Agnostic.com

14 0

Where do we go after we die other than turning into dust?

SonnyMlaPH 7 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like to think there's an afterlife. Not the whole heaven and hell religious based after life, but a place where everyone transcends after losing their physical body. Granted, I accept that I don't truly know what happens until I actually die and that there's a good chance I simply cease to be after taking my last breath. It's just a cutsie belief I tell myself to feel better about it that seems the most possible.

Please let us know what it's like after you cross over to the other side. And . . . aaaaahhhh, I hope you get to meet JFK or Princess Diana and record their stories of the things they wanted to tell the world

I want to believe in an afterlife as well....but who knows? However, I have been at the bedside of many dying people and have experienced that the very religious ones had the hardest time "letting go". Some experienced truly paralyzing terror. So I guess the afterlife is very real for them. If they were better than I by believing in God, then why the terror? People who had made peace with life usually slipped away quietly. Something to ponder.

enlightenedcan: So, those religious ones don't seem to let go of life? Maybe their bodies were undergoing rapid chemical changes resulting in "paralyzing terror." . . . or, maybe they took that quote from Freetothink to the max: "If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!"

I watched my grandmother, a woman of the world, die on her bed, her hand gripping my hand. Before she made the last 3 gasps she uttered, "they're here". Then she took 3 big deep breaths, her chest heaved after the last gasp and her grip loosened. I don't know if it was just my imagination, but I remember noticing a very slight upward movement of the spot of the mattress where she was lying. Whew, just an illusion maybe. But my dad also noticed it, so did the doctor and medical attendants.

My mother, a very religious woman, passed away peacefully in her sleep. She used to hum a melody to sleep. When the humming stops my dad would tuck her in. And she does the same when she woke up. But then my dad never heard another melody from her.

My question is not to be confrontational. I just want to know, do you believe in an afterlife for a reason or do you just want there to be an afterlife?

The assumption that you go someplace has no evidence. If you would like a somewhat accurate representation of what it feels like when you are dead, just imagine what you felt like before you were ever conceived.

You nailed it. It was not a feeling it was not existing. I'm not afraid of death I'm afraid of living badly

Excellent analogy! Best thus far... ????????

Vistile, I think I have to watch these movies again "Flatliners" with Julia Roberts and the funny "The Frighteners" with Michael J. Fox.

. . . and, yes, paul1967, I'm also not afraid of death but afraid of living badly

We have no empirical evidence about anything that might or might not happen after death. It's a great leap into the unknown. Might be nothing, might be terrible, might be great. Only one way to find out.

Liam Level 3 Oct 12, 2017

Go to the other side and back?

Pretty much. Or find some way to measure it from here.

I just believe that. When die we die nothing more nothing less

i've been looking for a guy who's been to the other side to tell his story of how it is out there even if it's just according to what he's heard from JFK or Princess Diana

"We" don't go anywhere. We are a construct of ourselves which is a whole area of academic research across many fields.

We just contribute to the entropy of the universe as our atoms are converted into something else - that in an of itself is proof of a (virtually) eternal life - at least until the entropy finally stabilizes in the Heat Death.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

I don't think I'll enjoy an eternal life with my atoms converted into something else and maybe scattered all over the ether and, worse, merged with others' atoms. So, no more "identity" for us then? no more singing George Benson's "learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all"?

Our bodies age, die and eventually turn to dust. This is a fact, so anything else is speculation. Is there a bright light? Scientists explain that it is the process of our brain dying....as neurons shut down there is a chemical reaction.....kind of like the "big bang" of our brain. The light seems to give most people some comfort, so it may also be the last "self-preservation" signal our body emits. However, there is documentation of death and near-death experiences whereby people reported leaving their bodies and becoming a spirit. These people reported events they witnessed while being in this spirit-state which were not only accurate but also should have been an impossibility. So, I keep an open mind about an afterlife. Who really knows?

sssso, that explains the bright light! they didn't show that in the movie "Flatliners" but they did show it "Ghost"

You cease to exist. There is nothing.

Yes, our bodies cease to exist. But according to one member, Draco, our atoms will be converted into something else, sort of eternal life - for our atoms

Nowhere. I mean, maybe reabsorbed into the earth but that's about it.

yes, ashes to ashes, dust to dust

We go exactly where we were before we were born. The big nothing. We either leave our bloodline behind or we leave art or human interactions of some kind to be remembered. But we really go back to nothing.

Someone said our atoms are recycled into something else, sort of life ever after - for our atoms.

We go into a hole in the ground and redistribute ourselves back to the environment, with no conscious awareness of doing so. Unless we're lucky enough to die in the wilderness, where we may be lucky enough to feed the wildlife directly. There's no reason to fear the non-awareness of death. We were equally unaware before we were born, because in both cases we did not exist.

I agree . . . I have only one reason why I fear death - I don't want my family burdened by my unpaid bills.

Nowhere. The electricity that produces "you" stops.

I believe we go everywhere scattered in the ether

define what we is, then it might be possible to discuss.

"We" the people, "we" the human beings, "we" the persons that we are, "we" who are here in our "A" Community learning from each other to become better persons. That's the "we" in my inquiry. Thank you.

My son just asked me this question. I told him that we become a part of everything. Out bodies turn into dirt, and the nutrients that were inside of us feed flowers and other plants. Animals eat the plants. Plants release oxygen. Animals release carbon dioxide. When he misses our dog who passed away, he can look at every flower, every tree, every person. She's a part of all of them now.

If you are buried at sea, you go way, way down.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:224
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.