Agnostic.com

154 11

Do you listen to religious music?

I’m an atheist but grew up Christian/catholic. I attend a Christian college (long story) and I constantly have to listen to Christian music. However, some artist I actually like. I love some of needtobreath songs and I love Racheal Plattern (she sang fight song).
I’m just curious on where other nonbelievers stand.

• 61 votes
  • 124 votes
chlorine413 6 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

154 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One thing, as a non-believer, I must admit is that the various religions have produced some of the greatest music and art one can find. Indeed in India the arts are and have been very integrated with religion and philosophy.

Anyone who isn't moved by Handel's Messiah must be made of stone.

I really enjoy Gregorian chants. The message is bollocks but the sound produced is good.

Adagio For Strings Op 11 Agnus Dei 5 Samuel Barber William Orbit

I do like some groups who incorporate small amounts of God into their songs. I mean, its music. Just because I'm not black doesnt mean I don't like hip hop, just because I'm not Arabic doesnt mean that their scales arent awe-inspiring. Just because I'm notChristian, doesnt mean I must oppose all things with christianity.

Yes i think this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written

If I enjoy the music, I listen to it. I respect the artists right to have their own beliefs and know that it does not influence me

100% agree

Likewise agree. Beautiful art is beautiful regardless of religious connotations.

I don’t listen to religious music at all... if by chance I hit it on the car radio I immediately move away from it....

I refuse to!

Yes, I do, on occasion. Some good old gospel songs, when sung properly, can be rather uplifting. You don't always have to believe the story is true in order to enjoy the show.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 16, 2018

I play and sing songs all the time that have religious language and imagery. Religion is traditional and people can relate to the meaning, even if they are not believers.

Yes....but I like all music. It soothes and sets a mood. Makes life easier.

Exactly! Like obviously I’m not going to be singing about how much I love Jesus but if a song talks about hope during depression and anxiety and that hope so happened to be a god then I won’t mind. It’s soothing 🙂

You should have included a "F*** No" option. 😛

I still do sometimes but only because they bring back fond childhood memories. I grew up listening to Amy Grant's Heart in Motion and House of Love.

I enjoy a good requiem.

At Xmas I try to attend a community sing featuring the Hallelujah Chorus. So amazing to be a part of it!

This is off topic but I have to tell you I discovered something worse than country music.......Christian country music was playing next door to where I was staying. Knitting needles to the ears time!

Only over a burning campfire,,,,,,,,,with bibles.

I find white Christian contemporary music insipid all around. I enjoy some gospel music even though the lyrics don’t resonate spiritually.

UUNJ Level 8 Aug 19, 2019

No, but sometimes by accident hearing in a department store or Salvation Army thrift store!

I boycott Salvation Army. I refuse to give them a single penny of mine!

@WilliamCharles I've always like the instrumental music/work in this song Spirit in the Sky), BUT the lyrics are so blatantly Xrstian/Religious that they're enough to make the most ardent masochist cry out for mercy in my opinion.

The church I used to worship at sang a cappella so it grew on me and I loved the harmonisation. I still love a cappella but it's a genre dominated by Christian bands/groups. So I still listen to them but I hate the lyrics.

Love barber shop a capella. No mention of Jesus, just pretty girls in the street and so forth!

I love Music it has nothing to do with religion Music sets my soul right and that even includes religious tunes I do not have to believe in the myth to like the song if that were the case I would never tell fairy tales to my Children

Have you listened to Jose Gonzalez? He sings a lot about not believing. Great alternative.

Mozart, Bach, Fauré and lots more.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.