Agnostic.com

5 0

Free will or determinism?

Do folks think we have free will to do our actions or are we blundering complex biological machines where it is all predictable depending on our past backgrounds and current factors, like billiard balls rebounding on a table?

doubtingtommy 3 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t believe in absolutes that apply universally. But I do believe in probabilities. I do not think there is any force which has predetermined anything in the universe but there are biological and environmental drivers that push events in predictable directions like evolution over long periods and across populations. If you set up a set of circumstances you can influence outcomes. People have evolved be able consciously recognise and engage with this like in advertising and creating dating match algorithms but there is no perfect predictability matrix we yet know (see dating algorithms!). One may argue it’s a lack of information and one day the science will allow us know with certainty what choices will be made in a given situation. I don’t believe that right now because people can and do act against their “programming” and that curve ball will always be there. Free will is never as free as people want think it is but making all one’s choices a function of nature or the universe controlling us is an abdication of personal responsibility and for me it’s the main driver behind the need cleave religion.

A person can only act on their beliefs.. But the thing is beliefs are not a choice. Someone is ether convinced of something or they are not...

I lean toward the idea that our consciously aware shared self is able to nudge the robotic organisms into action, overcoming genetics, instinct, learned behavior and blind chance. Of course the robotic organisms also can function and survive for awhile without conscious oversight, but they generally make a big mess of things.

Like the nature vs nurture debate, it isn't exactly one or another.. but a mixture of both.

We just do what we're driven to do - there's no real choice because all we ever do is try to do the best thing, and any attempt to do otherwise in order to demonstrate that we have free will immediately fail because that inferior choice would be driven by a desire to demonstrate free will.

Likewise, any effort to demonstrate that we have no free will fails, since a desire to make such a demonstration is itself a demonstration of free will.

Any desire to make such a demonstration isn't driven by free will either - you don't have desires out of free will because desires are drive systems which compete against each other to force your behaviour.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.