Agnostic.com

4 1

QUESTION New Kim Davis-like case tests whether LGBT rights and religious rights can coexist - The Washington Post

I think that the law of the land should be enforced, religious objections or no. But this is the world we live in now, where the the vociferous cry of "my relilgious liberties are being trampled!" is being increasing heard by the courts. I SO wish a LGBTQ (or not) clerk/ magistrate/judge somewhere would take a stand somewhere and declare that "marrying a man to a woman violates MY sincerely held religious beliefs...

BookDeath 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm disgusted by religious assholes screaming that they're being oppressed when the truth is that they're only being prevented from oppressing others.
It's simple really. If you are prevented from going to the church you choose, banned from praying, or physically threatened because of your religion; you are being oppressed. When you're prohibited from forcing others to worship your god, or follow your religious tenets; you are not the victim.

JimG Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

What a shame that political opportunists use the cloak of religion as a fundamental right to provide legal succor to bigotry.

Let us hope that our fellow-citizens of good faith who subscribe to religion call out those who do this for what they are, and shoo this sort of thing off to the dark corners of our polity where they can wither from lack of the sunlight of social respectability.

I'm afraid that we as nonbelievers can't do this job, since we aren't trusted.

As for the law, in the interim, what is within our power to do is to point out that a legal duty is not the same things as a religious activity. It's not a religious act to buy health insurance. It's not a religious act to stamp a civil marriage certificate. It's not a religious act to rent an apartment or sell a cake.

LGBT rights and religious rights have a hard time coexisting because religion tells believers that LGBT people are bad and this gives rise to discrimination and hatred.

I guess it needs to be hammered out

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.