Agnostic.com

9 0

Do all Christians believe in the paranormal?

I feel like it could be said that since Christians believe in Jesus being raised from the dead, turning water into wine, healing the blind, walking on water, and things such as deamons, spirits, turning humans into salt, hair giving super human strength, etc. That one could say all Christians believe in the paranormal/supernatural. At the same time I feel that many Christians would not say that they do because they consider miracles and religion somehow separate. What are your thoughts on this?

Ravenwing 5 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would say yes and super natural,and from my experience most of them are too gullible to even realize that. Jesus healing the blind is the equivalent of modern-day Faith healers and we all know how bogus they are. They thought that people that were epileptic or had mental problems were possess by demons. And miracles and magic are the same thing, if it defies the laws of physics it is physically impossible.

"paranormal (adjective)
para·​nor·​mal | \ˌper-ə-ˈnȯr-məl, ˌpa-rə-;ˈper-ə-ˌnȯr-, ˈpa-rə-\
Definition of paranormal
: not scientifically explainable" -Merriam Webster Dictionary

therefore, yes

All a matter of semantics
Christian :We have miracles, you have black magic, we praise god for it and then we burn you in gods name as witches.

Probably not all Christians. Thomas Jefferson, who was more of a Deist than a Christian, actually created his own version of the New Testament of the Bible, where he took out the miracles and other supernatural things. [smithsonianmag.com]

I’d say they are one and the same.

They claim no to. They also claim magic is from the devil. But,..... they need to buy some vowels.

There is nothing that all Christians believe.

skado Level 9 Nov 23, 2018

Sure there is. They all believe that jesus is the son of god incarnated into a human who died and rose again by definition. Thats pretty paranormal by anyone elses definition.

@Wurlitzer
How do you know they all believe that? Have you talked to them all? Do you believe everything they tell you? Do you believe every Christian believes everything they are told to believe?

@skado no thats just the definitive tennant of being a christian. Have you ever heard of a branch of christianity that didnt hold that as their core belief? I havent. As far as we know thats the one tennant all branches of christianity profess belief in. If they don't believe that then they don't identify as christian. Thats just how the definition of words work.

@Wurlitzer
First, neither the OP nor I have said anything about tenets of branches, that is to say, doctrine. The question was about beliefs that "all Christians" hold. I understood that to mean all individual Christians. It has been my experience that most professed adherents of Christianity (or any other religion) fall well short of being religious scholars, and often know surprisingly little about their own religion's doctrine.

Secondly, what they outwardly claim to believe (in order to fit in) and what they privately believe is often not the same thing, not to mention that most people are notoriously poor at expressing their deepest assumptions about the nature of reality, if they even privately know clearly what those assumptions are.

And, third, in addition to the understanding taken up by the majority, there is a well established minority who, while considering themselves devout Christians, do not interpret the scriptures literally, but as a metaphor, or even as abstract poetry. I've just been reading about Paul Tillich who was one of the most influential Christian theologians of the twentieth century. He openly claimed that God didn't exist in the literal sense, but was an important concept that should be understood in a more abstract way.

People tend to use organized religions as a structure over which to drape whatever worldview they happen to already feel comfortable with. There is just no evidenced-based way to claim that all individual Christians believe anything in particular.

Due to their characteristically closed and brainwashed intellect they would call your astute observation absurd.I agree with you

They may not say that they believe in the paranormal because they think that paranormal means occult and they only believe in the "normal" side of the supernatural from god. But that is because they are wrongly using custom definitions that do not apply to reality. Even if it were true that the paranormal only applied to the occult, they obviously believe in occult power too otherwise they wouldnt be afraid of it.

Most satanists don't believe in the paranormal or supernatural in any sense. To believe in satan requires literal belief in abrahamic mythology.

@Ravenwing thats what Im saying, christians muslims and jews to some extent are the only ones who believe anything about abrahamic mythologies. Satanists are atheists we do not believe satan actually exists as anything but a literary character. Im speaking from the standpoint of the satanic temple that is; satanism does not equal satan worship. Youd have to believe in him to worship him and we do not. Its simply an adversarial mascot to take up to challenge christian hypocrisy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:229681
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.