Agnostic.com

35 9

Do you think other people generally see you, as you see yourself?

How big is the disconnect between your own self-image and how others think of you (or at least describe you)?

In some areas, I think my view of myself lines up with what other people think of me. However, I've been described as intense, precise, and motherly. All adjectives I never personally associate with myself.

How about you?

silvereyes 8 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

probably have a better opinion of me than i do, but more cuz they only see me when im doing well

I have absolutely no idea. It is something that I've always wondered about though

Only in the summer when I reveal all my tattoos.

Whenever anyone is being himself or herself and not projecting an image which they hope will please others, it is very unlikely that there will be a disconnect between self image and the perceptions of others.

People read my body language and assume I'm going to behave based on what they've deduced about my body language when it's really just temporary emotions or thoughts they are reading, and I usually end up disregarding most of my thoughts when making decisions. Like I come off as scared or weak some times because of the way I grew up, but I've learned to counteract those thoughts and emotions, so it surprises people when I become assertive. This causes a lot of problems because instead of being somewhat intimidated by my body language and therefore more cautious, some take it as a time to "pounce" and then I end up having to fight extra hard to counteract the original impression they got from me which ends up making me look more aggressive when I'm really just trying not to be taken advantage of. I've also been told I have resting bitch face, and people think I'm having condescending thoughts when I'm really just socially anxious, more scared of you than you are of it type deal.

As far as my own experience being an extremely introverted person, others perceive me as snobbish or unfriendly (far from true), I've he been told this is common by other introverts. The saying that "you can't judge a book by its cover" rings true, society will assume all sorts of stereotypes based on appearances. Being heavily tattooed I've dealt the assumption that I'm either a convict or a bad boy tough guy (neither are true). Even in cases of long term relationships and friendships it's my opinion that rarely the other party knows the true self of the other. It would probably scare the hell out of the majority of people to know what truly is going on in other people's head. I think most but not all people try to project personality traits that they assume will make themselves accepted by others around them. Often these traits do not reflect their true selves, leading to hang ups and anxiety trying to keep up the act. All I know is that the more I disconnect from social situations and the older I get, the less I care about what other assume about me, and the more I can be myself.

Good question...ask everyone and get their opinion...maybe had out questionnaires?

I have no idea. I don't even think about such things. Am I a jerk?

I don't think I'm as intense as everyone else seems to. Apparently, I'm quite a force to be reckoned with.

No. Thanks to an opportune constellation of happenstantial factors, the gulf is huge. Build, body language and gestures, posture, mode of speech, vocabulary, style of dress--people see more that isn't there (through their filtered glasses) than is.

Uptight and prissy, naive, innocent; conceited, superior... Oh FFS... I can't even with people. These days I don't bother.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.