Agnostic.com

15 6

Do you peruse before you pounce?

This site appears to have people from all walks of life and all over the globe. Do you regularly check a profile for possible cultural/ language differences before making a judgment about their post/ comment?

Amzungu 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read the post and if it interests me, or I have a point of view on the topic, I reply. I only rarely look at anyone's bio and already know the regular contributors’ backgrounds. You can easily spot the non-native English speakers, and I do adjust my response to them to accommodate their lack of complete understanding of English.

All the time. It's fun.

Ata girl! Go get 'em!!

Sometimes I do but usually not. Kind of depends on how intrigued I am by the post.

Carin Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

Not really. As suggested in another reply, it might be the wise thing to do, and maybe that's why I don't do it that often. I do note when some people are just trolling and it's taken some adjustment to learn not to feed them, but generally a lot of people on the site have been cool and it's enough for me to simply enjoy the dialogs.

I do now. Sometimes posts are serious and sometimes they are meant to be humorous and its good to get to know people a little more than the first impression off of a post or response.

I very much agree with you. It's an autopilot type of thing for me I guess, perhaps stemming from spending time with and learning about people from other cultures, and knowing how easily words can be misunderstood, even when spoken in the same language. I do it more so, admittedly, when I find myself in disagreement. I'm going to give due diligence and see if I may be misunderstanding something before taking a stand against it. I'm still in the newbie observer phase in this community, but I have noticed some that may benefit from a bit more due diligence in regards to understanding where someone may be coming from. But not the trolls. Be gone with them.

I normally glance at their Bio before making comments.

I always check profiles to make sure it's not a troll and look for common interests.

I last dated a woman from Texas I met on this site. I looked up a few pictures and read her bio, but honestly I would have met up with her without reading it. I'm probably too trusting of people, if I'm honest but I'll meet up with anyone if they seem fun.

yes, it's one of the many lessons I have learned, I used to dive in, now I get my toes wet slowly

No, but it is a good idea. I tend to type in haste then find I have upset someone, sometimes that is because they have not read properly, but often it is just because I wrote in haste. (But then I have the attention span of a mayfly, so people maybe should make allowance for that. Joke.)

No,should I?

I try to check their location ..though didn’t, just now.. My perusing stems more from the cursor accidently landing on an icon than intentionally. Maybe it’s weird.. but it feels invasive to read people’s profiles - that’s their business 🙂

Varn Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

It does enter my mind to do so most of the time, yes, since it can also have an influence on tone, inflection, and grammar, even before intent is considered.

Not really - I base my decision to comment or not based on the content and whether I have anything to add to the debate. Perhaps I should!

I like the idea of hoping for the best in people, especially on sites or in groups of like-minded people. There will always be haters, and I choose to ignore their mean spirited interjections, but when it comes to responding to the posts of others, I aim to be helpful by sharing my experiences or my perspective rather than offering criticism for it’s own sake.

That said, sarcasm and snark can be useful tools when not wielded with malicious intent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:227066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.