Agnostic.com

37 10

Do you polish your shoes?

"Only you and old men polish their shoes in Wenatchee, Kathleen," a friend said. I noticed.

Today I polished black leather footwear: boots and two pairs of shoes. It's a production. Buffing wears out my arm.

Polishing makes leather shoes and boots last longer. The result is dazzling.

With my expensive hiking boots, I clean and dry them after each hike, on a Peet shoe/boot dryer/warmer. Also waterproof hiking boots Spring and Fall, and as needed.

Last Christmas, I assembled and gave daughter Claire and Matt a shoe polishing kit. Cost: $80. I went a little overboard with waterproofing items since they live in rainy Seattle.

"Matt does all of the polishing: my boots and his," Claire admitted.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've no adult footgear. Sent it all to Goodwill upon retirement.

@bigpawbullets

So, do you just slop around in tennis shoes? I only use tennis shoes for running and weightlifting.

@LiterateHiker
Crocs, hiking boots which are now like suped up sneakers, and swim fins.... that's it!
πŸ˜‰

i wear vinyl sandals outdoors in all seasons. they neither need nor could tolerate polishing. indoors i go barefoot. i do not polish my feet, not even my toenails.

g

@F-IM-Forty me too. i do it in sandals.

g

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. My dad, and many other older generation males whom I respect, was known for this trait, along with respectful memories he exhibited. I, proudly, continue this tradition.

Many will think it's old fashioned, but I do a lot of old fashioned things like correcting peoples spelling and grammar text mistakes, writing letters with a fountain pen. Most appreciate it, particularly younger generations. Posting parcels to kids (books, satin ribbons to a mate's daughter) if for no other reason than for them to know that not everything is electronically generated.

@tellyrus I still love writing with a good fountain pen....

Is cleaning the same thing as polishing? If it is, then I do polish my shoes sometimes. I do not like bubble gum stuck to the soles of my shoes or dog poop for that matter. I think the polishing of Chrome ,silver or gold is more satisfying. I'll need to consider polishing my running shoes. I think it may help to decrease the air drag resistance and boost morale in my cul-de-sac. But then you equate polishing with water-proofing. Oh no they have two very distinct and different results. Polishing on the one hand renders shiny and dazzling surface while attracting the wrong element. Water-proofing renders a stinky, slimy and perhaps dull finish that guarantees years of anonymity.

@bnostic

I use a quality cream shoe polish that matches the shoe color. Spread it evenly on the shoe, and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Then with a special brush, brush the shoe like crazy to develop a shine.

When needed, I use a good leather cleaner and leather conditioner. I keep my hiking boots waterproofed.

Nothing I use renders a stinky, slimy or dull finish.

Always. Scuffed toes on a mans dress shoes is not a good sign. It's like wearing dirty clothes.

@Mitch07102

Exactly.

Yep....shoes look nicer, crisper polished. Hate the scuffed toe look.
Also have a nice leather valise (or large briefcase, top opening) I use that I like to keep clean as well as it seasons nicely from use.

@RPardoe

Ah, a dapper man! Love it.

The leather ones and my boots, yes. It protects and waterproofs the leather.

Yes...I take care very good care of my shoes...I have boots that have lasted for years...I also polish and take care of my leather bags...it makes sense that if you spend money on stuff that you care for it...I especially do this when I am storing my shoes or if I wear them often....I have a few pairs, so sometimes this can take a while.

Yes, I polish my (many) leather shoes, though I haven't worn any of them in a while.

I only wear tennis shoes so this is not relevant to me

I love polished shoes. I have an old makeshift shoe kit with all the tools including of course a good buffer cloth and shoe brush. I regularly polish both my black leather dress shoes and my penny loafers. It is a small but satisfaction-filled project each time.

Yes I do. It brightens them up and helps to extend the life of a good leather shoe.

I use to when I was in the military. I occasionally do when I have to wear a suit.

I have one pair of shoes, well a pair of shoes and a pair of slippers. I wear the shows to work and they get filthy, they last about two years. I do not polish them, actually I do not even clean them except with compressed air.

I might use a leather conditioner on my work boots but I don't polish anything nor do I iron clothes or sort laundry. Life's too short to waste on fashion. But I will take care of work boots!

I haven't even owned a pair of footwear that can be polished since '99, but before then I would put a mirror shine on my jump boots every day. πŸ˜‰

JimG Level 8 Nov 17, 2018

No, not since I was discharged from the Navy in 1990.

I did it for a year at military academy, hours everyday. When I was working I would polish once or twice a year. Now I basically wear sneakers all the time, so no need! ?

I do.

I scarcely wear the kind of shoes that need polished any more.

I pretty much live in tennis shoes. I only wear other shoes to actual events, and that doesn't happen enough to constitute polishing.

Oh yeah, I'm an old man LOL

I bought my son an electric buffer that sits on the floor at an estate sale. It definitely takes the work out of buffing.

I don't but I still have my late Dad's shoebox. Shining his shoes for the week was a ritual he followed every Sunday night when he taught school.

Boots … even β€˜baked in’ the wax using my oven on very low heat last season (no one around to scold me)! Heating them seems to open the pores, as I give them two coats..

After learning to tie them, I think polishing was the second thing dad taught us ..assuming we’d be headed to the military I suspect. Still love the smell of polish πŸ™‚

Varn Level 8 Nov 18, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225442
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.