Agnostic.com

33 14

Men don't have to worry about this.

A homeless man in his 30s has been grabbing and sexually harassing female runners on the irrigation ditch trail near Fifth Street in Wenatchee, the Wenatchee World reported last June. Darn. This is where I like to run.

So, I switched to the Riverfront Trail. At the riverfront, it is hard to get into the Zen of running while dodging people and dogs.

For me, running is like dreaming. Thoughts from the day- current arguments, past heartaches, worries- drift past as if on a conveyor belt. I feel like I’m flying. By the time I get home, I feel mentally rinsed out. Filled with endorphins, I feel happy and relaxed.

Yesterday dense fog lifted and the sun came out. Blue skies! The temperature rose from 30 to 50 degrees.

“Must get outside,” I thought, delighted. Lacing up running shoes, I decided to brave the irrigation ditch trail. “It’s been too cold for the homeless man to hang around,” I thought.

Running, I came upon a homeless man sitting beside the trail with a large daypack. He looked at me. There was no one else around.

“Oh, no!” I thought anxiously. “Wish I had my phone.” Increasing my speed, I raced past the man, sprinting until well past him. Unfortunately, I had to pass him again on the return trip.

While running, a smartphone bounces in my chest pocket. It’s uncomfortable and heavy. I know I should carry a phone when running alone. Stubbornly, I resist.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"You look like a victim," the last man I met said. "Because you are thin, men see you as easy to grab."

That chilled me to my core.

Edit:

I walk quickly with confidence, good posture and strength. Chin up, back straight.

Never look at my phone or in my purse while walking outside. Never wear earbuds. I need to hear what's around me.

Like most women, I constantly scan the surroundings and avoid groups of men. Cross the street if a man worries me. Keep doors locked.

A small woman, I have lifted weights since age 22. Weight lifting improves my posture and strength.

I have a friend here named Tina. She is 4'10 and weighs 85 lbs. If I thought I had to fight her, I would run away. She also packs a gun 🙂. But, yeah, you are right, bullies like what looks like easy prey. Fortunately, no one would ever mistake me for thin. You've seen pictures of me.

Shit. Never heard that one before. Bummer.

Yeah. Looking like a victim (male or female) can make you an easy target. But, confidence shows through and makes you look like less of a victim. I used to walk downtown Atlanta many, many moons ago in order to get back home. Not the safest place. But, I always walked alert, stayed aware, and made sure I looked confident, like I was capable of defending myself. I was never bothered. (It seems counterintuitive, but make eye contact briefly. It shows confidence. Avoiding eye contact can make you look afraid.)

If you don’t already, carry antything in your hands that can be thrown or used to punch or poke or stick. Or, carry a stun gun or mace if legal. Carry a whistle around your neck (break away chain though). Those things can make you less vulnerable as well.

Check with a friendly law enforcement officer for what you can carry legally where you run.

@Rob1948

I refuse to buy a gun. Mace is illegal in Washington State.

I walk quickly with confidence and strength. Never look at my phone or in my purse while walking outside.

Like most women, I scan my surroundings, and avoid groups of men. If a man concerns me, I cross the street. Keep my doors locked.

A small woman, I have lifted weights since age 22. Weight lifting improves my posture and strength.

I could never understand anyone running or riding bike (or walking for that matter) with ear buds in. When I am out and about I want all my senses in full use! I have heard vehicles long before I saw them when I rode bike. Heard people coming behind me when walking. Safety and being aware is often better than being armed and zoned out in a song. Having to react after you’re grabbed is much harder than being prepared to act early. My guess is you would do all right in a fair fight! ?

@Barnie2years

I down even own earbuds. Like you, I want to hear what's around me.

This story is mildly disturbing. I’ve worked with homeless people, including providing temporary quarters in my own home. The circumstances that lead to homelessness are about as many as the stars. Our capitalist, materialistic culture and systems create homelessness, then marginalize those affected, providing extremely limited services. Services that are offered are designed to shame and demean the recipients, forcing them into compliance with sets of rules that limit their ability to rebound, to believe they are worthy of a life of dignity.

I’m truly sorry for any discomfort you feel or potential danger from this homeless person. My prayer is we choose to challenge the systems that create homelessness and poverty, and see each and every person as sacred.

I'm with you on most of this and have raised funds for charities that assist the homeless directly and those that pressure the government to strive to prevent the causes of homelessness. However, I'm not going to see any man - be he homeless or a billionaire in a mansion - who feels entitled to grab and sexually harass women not so much as "sacred" but more as someone who "should have his genitals ripped off slowly and as painfully as possible".

I'm with you too. I have worked with homeless people and for a brief time was homeless myself. Every person, homeless or not, is different and deserving respect. How would this story sound if the word "homeless" was replaced with "Hispanic" or "black"?

@Jnei I wasn’t justifying the actions of the homeless man cited in the article. I don’t condone sexual assault of any kind by anyone. I’m not sure how you read that in what I wrote.

@Bobbyzen I didn't. I'm not sure why you thought I did.

@Jnei Then I misread your response. I’m just attempting to share a perspective on the causes of homelessness, and our society’s lack of a substantive, human response.

22 Things Women Worry About On A Daily Basis That Men Never Have To Think About [thoughtcatalog.com]

@Aquaeyes

Thanks for the link.

Guys, (especially young and/or smaller) also have the same to worry about (I know a few guys that were penetrated by such)

A good friend who works with me (retired FBI (Native American) federal reservation police) recommends carrying a large (fits in the palm of your hand) key-chain ring. On the key ring, in addition to your house keys, include a very large key that has been sharpened into a small double edged blade. (you can add texture so it looks a key but leave it razer sharp. When you are in an area that may pose a problem, place the ring in your hand such that the sharpened key extends outward between your fingers. He said this produces a rather effective (legal (because it is just a key)?) defense weapon.

Men sure do impact our lives negatively...can't dress the way we like, can't go camping with women friends, can't go out alone at night,don't even THINK about wearing earbuds outside...I know there's more but I'm pissed off after typing this much

Xena Level 6 Nov 21, 2018

Yes, I can relate. But I always made it a point to look at anyone I passed squarely in the eye to show them that yeah, I see you.

Maybe some time in the future, attacking and abusing women will be looked on in the same way that beating a child, picking on the weaker, and abusing the mentally handicapped, is considered.....maybe some time in the future, when the idea of religious views of women being subordinate to men, and men quit being raised to think that way....then maybe women won't have to live day to day with their fears.

It should be that way RIGHT NOW! What is taking so long? Do you know? You're male...any clue???

@Xena religion, in general, cast women in the subservient, even the inferior role and men raised to think of women in this way, as has been the case for the last couple of thousand years, just can't help needing to look down on them, and take advantage. Thats not going to change quickly, especially with extremest religion backing republicans in power, and even many women brain-washed to thinking that its the "christian" way to believe....good luck getting things changed.

I agree that religion perpetuates the subjugation of women; however, it's important to acknowledge that religion was created in part, with this purpose in mind, by men. Getting rid of religion, while a worthy and desirable goal, would not in itself eradicate these impulses to mistreat others that some men display.

@pashaonenine am thinking that it would be the single, most influential, place to start. Your suggestion???

I’m an avid runner and I really do think about this regularly and it does make me sad. As a male, I can run at any time of day, in most countries around the world, typically with as little clothes on as necessary, with two headphones in, etc etc. it’s a shame that there are so many in the world who hurt and cause pain to others and physically and emotionally assault women. I hope one day we can solve this, but without proper education, upbringing, moral values, and societal pressure it seems this won’t go away.

Get you one of these non-lethal Fast Strike wands. Easily carried and concealed and anyone whacked with this thing will never bother you again.

@pepperjones I got mine mainly for dogs, since I walk a lot. I never have had to use it, but it is in my car in case I run into a bad case of road rage, or something. You can even bluff with it and pretend it is charged to deliver a shock. I asked one guy if he wanted 110 or 220 🙂 It is hard to imagine anyone wanting to come back for more after getting whaled by this thing. The good thing is that it is non-lethal and will not cause any permanent damage...other than emotional.

I wear a sleeve holder when I walk...it is barely noticeable. Please be careful...we have had women runners attacked in even places that are deemed "safe"..

[amazon.com]

So have y’all tried getting the local authorities involved?
Because that’s something that they can address and in the meantime I’d suggest running in groups and carry pepper spray.

@Alshaytan

The police already know about the homeless man who has been sexually harassing and grabbing female runners. Last June, there was an article in the local newspaper about it. Although police have been called, they have not caught him.

As a species we are evolving. I run with my chihuahua/schipperke, Machete` , who will eviscerate an achilles heel. He comes on as a rabid zombie towards any suspect. Then there is me, who taught him all he knows. One day when we take back the night, men will be our ally & not Gary Ridgeway.

You're right. Most men don't have to worry about being assaulted by women. But some men, especially young men and boys, have to worry about being assaulted by older men. My older brother was raped by a retired priest at a Catholic home in Boston in the 1970s.

Check with you local police whether a kitty keychain is legal in Wa. There is conflicting advice on the internet, the local or state police would be able to give you the best advice, if they are legal there, they cost less than $10.

My heart goes out to all women on these kind of issues.

Coco Level 3 Nov 19, 2018

We do not have many homeless people here but the one's we do have are either kids who just do not want to work, they want to be free to do what they want which is sit and make fun of the people walking by, or they are once respected people who have fallen on hard times. I have no problem with these people because if the whole thing goes to shit we will all be out on the street. eventually your savings will run out you will not have the house payment, or if you have your house paid for you will not be able to pay for the utilities, the repairs and upkeep, and eventually you will not be in a good place. In this economy we all have to realize that we are part of a large whole and that some of us are better off than others. When the homeless include Ph,D.'s, engineers, doctors, college professors and other who are well educated we have t realize the system is rigged against us. Shit happens. Now I do not mean that anyone should be able to take advantage of another, one has to be able to protect themselves, doing what ever it takes to fend off an individual rather than become its victim.

As a man I would say that this is my #7 problem....my issues and priorities are so where else..but ,respect,I understand your pain!

Wear a waist pouch or something similar and put your phone it that. You can get something decent for around $10, if you don’t already have one.

(Yeah, guys don’t need it for homeless harassers but we do in case of injury or muggers.)

Sorry to hear. You are right. This does not happen to men. And sadly, enough men make it as such. Not much of a user of #notallmen, because that denies a problem instead of addressing it.

It does happen to men. Although I am not a victim, I know of a few guys who were violated, (one in a baseball park) the other two (not sure where) but it messed two of pretty bad (psychologically). Of the three I know of, only one got psychological help.

It's too bad that happens to a person merely trying
to enjoy herself

They make arm band phone holsters that seem like they would be fairly stable. Most people use them to listen to music, but they are handy just to have your phone.

Here is a video on how to use Fast Strike.

It sucks that you have to worry about that and I'm not downplaying how serious that is, but I'm also wondering why you don't get one of those phone holders for your arm? I've seen a lot of joggers with them.

I feel like it's terrible that women have to go through things like this and every time you see one of these stories we talk about what women should do in order to remain safe. While that's helpful, I wonder why we don't ever have a call to teach boys how to respect the boundaries of others more often. I know it wouldn't stop everyone, but it's like we don't even think it's possible to approach it from the potential assailant's side. Prevention. Awareness. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Maybe get an armband for your phone to reduce the bouncing?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:224318
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.