Agnostic.com

37 10

Do you polish your shoes?

"Only you and old men polish their shoes in Wenatchee, Kathleen," a friend said. I noticed.

Today I polished black leather footwear: boots and two pairs of shoes. It's a production. Buffing wears out my arm.

Polishing makes leather shoes and boots last longer. The result is dazzling.

With my expensive hiking boots, I clean and dry them after each hike, on a Peet shoe/boot dryer/warmer. Also waterproof hiking boots Spring and Fall, and as needed.

Last Christmas, I assembled and gave daughter Claire and Matt a shoe polishing kit. Cost: $80. I went a little overboard with waterproofing items since they live in rainy Seattle.

"Matt does all of the polishing: my boots and his," Claire admitted.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I scarcely wear the kind of shoes that need polished any more.

Yep....shoes look nicer, crisper polished. Hate the scuffed toe look.
Also have a nice leather valise (or large briefcase, top opening) I use that I like to keep clean as well as it seasons nicely from use.

@RPardoe

Ah, a dapper man! Love it.

I do.

Always. Scuffed toes on a mans dress shoes is not a good sign. It's like wearing dirty clothes.

@Mitch07102

Exactly.

No, not since I was discharged from the Navy in 1990.

I haven't even owned a pair of footwear that can be polished since '99, but before then I would put a mirror shine on my jump boots every day. 😉

JimG Level 8 Nov 17, 2018

Is cleaning the same thing as polishing? If it is, then I do polish my shoes sometimes. I do not like bubble gum stuck to the soles of my shoes or dog poop for that matter. I think the polishing of Chrome ,silver or gold is more satisfying. I'll need to consider polishing my running shoes. I think it may help to decrease the air drag resistance and boost morale in my cul-de-sac. But then you equate polishing with water-proofing. Oh no they have two very distinct and different results. Polishing on the one hand renders shiny and dazzling surface while attracting the wrong element. Water-proofing renders a stinky, slimy and perhaps dull finish that guarantees years of anonymity.

@bnostic

I use a quality cream shoe polish that matches the shoe color. Spread it evenly on the shoe, and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Then with a special brush, brush the shoe like crazy to develop a shine.

When needed, I use a good leather cleaner and leather conditioner. I keep my hiking boots waterproofed.

Nothing I use renders a stinky, slimy or dull finish.

I have one pair of shoes, well a pair of shoes and a pair of slippers. I wear the shows to work and they get filthy, they last about two years. I do not polish them, actually I do not even clean them except with compressed air.

I use to when I was in the military. I occasionally do when I have to wear a suit.

I love polished shoes. I have an old makeshift shoe kit with all the tools including of course a good buffer cloth and shoe brush. I regularly polish both my black leather dress shoes and my penny loafers. It is a small but satisfaction-filled project each time.

I only wear tennis shoes so this is not relevant to me

Yes, I polish my (many) leather shoes, though I haven't worn any of them in a while.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225442
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.