Agnostic.com

12 3

Starman 'driving' a Red Tesla Roadster Poll

The recent successful launch of the SpaceX Heavy Falcon rocket has gained worldwide attention, in large part because of its payload - So what is your take on this?
Multiple selections are enabled

Please feel free to comment!

• 3 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 20 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
RobCampbell 7 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The man is a promotional and business genius. He just arranged the best possible long term advertisement for his car company at a cost of 0 dollars. The fascination generated in the public to follow this cars journey through space is tremendous. The number of high interest video images will last for years unless the car gets demolished on its journey through the asteroid belt.
[businessinsider.com]

Well... While I definitely respect and admire the technical achievement and marvel that rocket is, the car stunt itself rather disappointed me. I somehow do not like messages of the kind "Look how big my di... uh rocket is!"...

@blago84 Give em a break blago, he offered NASA and telecom companies a free payload, they all refused afraid it was going to blow up. The roadster was a backup payload, I don't think Musk has that kind of mentality.

Well, normally there are many small (not NASA scale) organizations (such as universities) that seek such opportunities to get their stuff in space for free.
This car in space was quite an outrageous display, but of course he can afford it. Do not misunderetand me, deeply respect the achievement this rocket is, just my respect does not extend over its payload.
I think he himself admitted that the car was the stupidest thing they came up with to be launched into space. To some degree I appreciate their sense of humor, yet still consider this a waste.

I think the whole thing was really cool and the two Falcon 9's successfully landing back on earth was straight out of the original Flash Gordon, the drone ship one less so but i do hope the film survived for the blooper reel 🙂

...with the satnav saying "Make a U-turn if possible..."

Another though I had was 'Has Elon Musk just committed the perfect murder?' 😉

Yes, I've been following and became aware of the projected path after I posted that...still...orbiting Mars or in a semi-planetary orbit...it's still out of this world.

I just want to see it come back to Earth and land on ROUTE 66; that I would call "Heavy ..."

Can not believe flat earthers think this is a hoax! If you are familiar with the back story of Musk and how he accomplished this it really is an amazing story.

@Jackolope74 Well at least no one has selected option #2 yet on this site!

I just read today that the intended trajectory has been over shot & will be 10's of millions of miles from Earth . What a true waste of time , resources , & yes as I've voted , Money ! 👎 👎

Dougy Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

@Douglas This was just a test flight, all the parts had already been used. This was a proof of concept launch only. They were happy it didn't blow up!

Big fan of the platform. Not a big fan of the craziest ad campaign ever.

d_day Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

All test shots require payload mass simulation, or the shot is not going to give the right data. I think his use of the roadster and Starman in their new spacesuit, also requiring testing, was imaginative, effective, took care of three things simultaneously, was absolutely hilarious, and paid homage to all the people who made the shot possible. And who knows, we may someday have a measurable example of the sort of crater a Tesla roadster can make on Earth or Mars -- a bonus.

@Reply to evidentialist Thanks for the video links, I've been watching this off and on since it took orbit. Just so damn surreal!! LOL They did offer a 'free' ride to several firms looking to put satelites in orbit, they all bowed out afraid it was going to blow up, the Roadster was just a backup payload!

@RobCampbell -- and it was supremely clever.

His Rockets were bigger than Apollo, and the booster came back down and landed, all three, two on nearby pads and one on a ship at sea, so they can be reused.
The chat thread on his live feed is outrageous though, so full of grade school flunk outs and flat earthers,quick to believe conspiracy and unwilling to bel;ieve the evidence before their eyes.

More importantly this hearlds a new era of PERSONAL space exploration, driven by indiviuals and the corporations they found, not by nation states. Like the Age of exploration took off when the private corps became involved, it is my hope that this too will herald a new push for the asteroid belt and beyond.

"The Earth is too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in" Arthur C. Clarke

PS, the dash reads "Don't Panic" on the digital display, so don't forget your towel.

@Davesnothere -- Too bad they lost the center core. It missed the ship by just 100 meters, but that was a good thing because the engine misfire didn't slow it enough and it would have hit the platform at a bit over 483 kph, definitely not good for the ship. Still, I consider the shot 100% even though they lost the center core.

Don't think that it was bigger than a Saturn V. It was comparable but actually smaller.

The Falcon Heavy was the largest since the Saturn V and yes, it is partially reusable. But the mighty Saturn V still stands as the champ.

[newatlas.com]

@icolan It did? Early reports said it hit the target as planned.
Damn

@marmot84 your correct, it only appears so because of the new design.

@Davesnothere Hey Dave! Is that you?

@marmot84 Dave's not here man

@marmot84 For those too young to get the joke

@icolan Honestly 2 for 3 is pretty impressive. Trial and error method means they're gonna make some mistakes. I'm sure as hell not traveling on their first human rocket to Mars though.

Space X is starting to plan their next rocket, which they are calling BFR. The "F" may stand for Falcon... or not. It will be larger than the Saturn V. [en.wikipedia.org]

@GeorgeRocheleau That is a tribute to DOOM, the BFG, Big fucking Gun, Elons loves his little tributes . . .the cars dash reads "Don't Panic" So BFR would be Big Fucking Rocket

I can't help but imagine some future civilization who happens upon Mars and discovers a mannequin in a suit driving a car orbiting the planet. It's fantastic. Elon is my hero.

Agreed but actually it isn't going to orbit Mars. It is headed into an orbit around the sun with an aphelion between Mars and Jupiter.

[money.cnn.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.