Agnostic.com

154 11

Do you listen to religious music?

I’m an atheist but grew up Christian/catholic. I attend a Christian college (long story) and I constantly have to listen to Christian music. However, some artist I actually like. I love some of needtobreath songs and I love Racheal Plattern (she sang fight song).
I’m just curious on where other nonbelievers stand.

• 61 votes
  • 124 votes
chlorine413 6 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

154 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not a chance. I cannot stand the “sounds of “worship” - of anything or anyone.

To be specific - god no!
I think the Scathing Atheists could also do a Gog Awful Music podcast.

I like old bluegrass. It seems about half of it is gospel oriented. I just left swipe the one I don't want to hear. I love classical too. I am NOT a fan of the religious Christmas music.

I am huge fan of Matisyahu a Jewish reggae/rapper/rocker/crooner and love his older religious stuff and I find great meaning in the songs and symbolism without actually believing in his God.

No, but I do occasionally use the Gregorian chants skill in Alexa as sleeping music

GwenC Level 7 Nov 15, 2018

Have always been a music lover, and untill bad habits took my breath away, loved to sing, to no ones enjoyment but my own....Dad had a wonderful voice and was a christian, one of my favorite things was at attend sunday school with him and sing with him...I just learned to not give creedence to the words, just enjoy something Dad and I did together.

I will listen to some Christian rock songs that one could easily interpret in a non Christian way. As long as its not direct, im ok with it.

Why would I listen to religious music?

@AngryAF OK. Try this one "I Don't Want To Go To Heaven If I Can't Get In" by O.A.R.

i listen to klezmer a lot but it's not religious.

g

With ear plugs

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 14, 2019

Some of the most boring insipid music

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 19, 2019

The commercial stuff is terrible. You bet.

@RobRoseBC some of the old music was good those done by the masters. Ava Maria has beautiful music even if lyrics are repetitive

I don’t actuvely or deliberately listen to any. But there is some that moves me very deeply. Like you, I’m from a catholic background. The two pieces that are guaranteed to induce deep emotion in me are ‘Panis Angelicus’ and ‘Ave Maria’. I well up every time I hear them.

Not counting Christmas music (some of which is quite religious, and some studiously not), I can only think of one "Christian" song that I like, but not because it's Christian. I'm open to liking others, just don't get exposed to many. Also, growing up Catholic I still have some affinity for the trappings (old and dusty though they may be... and perhaps because they are old and dusty) of an ancient(ish) religion. But, just because I like visiting castle ruins in Ireland, doesn't mean I want to live in one.

The Neal Morse Band, The Flower Kings, Flyleaf, early U2. Perhaps some stuff by Switchfoot or Jars Of Clay now and again.

Very few really good christian rock bands out there. Most of them are just plain awful.

Favorite non-secular classical composers include Bach, Mozart and Mendelssohn.

I listen to a band called Flyleaf. I just love the woman's voice

Atecc Level 4 Feb 16, 2019

I have to qualify my vote. I do not know if I have or ever listened to religious music

Not unless you count young Amy Grant (haven't listened to her in ages though) or Jon McLaughlin as "religious music".

I appreciate that most are singing about being a good human. Treating people with a loving heart and so forth. The harmonies tend to be in a pleasant frequency and tone but the one's that literally sing to a "God" , not so much.

Not on the radio, but when I lived in a different city and had to walk to work, I'd walk by a couple churches. Sometimes I would sit around and listen to the choir sing of they were singing something with a good tune. I always liked hearing songs sang by a large group of people.

Christian radio stations are fucking horrible though..

I do like some rock bands that are Christian and you can hear it some in their music.. but for the most part you can't tell.

Yes but only to the kind that is at least 0 old. gigs where the only work available back then if you hated playing weddings. Contemporary rock rap punk, while hilarious, is not my thing.

ArtHop Presentation opens at 5 PM with a reception with artist and food. It opened at 4PM
and clothes at 8PM at FCC Space Gallery right next Art Bldg ... where the ceramics and bathrooms
are on the west side of Art Bldg. I parked on the street across Diana's classes on the end of the Science Bldg
Rm 290... When she gets out 550 PM we will try to squeeze into WestCare Family Systems class that starts at
6 PM tonight toward front in of the Bldg 3 blocks south of Martin Luther King and Jensen Ave., Fresno, California Tonight or the 1st and 3rd Thursday Every Month for ArtHop Fresno
Right off of Freeway 41 and Jensen Ave.

The only religious band I listened to was P.O.D., but that was completely by accident. I didn't know until many years later that they were religious. Shame too, because they sound really good.

Mozart's Requiem in D . Great music for the taste of Gods.

There is some great religious music. I like christmas carols and Leonard Cohen's Hallujah is one of my favourite songs but like the classic "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen just don't listen to the lyrics too closely. they don't make a lot of sense.

I never knew this but Sixpence non the richer was a christian rock band. I really loved their only commercial single (I listened to) Kiss Me. Hootie and the Blowfish had some religious themed music (Or so I thought) hold my hand, etc...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.