Agnostic.com

433 21

When did you first doubt religion?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

433 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never really doubted it. I had started listening to atheist channels on YouTube because my children identify as agnostic / atheist and I wanted to encourage them in their free thought. One day it all just clicked - that was about 2.5 years ago.

Probably some combination of familiar Bible stories not making sense logically once I hit the age of being able to think logically and an unwillingness to want to give up listening to rock music or watch popular television and movies to fit into the “Moral Majority” mold of Christianity. I think I was just on the fault line of the “culture war” in Virginia at the time and chose to be on “liberal” side, as in the one that offered the most freedoms.

I wasn't raised with any religion. My parents were both academics who met in college. They had to elope due to religious background differences objected to by one set of grandparents. My dad was a philosophy professor and taught me the evil in the world argument very early. It made logical sense so I didn't really question it.

The first time I went to church is when my grandfather died. I stayed over the weekend at a friend's house so was taken to church with them as I was a little kid. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was and how could anyone believe in this ceremonial BS.

I've always had doubts and hesitancies of one sort or another; they mostly came at a constant, minor rate. I just thought eventually I'd get the chance to probe deeper and then the doubts would become less of a bother. I didn't expect they'd go away exactly. To keep the story short, I probed deeper on a few areas and the bible fell apart for me. After that it's been slowly trying to dig out from the rubble.

I do not recall what age I was, I grew up going to church every week. I just don't think I ever bought into it. None of it makes sense or logic to me. If I'm ever proven wrong, i wouldnt follow. Their god seems like a piece of shit to me

Around the time I was 20, I was always curious as to the existence of higher powers yet never found any evidence supporting it. Part of me would like to believe there's a god out there, but I take 1 loom at the world and realize it's very bleak for one to exist.

yes I went to a free school when I was four and there was no religious education in that learning space and we were free as long as we worked to work on whatever interested us. I opted for reading as I was reading from a really young age - so I escaped all the indoctrination that I heard went on in state schools.

High school

Maybe around age five. Had lost (euphemism) my hamster, and death, coming back... didn't jive w/ my sensibilities. Happily my not-enthusiastic (from the Gk. meaning the god in you) parents didn't press me to attend church past about nine.

Working with Irish Catholics, I was 15/16 years old...

Freshman year in college in my "The Existence of God" philosophy course.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

‘In the Beginning’

Being exposed to the ridiculous belief that I have to fear god, left me opposed. That and a white Jesus.

9th grade world history. It would be about 6 years before I fully shook the indoctrination, and the process was similar to addiction recovery, but I like to think I came out the other side stronger

When I was going through confirmation classes in my parents Methodist church. I told them I didn't believe and they told me that was good with them and I never went back.

My father's mantra was "thank god I'm an Atheist". My mother was an agnostic. I cannot remember a time when I took religion seriously.

At about 13 years of age but it was never pushed in my life. Both parents came from Switzerland & they are a more open society. My father played mental gymnastics at the dinner table to open our minds.

When seeing other peoples intelligent take on the facts that did not add up to scripture. Following blindly has never been my thing. The more I questioned it, the more questions I have

truth Level 1 Dec 20, 2017

At nine years of age I started to doubt what I was being told. At eleven I rejected it entirely. Over the years I have on a few occasions pretended to be religious in order to avoid unnecessary conflict in the family.

Bible class 3rd or 4th grade asking about the people in countries who die without ever hearing The Word and not getting much of a response.

When I first read Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

I can't recall. I was very young when I began to question things. Even though I was raised a Christian, I always believed in reincarnation from as far back as I can remember. I first began to doubt Christianity probably around 13 or 14.

When i was a kid, for the longest time i thought Christmas was SANTA CLAUS'S BIRTHDAY!!!LOL!

I was 10 years old watching my younger brother die from cancer laying in a hospital bed. I couldn't stop wondering why god would cause so much pain for him and our family. That doubt never left my mind and followed me into adulthood. It's preached at a very young age that god is powerful and loves everyone. If that were true then why is the world full of so much pain? Why kill innocent children and make them suffer? When someone dies, especially a child it just pisses me off when people say " They're in a better place" or " It's gods plan". God's plan my ass!

I was in Sunday School, and the teacher was telling us that God wants all of us to be saved. I asked if God wants everyone to be saved, why is the majority of people in this world lost. He said that God loves us so much that he wanted to give us the free will to choose him, That answer totally didn't make any sense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.