Agnostic.com

12 2

How do you pronounce GIF?

Kinda wanted to know how people on here pronounce GIF. Do you pronounce it with a hard G "GIF" or a soft G "JIF"?

• 34 votes
  • 7 votes
MusicMnstr99 6 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"GIF is an acronym for Graphics Interchange Format"

gif stands for graphics interchange format. graphics begins with a hard g, so although both gif and jif are acceptable, gif is more correct as it acknowledges the initials of the words for which it stands. besides, there is a different graphical format called jif. if they're both pronounced jif, how will anyone know what someone is talking about?

g

Only my computer needs to know.

@GeorgeRocheleau i sometimes say gif aloud. i am glad i know too.

g

I say GIF, hard g. I suppose it could be confused with gift.

I call it the WTF why can`t I locate you file.

hard as the rock granite, not soft as gem 🙂

Steve Wilhite, told the NY Times how annoyed he was at the debate over the pronunciation of GIF: “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations. They are wrong. It is a soft 'G,' pronounced 'jif. 'May 21, 2013

[gizmodo.com]

Society determines how a word is pronounced no matter what the creator of that word says

Graphic Interchange Format (GIF)

Whenever I hear people pronounce it 'jif' I ask them how its 'jraphics' are.

Hard G. As others have said, soft G is how the creator of the format wants everyone to pronounce it but he is wrong. It stands for graphical, and jif is taken by a peanut butter and another format. Gif clearly wins lol.

If you give me a jiff, I'll answer..........GIF

Say the work gift and drop the t.
There is a peanut butter called Jif.
What does the thing stand for?
graphic or giraffe-ic

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:224520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.