struggle to find the outer fringe of decency.

I can't say why you stayed but I suppose it is similar to why people often stay in abusive relationships.
I hope this is a sign of progress in society. I was in college in the '80s, and I thought my fraternity was enlightened compared to others, but color did play a big factor in where you choose join. A few years ago I had the opportunity to revisit campus and to initiate a group of young men. The diversity of the group was incredible. All were brothers and color or sexual preference played no roll.

I have recently reestablished contact with a friend from those days who revealed that he is gay. I was sad when I realized he did not feel comfortable to deal with that at school.

Doug Level 5 Feb 9, 2018

@Rideauxb -- The most interesting thing about all of that is how people can continue this false notion of race when it is well known there is no such thing. We have ethnic backgrounds, yes, but that also has nothing to do with race. It is just geographical long term separation.

The only reason you can be singled out is because your ancestors didn't leave the equatorial belt early enough and those who remain will continue to have darker skin tone. Those who have moved to more northerly or southerly latitudes will all lighten over time until there is no major difference to point out. Last I heard is that it requires roughly 500 years before any noticeable change in melanin occurs.

Waxing eloquent for a moment, racism is very much like religion. It is bullshit based on bullshit used to justify bullshit. The differences between you and I are as pronounced as the differences between you and any other person of African origin. We are all related. According to my genes, I have several third cousins who make you look like a paleface from Boston. We've exchanged communications and had some good laughs along the way.

Sorry for your past exposure, bro. I've had it too, but for a different Trumped up reason. Just remember, you're among friends here.

Stockholm Syndrome.

Glad, for your sake, that you broke away. The fact is that evangelical Christianity -- although it will not admit it -- has deep racist roots that go back over 200 years -- and that those tendencies persist today.

serious question-why did you stay?

Yeah, I can believe it....sucks pretty bad.

marga Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

Daaamn bruh. That is nuts.

I've always wondered why black people (or any color, for that matter) believe in christianity (or any religion really)? It's always been such a factor in keeping them repressed and separated (mostly by white people) throughout history.
As for #4, I've never understood the concept of "giving back" rights to the same people that had them taken by "you" in the first place. That makes zero sense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22374
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.