Agnostic.com

90 5

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views?

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views? I was asked this question today and found it rather difficult to answer and dependent upon the definition of 'love'.

Grumpy 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no love in politics lol!

Absolutely. Request res utmost maturity and acceptance of partner, who entitled to their own opinion without judgement,

Of course it is, as long as you don't talk about it.

If you are shallow and truly do not think about things in depth, then yes.

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 16, 2018

What does caring about someone to the point of falling in love with that person have to do with their politics??? In choosing a partner I might consider first their skepticism and agnosticism (that is their willingness to question all things and reconsider their stance when presented with new information). My politics are very different than they were some years ago. Life is a process. Our positions can change as we change. Why shut out someone you might have something really good with?????? If I were at polar opposite sides of the spectrum with my partner I would appreciate her individuality and the fact that she has convictions and a well considered worldview. Its not about a position, its about a person?.

Don't see why not, unless you regard their political views as morally wrong. I've broken off contact with a friend who has turned into an ethno-nationalist and therefore could not be in a relationship with someone like that but if I was with someone who believed that alcohol should be prohibited, which I don't, then it wouldn't be a major problem because I can respect their argument even though I don't agree with it. I wouldn't regard it's prohibition as being immoral, but I certainly wouldn't regard forcibly deporting non-indigenous people as in any way something I could live with.

WayT Level 1 Nov 27, 2018

Yes but I'll admit, if I were single, I might not marry my husband again.

I am single seeking a mate who values a shared global peace musical green tech vision

Its certainly possible, but may not be wise.

Is peacemaking unwise with our oppressors? I see many women in bad marriages so why do they marry ?

Of course it’s possible. But, you do need some common interests, common values and compatible habits.

Fall in love with?....Maybe. The heart is a wild creature and often does things we don't want it to.

Marry? Nope.

I would say it is. The hard part is to stay in love with that person of a long period of time.

I find interesting that diversity and inclusion is a big chunk of a side of the aisle on the political spectrum, everything but one thing. How inclusive that really is?

@Veteran229 how can we get out of this viscious circle?

@Veteran229 there has to be a better way

Not for me. They have to be liberal or at worst, center left. I would have no problem with a believer who didn't go to church ( and I have done that more than once ) than a conservative.

Because political views kind of define the person's character I would imagine it would be difficult unless the person is open minded and able to change. So yes it's possible.

Nardi Level 7 Nov 22, 2018

Maybe harder to do in the American political environment of 2018, but possible around 2003, my ex was from the Houston suburbs, lived in the Dallas suburbs, and had views to match the culture, and I was more centrist for the time, which might as well have been liberal by Texas standards.

Only if you share core values though may disagree on the solution.

I heard that.... one may try to stay off that path but the differences will always emerge and that can be stressful. It would hard for me to make love to a woman who voted for trump for instance. Generally my libido is fine but a racist would torpedo it

Yes as long as you respect each other.

I don't care about political views, as long as I'm getting laid, a person can believe whatever they want to.

Sorry it cool for you but a persons character is important to me “ you have to have heart”

I think you avoid that by finding those things out first.

My sisters husband has a different political view but they do not talk politics. It is a rule in her marriage that started after Obama was elected president.

Sure, but don't expect to make a long-term relationship out of it. Political preferences mirror personal principles and if your preferences are so diametrically opposed, your principles will clash to a degree that makes it impossible to coexist in the same space. I'm sure there are exceptions but this general rule applies to a majority of cases.

Half and half. My Dem dad John, 1904-1979, loved my born-in-Germany Repub mom Alice, 1906-1968, Her parents brought her to America and she attended high school here. After a German boyfriend who’d entered America illegally was deported, she married on the rebound. They stayed together.

Alice, a social, non-political feminist was Repub because from circa 1921 when the ERA was introduced in Congress until after she died, Repubs supported and Dems opposed the ERA.

They joked about always voting to deny either party a one-vote advantage.

My aunt and uncle were married for 50ish years, auntie used to joke that she and uncle used to hold hands going into the polling place so they could cancel out each other's votes. She was Japanese, met uncle during the Korean war (he was stationed in Japan). There was huge anti Japanese sentiment in the US when they married, but they overcame it all. I think they had a good balance and good understanding of what was really important.

I would think opposing political views would lead you with differences of fundamental values. Living and building a life with someone who has a different vision of how to live, raise offspring, and treat others, in my opinion, is not sustainable. You can call in love with someone easily, it's hard maintaining the love.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:228975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.