Agnostic.com

47 4

Where do you draw the line?

What difference in age is a limitation for you in a relationship? 5 yrs/ 10 yrs/ more?

• 20 votes
  • 35 votes
  • 52 votes
SadbDanae 5 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would like to find a women in about her mid to late 30s' because many women my age really seem to be rather conservative in their thought patterns due to their upbringing in the highly paternalistic culture. I doubt seriously one much younger would find a guy who is 61 to be what they are looking for.

A practice that even if accepted as mainstream shouldn’t alter evolutionary consequences.

I didn't vote because my answer doesn't neatly fit into that poll. My late wife was 16 years older than me, but at that time I was a lot younger than now. At my present age, 60, I will only date 8 years older than me because at this stage of life, I don't want to end up a caretaker again with a partner so soon after my last turn. But I realize also at this stage, that I could be the one needing a caretaker just as much as my partner or that a woman even ten years older than me could be in great health and well out live me. So, I'm leaving the range at 8 years older to hedge my bets and ten years younger, knowing full well that few women that much younger will ever give me a look in these days of widespread cougaring among women 50-55 yo.

Yes Tom there are practical limits and the longevity gap is 81 men 88 women. ...you are spot on inside the practical love window UNLESS YOU ARE LIKE ME RADICALLY SHOOTING TO LIVE PAST 133 YRS of age. ...I need a radical vegan woman to marry maximizing our life expectancy through healthiest lifestyle

@GreenAtheist Your comment is kind of confusing. Maybe you can clarify it a bit. I'll be satisfied if I live another 15 years. Who knows after that?

@TomMcGiverin OK ....my goal is clear to live to be the oldest human 70 years from now with a scientific Feminist Atheist woman enjoying life together with me all those decades

@GreenAtheist I don't care that much about longevity. I care more about quality, which for me would be having a compatible partner who was Agnostic/Atheist, a fellow hipster, and someone who would enjoy music and travelling with me for as long as both of us had the good health to do so.

@TomMcGiverin of course BOTH QUALITY makes longevity possible and worth it to be the oldest couple around

@GreenAtheist Once again, longevity doesn't matter that much to me past a point. I don't want to live past the point that my health or quality of life becomes poor, with or without a partner. Don't care about being the last ones around, because, frankly this country and probably most of the world, are going to be pretty shitty places to live in say 15 years. So why be so excited about living another 30 years? I hope I'm wrong, but I see little evidence to convince me otherwise.

@TomMcGiverin I see abundant evidence of my peers not only to make the future better BUT OUR DUTY AND OBVIOUS NECESSITY to make America GREEN AGAIN. ...SORRY that you feel aligned with the climate change defeatists. ...we elected a GREEN DEMOCRAT JOE CUNNINGHAM to Congress from Charleston not only to stop off shore and arctic drilling but he is an ocean visionary like Bob Ballard where over 70% of the planet can be inhabited under water and managed sustainable

@GreenAtheist Enjoy your optimism. May you live long and prosper. Yeah, I know I'm stealing here. I'm done here Larry.....

@TomMcGiverin peace and long life. ...Admiral Kirk will be born on my birthday and maybe I shall live to see him born BY THE THOUSANDS in Riverside Iowa

@GreenAtheist Everybody needs a dream....

You love who you love. I've dated women in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. In true love the age difference knows no bounds. Here in Virginia Beach, VA I hear that "Oh I wish I could be younger again" from many people. In my book age is just a number. To be honest, there are bad apples in any pot regardless of age and gender. When it comes to dating, more need people rid themselves of the thought of there is a soulmate i.e. the one for them. I’ve personally never believed in the whole concept of “soulmates”. No matter how ahead of the curve you think yourself to be, there will be thousands like you walking the same curve. You will think that you are the only one who has those odd habits, odd idiosyncrasies, or you are the only one awake at that particular hour of the night. But the truth is, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands who are exactly like you. There are plenty of people who would satisfy an individual criteria of Ms. Right and Mr. Perfect. It’s just pure coincidence that you found one of them and were acquainted to him or her and now consider them your “soulmate”. In the end, “the one” is the one you choose, so choose well!!

My stance for many years is its better to be single and lonely than together and miserable with the wrong person. The time we are blessed with on this Earth is very finite. Time spent in a bad relationship is time wasted finding the right one. You can’t find the love you deserve if you’re giving attention to a dead-end relationship. Once you become the person you want to meet wants to find, you will find yourself in the right place to find the person who’s right for you.

You don’t choose who you’re attracted to, but you definitely choose who you fall in love with and (more importantly) who you stay in love with.Real love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. Real love isn’t just a euphoric, spontaneous feeling—it’s a deliberate choice—a plan to love each other for better and worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health. At the end of the day, what matters is that we VALUE and LOVE the people that are in our lives. It's essential to learn that happiness is more than just a feeling. It is also a choice and the result of a series of choices. We have to choose to appreciate and love those around us.

Being in my early 40s I have no problem with marrying a woman in her mid 20s or late 40s

I date a person, not their birth certificate

There isn't one.(Providing it's legal of course) A big difference can come with certain issues or difficulties but if the two people are comfortable with it then so be it.

Generally speaking I'd like to date someone close to my age because we have more shared history. However, I think age is more of a mental state than a physical one. You can be young at 80 or old at 25.

Age is just a number to me. Maturity is a different story though.

I really do think it is totally ridiculous to judge any one by age differences except what is outside of our laws. I know personally one person who thought she would be better off being with some one her own age rather than the one she was with who was 7 years older than she was that became violent when he was drunk and beat the crap out of her when she nagged him about him being drunk. Well, she got her wish when she ran off with this guy her own age. To make a long story short. that younger guy her own age was an alcoholic, and when he got drunk, he would regularly beat the crap out of her. So, age is a very poor gauge by which to measure anything.

All my relationships just happened, there was never any issue of making a choice. Life sends what it does and you make the most of it if you can.

The only legal limit is adulthood. ...but obviously I have no clue about the newest musical groups or code words for joy in the newest and middle generations when I was 43 I dated a woman 66 the mother of a high school class mate....perhaps she chose me to learn code leading her son back to an empty nest ???? I will date a woman 91 in a heartbeat if she loves me and we take bubble baths together sing duets and LOBBY FOR PEACE through GREEN Jobs

My first question is: Why does a line have to be drawn? That's an individual preference.

For me a relationship is not about just two people. It’s about where you are in life.. professionally and personally. To date a person in thier 20’s who’s just starting out would be ridiculous. I’m well established and don’t desire to deal with someone’s mommy issues. Someone too much older may not understand that I have kids that come first. It’s a balancing act. One cannot be selfish.. maybe when I’m older.

To assume that some one much older may not understand the person younger who has kids that come first, from my perspective is false and it is a statement that would have to be demonstrated in every case to be at least most likely. This is funny in a way, because looking back at my family records, I learned that my grand father's second wife, was 40 years younger than he was and they got along as well as those couples that were comparatively the same ages. I'm not t trying to drag you across the threshold, but just to let you know that I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning. If I'm wrong, I am capable of changing my mind.

Why should age difference matter? As long as they are two consenting adults, this matter is no body else's business. A stigma is always created by others who can't mind their own business.

No limit for women older than me. A definite limit for the younger.

Age doesn't matter as much as intentions and connection does. I feel I can relate better to someone closer in age since we are in a similar stage in life.

Jaed Level 5 Nov 28, 2018

Age is irrelevant. In my relationships, I'm only interested in the way that our personalities work together. That being said, there probably isn't much that I would have in common with a 19yo, or a 60yo.

As long she's 18 I won't give a fucking damn we'll wait Until she turns 21 the rare fun commence

Too big of an age difference and it is doubtful you will have that much in common.

I say ten years -/+. I've tried going even younger, but it's too complicated.

I don't draw the line....the line gets drawn at me ?

Ditto.

It would have to do with other things. Like if you dated someone 10 years younger how mature are they about relationships. If I get involved into a relationship I’m devoted all the way til the bitter end.

Oops, I picked 5 years instead of 10. It's still early for me! As for the age thing I think, too, that it depends on the person and how I feel about them. If I loved them with everything I had to give then I'd have to go for it. Why not be happy?

A wise friend of mine (who was dating someone less than half his age) once said "you are only as old as your girlfriend".

I have always considered 10 years the outer limit because someone that younger or older is just in a different place. I have always preferred age-appropriate relationships. Particularly when your partner is younger, you end up being a parent figure / mentor / baby-sitter and that's just too much.

In my previous marriage I was 5 years younger than my wife, and that worked out fine. That's the most experience I have though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:232919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.