Agnostic.com

20 1

Is weight loss surgery a quick fix?

I’ve been receiving advice from friends who tell me that the weight loss surgery is so much better instead of working out five times a week all the time and how pointless it was when I can just go get surgery and how surgery was far more effective than exercising since exercising takes longer to achieve healthier results. I just decided to stick with daily exercising and so far I’ve lost 35 pounds in the matter of 6 months. Some people think I’m crazy. What do any of you think?

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had similar experiences with friends suggesting the quick fix of surgery, but like you, I opted for the long-term approach. I found this guide at fitnessown.com/guide super helpful in staying motivated and focused on my fitness journey.

Lifestyle changes. Diet and exercise are sustainable choices and keep improving your health as you continue.
Bravo as there is not "quick fix" when it comes to your health.

Excessive weight is not a problem unto itself. It is a resultant symptom of deeper issue of an unhealthy relationship with food or even a prior psychological trauma. Weight loss surgery is like many treatments available today, seeks to treat a persistent symptom but ignore the disease or root cause. While many recipients do attempt to address the cause in addition to treating the symptoms. This instant gratification society that we live in does not actively promote a address-the-cause-first path to wellness. The people that think that you are crazy are evidence of this. My advice is do not take the easy path. Find out what your specific cause is and get professional help with it. It won't be easy reversing years of neglect, but character is built in such ways. You will enjoy the longer lasting results as a reward.

Also of note, exercising is most likely good for you, but you can NOT out-exercise a bad diet. My advice is free, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck!

Weight loss surgery isn't easy. Part of surgery success includes diet and exercise. The emotional and psychological reasons for weight gain still have to be dealt with to lose the weight.

My mother and step dad have had weight loss surgery. I would recommend just keep working out and sticking to eating healthy. If you get in shape and lose weight slowly your body will adapt and you probably won't have any excess skin as you might from weight loss surgery because with surgery you will lose it more rapidly and not build muscle as you would working out.

tj509 Level 4 Nov 18, 2018

I had a gastric sleeve 2018-04-01. I've lost 110# add of 2018-11-15.

As far as the math, it takes hours of exercise to cancel out 15 minutes of eating. You can have a greater impact on you weight by changing your eating habits then by exercise.

The more I learned about long term weight loss, as in 5-10 year success rates, the more I realize that for me, personally, I simply do not have the personality type make hard core exercise something inherent to my lifestyle.

As a software developer, I call this a hardware upgrade. If you look at the stats, the long term success rate for gastric sleeve is over 60% >5 years. They are no other options with those numbers. All the others basically drop off the ones who fail out of their system. They then redefine success to mean sticking with the system, add opposed to understanding that a system which can't be maintained is a failure.i say that because I know health coaches who charge hundreds of dollars a month, and only count their customers who continue to pay as success. Or they stop monitoring when a certain goal is met. If the customer regains the weight, they don't count that as a failure.

In any event, for <$6000 (Tijuana), I no longer have diabetes, high blood pressure, and many other medical issues. I went from a 48" waist to a 34", and still going. I had full blood panels prior to and at 3 & 6 months post surgery. My doctor tells me that I've added at least 10 years to my life span. Very much worth it.

Bang for the buck? I highly recommend upgrading to an SSD before any other hardware upgrade. And gastric sleeve has given me the best of both worlds. I eat fairly normally, just less.

/2¢

Hey anytime you want to discuss all this bypass stuff, I'm down. I thought about starting a group but didn't know if anyone would join....

I had lap band surgery about 15 years ago and I did lose about 30 pounds but there were some complications. Acid reflux and faulty vitamin absorbability were among the problems. What worked for me was water fasting and intermittent fasting. After the third day it gets easier and your energy level will increase dramatically, making exercise easier

Four of my morbidly obese psychotherapy clients have had bariatric surgery. Each was at least 200 pounds overweight. One had bypass surgery and had complications landing her in the hospital for 6 weeks and she died of renal failure a year later. Three had the sleeve and each lost about 100 pounds but started putting weight back on when they stopped eating and exercising the way they were advised. It is not a quick fix but can help jump start a weight loss program.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep it up!

I think if I lost 35 lbs in 6 months from exercise alone it would be a miracle. And I don't believe in those.

If I choose to care about my weight I now know what it takes for my body to lose weight and it is a lot of time and a lot of money. Basically it is a part time job that I pay for. Or the most expensive and time consuming hobby I can think of. If I cared enough, I might go for the surgical option. It isn't the easiest option, but it might be the one that sucks up the least spare time.

I think that your body will choose it's own optimal weight for your lifestyle. I think if you feel healthy and practice some healthy habits you won't worry about being overweight. I think humans are meant to be active and our favorite activities require large amounts of energy use and make us feel good. A surgery will be a very temporary fix, it would need to be maintained with regular surgeries or constant upkeep to keep it off. Progress is enough,
I think you should stick with diet and exercise and not worry about your size

No it isn't a quick fix but it is definitely worth it! I speak from experience. And everyone saying just diet and exercise really shouldn't say that. There are many reasons to have the surgery regardless. There are many conditions that make just diet and exercise not the fix.

Very true. 'Diet and exercise' is another one of those too-generic solutions.

True, but the OP didn't mention any other problems.

My late wife,had the gastric sleeve,where the stomach is reduced in size,but she was a smoker for many years,I believe when she caught Cee-Dif due to the Doctor not prescribing a long enough dosage of medication, the cancer in her lungs became active and later took her life.

There's also a band that can be adjusted via port under the skin that saline is used to tighten on loosen the band around the stomach.

Actual bariatric surgery that reduces the size of internal organs in order to reduce intake is not a 'quick fix.'. It requires a lot of psychological evaluation, trial and error with changes in diet and exercise habits, and for the patient to be within a certain weight range.

For example, I'm 190-ish, about 70 pounds over my ideal weight, but I would not qualify as the difference is too small. My housemate is 300-something and she would qualify. However, someone who is 600-something would not, as that much weight makes any kind of surgery far more risky than for smaller people. They recover much more slowly and are much more prone to complications.

The surgery itself has a high failure rate mainly because of patient non-compliance. Too often the medical team (including the patient) doesn't do enough to address the root cause of overeating. And too often, said cause, if it is addressed, can't be remedied, as it's a food addiction, which brings us back to the causes of addiction in general.

Even if the surgery is successful, it's still a long, hard slog to lose weight. Bariatrics is simply one of many weapons in the weight-loss arsenal. Just because it's heavy artillery doesn't mean it's going to instantly win the war.

You can have the surgery and all us good for a year or two but without a healthy lifestyle that you get by working out the wt will come back.

People want quick results. Bottom line is you should just eat healthier and exercise at least 3 days a week for about 45 minutes to an hour at a time. The results are slower, but it's healthier, and you will also get stronger and feel better. That surgery is only for people who have actively changed their diet and exercised and it doesn't work, then they get the surgery as a last resort. If you just get the surgery you will lose weight, but I doubt you will get stronger with your muscles and especially your heart. There is also no guarantee that the procedure's equipment will last. Exercise also actively reduces your bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises your good cholesterol (HDL). It also is good for diabetics in having your muscles use more of the glucose in your body and it will lower your blood sugar over time. You don't just want to look better, but actually have a healthier system.

It's always been pretty easy for me to lose weight. I eat smaller portions, no bread and less carbs, no soda and less or no sugar, don't eat after like 6pm, and exercise (mostly cardio, but power yoga and some weight training also burns fat). Now I just do yoga and walk like 2-3 miles because it's low impact. The last time I was in the gym and eating right, it took me a few months to lose 40 pounds. The thing is you just have to stay motivated to maintain the transformation.

Quick fixes get s bum rap

I've known a couple of people that had surgery. In every case, it ultimately failed.

I think it works for some people. Some people don't have the discipline or drive to stick to a plan. I think it's awesome that you are doing it naturally. Keep it up!!! 35lbs is A lot of weight!!!! Go girl!

first of all there are different kinds of weight loss surgery. one is to remove the actual fat (liposuction). if you do not change the habits that got you fat to begin with, it will come back. another is to make the stomach smaller. this makes your appetite less. if you're not fat from overeating but rather from lack of exercise, this won't help at all.

fast weight loss is hard on the heart. i don't recommend it however it happens. your weight loss seems reasonable. you're doing a good job and protecting your heart.

on the other hand, your muscles need to recover from exercise. unless you're swimming, i do not recommend more than four days a week. three is good. two is not enough lol.

i highly recomend exercising in water. it really is better for you than anything else. i can't swim but i have a water routine. i have been ill and unable to go and do that. i have lost weight from being ill, but i do NOT recommend that!

g

Weight loss surgery for some is just a quick fix..unless they are committed to sticking to healthy eating and exercise..think this applies more to those who do it for cosmetic purposes..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.