Agnostic.com

57 6

When did you first realize that religion made no sense?

When did you first realize that religion made no sense? For me it was one of the first times I ever went to church and I couldn't believe that everybody was listening to the person at podium.

thyperson 5 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It never made sense to me but i finally accepted the facrt that it made no sense 6 months ago

I was maybe four. Coming from a non-religious family, I only started hearing about it when I began going to a pre-school at a church. They had a time for reading Bible stories, which at first seemed no different to me than any other fairytale I had heard. They even had similar elements, impossibilities, and lesson pretty much spelled out in them. At some point, though, I found out that people actually believed these specific stories had happened, and that was where religion completely lost me.
I still found it interesting, though, and often questioned my religious peers in school [at that point around 5th grade] about their beliefs.
It took me until high school, when I started spending more time on the internet, to learn such terms as agnostic or atheist, though. My favorite teacher was also an atheist, and through him I learned that people could get into trouble or even lose their jobs if their non-belief was to be discovered. I still value to a great degree the conversations we had, and I quite enjoyed being one of the few that knew that he was the real "godless heathen" in the room -he always called all of his students that as a joke. He was the first adult outside of my family that I knew to be a non-believer, and that gave me more confidence to speak about my own lack of belief.
Now I say that I am usually an agnostic atheist [I don't believe in a god, but can never be 100% sure of the lack of any deities], but I'm anti-theist as a hobby since I find it fun to argue against religion on the internet and occasionally in person.

When i was about 10.

I first began to doubt religion when I was involved in a fundamentalists group and I knew my grandmother could not go to hell. She was a great person.. When I read the necessity of atheism written in 1933, totally opened my eyes. I was a senior by that time.

No one time, I was not raised in religion, and any interest I grew in youth just faded away. I was however one of those toddlers who like to ask logical questions, so I soon learned that the price of logic is being hit a lot. Fortunately I survived and managed to hold on to a little of the logic, though I don't think I am as good at it now as I was then.

Early....I had a lot of questions and no one gave me answers that made sense.

But, definitely by age 12-13 when I started reading about other religions and researching them in the school library.

As a child I had a friend in Casper the Friendly Ghost. Many years later I realized that adults had this same friend but he was a cross between Casper and Santa Claus.

6th grade. I was in a xian school - Forrest Hills Xian School in Decatur, GA. Strict Southern Baptist.

Started asking questions. They didn't like it.

In 7th grade I set the record for the most paddlings in a year. ?

I wasn't raised in a religious family. I did have a child's Bible with lots of pictures in it that I used mostly as a stepping stool.

When someone is brainwashed from childbirth, you have a kid who feels horrible and guilt ridden, always crying (literally) in secret and praying to god to forgive his doubts and to give him more faith. He lives his life knowing he doesn't deserve anything including life.
It's horrible and it takes a long period of time to escape it, maybe not fully ever.

For me, there was never a time when it made any sense.

I was about 8, it all just didn't seem to make any sense and the older I got the less sense it made until finally what really made sense was that it was all bollocks ?

I never needed to realize it anymore than I needed to realize shit stinks, it was simply obvious from the start.

I went a Catholic high school. Every Friday one of the priests who taught us would hear our confessions. I was dating a girl at the time, and each weekend we would usually go a local drive-in theater. As those of you who went drive-ins with your boy/girl friends back in the day may understand, each Friday I would confess the same "mortal sins" my girlfriend and I would commit at the drive-in the same priest - and receive the same penance. It occurred me pretty soon that what my girl and I were doing wasn't evil, and that the whole confession thing was b.s. Looking back - that was one of my first clues. Quite a few years later I heard from a classmate that one of the priests who would hear my confession had regularly invited one of my high school classmates over the rectory for sex. The saying "judge not lest ye be judged" come to mind.

I don't remember exactly when, but I was between the ages of 8 and 12. I was with my father flying remote controlled airplanes. Mom was probably at church. I recall asking my dad why we weren't all together, he responded "Church is for people who don't have other hobbies." I continued to attend the church of model avation into my late teens, with my dad, usually on Sunday mornings.

Mid 30s here.

When I was about 13 and went with my friend to a Catholic Midnight Mass. I left scratching my head while wondering how anybody could believe in that crap. A question that I am still asking myself.

25ish

Marz Level 7 Feb 16, 2019

When I became a Sunday school teacher and during series of life-changing events that I have no explanation for. I will refrain from sharing, but both played significant roles in my decision.

When I was 14, after being a moderate Christian who only went to church once a year, I decided to become a "better" Christian. I was having an identity crisis at the time and I wanted to figure out who I was. The funny thing is the more I learned about my religion the more I thought it was bullshit. It was very easy to be Christian the less I knew about Christianity. Ignorance is bliss, as people like to say. The turning point was when I was 16, I was depressed and going through a rough patch. I started to pray to god for help, but nothing would ever happen. I was still gaining a ton of weight, I still hated myself, I still dwelled on my own guilt. One time I was praying and I looked up at the sky and said, "What the hell am I doing?" "I'm talking to the clouds. I look and feel like a crazy person" "What use is this?" If anyone was going to save me, it would be myself. Shortly after this I began reading the Bible for the first time and I was not impressed with the contents of the book. Later I was watching Atheist v. Theist debates on youtube when I saw one with Christopher Hitchens, I found myself agreeing with practically everything he said and that was when I knew that I could no longer call myself a theist.

The first time I actually gave it any serious thought.

Probably about age 7 when I had to make up stuff to say at confession. The nun said if you thought you didn't have sins to confess to, you were a liar, which was a worse sin. I had no choice ... I had to lie so I wouldn't be called out as a liar. Way too heavy for a 7-year old.

Christianity as presented by churches has never made sense to me from my early years. Not all religions are the same though. Some religions make perfect sense mostly.

When I started reading the bible as a book.

In 2006. I was 55 years old. It was the talking donkey in the Bible that did it. I read it and thought, "Wait. A talking donkey?? This is insane!" And ever since then I knew it was all bullshit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.