Agnostic.com

6 1

What were the effects of communicating your feelings?

One of the worst feelings to experience in a romantic relationship are those associated with being alone and of being ignored. For me, it was made worse by trying to communicate these to my partner.

For those who experienced something similar, did you try to communicate how you felt? Did it it make things improve, worsen, or stay the same?

• 2 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 7 votes
CuriousCreature 7 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you don't communicate, you don't have a relationship. You only have a convenience.

It depends on how well you are at communicating your feelings. When I was younger I wasn't great at communication and was frequently unable to make any effective change in the relationship. As I matured I got better at communicating and problem solving should which has resulted in much better relationships.

I communicated and things got better for 6-9 months, then went right back to where they were. Fast forward a few years and we went to marriage counseling. Again, things got better, I allowed myself to love him again....but a few months later I was being ignored.

Tried one more time but decided he had to put in effort before I would open myself up to being hurt by him again. I know men can sometimes need explicit instructions so I told him I wanted for he and I to have an actual conversation for 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times a week AND for him to occasionally give me a hug, hold my hand, any type of physical touch (I didn't even bring up the complete and utter lack of sex). Needless to say, there were no conversations nor any touching. I wasn't worth 20-45 minutes of his week nor worth any physical affection. At that point I considered our marriage over and that he was my roommate.

Still took me a few years to finally divorce him. It was finalized last year (11-1-17) and I still struggle with knowing how little he would have had to do to stay married but I wasn't worth it. I didn't have big demands. Or at least I don't think those are big demands. But I wasn't worth it.

I got nowhere, so I left the relationship.

UUNJ Level 8 Nov 19, 2018

When one

• is in touch with feelings,
  • values communication, and
  • sets and enforces healthy boundaries...

and the other

• represses feelings,
  • avoids communicating, and
  • doesn't understand or respect boundaries...

frank, honest (attempts at) discussion on intimate emotional and relational themes can be relationship dynamite.

I've been through this too many times. I don't know where all the emotionally and relationally healthy people are, but I can't seem to find any.

That's how my marriage went.

@Marcie1974 Oof. :hug:

The relationship ended and that was a huge improvement for all involved.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:226530
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.