Agnostic.com

14 2

The Universe is approximately 13.8 billions of years old. Do you think the Universe will continue to live on for billions of years more to come?

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Last I heard our sun has 4 billion years left b4 radically changing earth environment

There's evidence (red shift) that the universe will continue to survive for at least as long as it has existed. The nature of the universe may change, but there's no indication that it will end.

JimG Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

According to Steve's Steady State Theory it already has.

Current models predict that the universe's expansion is accelerating and this will continue for roughly 15 to 20 billion years until the Big Rip occurs. If the acceleration is driven by space itself via something like a non-zero cosmological constant then space itself will eventually rip apart. That is, kinda the end...

[sciencedaily.com]

Since we don't actually know if our models of the accelerating expansion are actually correct, it is wrong for us to conclude that this is in fact the fate of the universe. Though it is currently the best we've got.

As far as what ive heard from cosmos experts it most likely will do so, 13.8 Billion is a huge number! , this is a subject i don't get tired of talking about, Space...

Space is one mysterious thing. I’d love to be able to walk on Saturn’s rings. The true Lord Of The Rings!

I'll give it another week or so.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

You mean the rapture? OMG I better get right with the Lord!!!

Chances are yes.

The Universe will be around long after we and any other living creatures in our galaxy are long gone. How long? I don't know. I don't know anyone who does know. I've heard some guesses, but those are all over the board too.

So, the definitive answer is, damned if I know.

Scientists who are far smarter than I am state that it will and I believe them.

There is a zero-point that will be reached--in the center of the expansion. It will be a "null"...the absence of space/time/gravity. The null will be the entry-point of another "Big Bang". Expansion/null/expansion/null. Sort of like the spark plug of a combustion engine.

Yes, but it is questionable if the earth will.

The universe , yes the earth, no. see so much good stuff like the Andromeda galaxy colliding with the milky way, its all a matter of time , when time itself will end, that's the end, full stop.

Anyone got a UV telescope and spectrometer to check if the 511eV difference between the edge (not the middle) of the Andromeda galaxy and the constellation shows that the collision of the matter preponderance and the void interact according to my theory? The photons are around 512keV but the difference, due to blue shift, is only 511eV.

When Andromeda and Milky Way collide, they basically will pass through each other and eventually merge. Here's a cool video from Hubblecast that details it:

@El-loco try Harvard, Yale, Oxford, or god forbid Cambridge

Sure, but near as we can tell it will end in heat death eventually. Although it's unclear whether that is really an "end" or just part of a cycle leading to a new big bang. Mathematically, time kind of breaks down at the extremes of the BB and heat death, so ... in that sense the universe may prove to be eternal, though, not in the form we now know it as.

I think we'd have to actually observe a proton decay to talk about heat death.

Luckily we won't be around to find the answer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22922
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.