Agnostic.com

21 0

Has anyone heard of an Atheist church? How to get one started.

kevinw 4 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is that like a vegan steak?

Only if it's made from soya or Quorn. Hey - you get veggie-burgers. It's all in how you define words.

I'm a bit surprised by the negative reaction to this. It's not literally a church. To be clear, I'm not proselytizing but I see it as a physical place to meet like minded people and to share ideas like this is a virtual space for that.

Okay, social club is a good idea. I would join such a group in the real world. As long as there are no long sermons of a religious type...

If I felt the want or need for church, I'd [re-] join a UU congregation. You can be an atheist there and still be a welcomed member. I left there because I decided it was still too churchy for me. If you're looking for community, I'd recommend a local meetup for discussion or to go to a concert or have a meal or some other activity.

Yes, I tried the UK Unitarians, very open to atheists but they still have hymns and prayers at their meetings - I couldn't cope with that. See my other reply to this thread concerning Quakers, which is where I ended up!

This has been discussed here before. It would be a contradiction. No, sorry. We aren't worshipers.

There's a branch of Oasis here in Wichita. I go when I can, it's very chill. The first time I went it was a bit surreal as it's held at 10:30AM on Sunday morning. They've had speakers from all over and all subjects. There was a professor from WSU who spoke about finding water on other planets, a sex therapist talking about sex of course, there was a couple who spoke about being in the clergy and losing their faith and how they struggled to get out as that's how they made their living. And they usually have a musical guest who's usually a local talent. but with no agenda it's music you'd hear in a bar. It's a trip.

[peoplearemoreimportant.org]

A church of any kind is one place you will never find me, unless it's for a funeral or a wedding for someone I love( d ) or admire( d ).

You mean Sunday assembly?

Sounds like an oxymoron.

I’m going to a UU church that has an active humanist group and an Oasis secular community. I’m curious whether there are things churches can do that secular groups cannot.

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

Oxymoron.png

I used to go to The North Texas Church Of Free Thought in Irvin Tx., near Dallas. I haven't been in a while but they are probably still in operation. Good crowd.

I always wondered about that. I think a gathering of like minded people would be a great idea.

I’ve heard the term in usage, but I would discourage that. There are plenty of better socializing options.

Just join the Satanic Temple, it's pretty much the same thing.

I've heard of these and there are older posts (if you're keen to find them) about people on the site attending such.

But, for me personally, it's an oxymoron...? I mean...aren't these (suppose to be) schools?

Just my two cents.

Define Church? You mean you want to start a social club in the real world or online (we have an online one here), and will there be a Atheist doctrine? I mean, will someone be teaching/dictating to others as how they must become a good Atheist? Will there be open discussion? Rules?

Why?

No there are soft churches like the Universal Unitarians and Bahai who celebrate all religions but basically without 'faith'/gnostiscism, why would we need a church.

Quakers in the UK are very welcoming to non-theists, as they are called. As it happens I'm very active in my local group. All have the same life values, just don't push any religious agenda. They are more concerned with peace and social justice than any afterlife. A more liberal minded set of people it is difficult to imagine. And we don't have a church (which answers the oxymoron comment!) we have a Meeting House. Not sure if the US strain is as open-minded.
Look us up!

There's one in my area. They don't call it "church," but rather "Sunday Assembly." They have a FB page for it: [facebook.com] It's done in cooperation with a local Humanist group who lease some commercial office space. I've been to a few of them. They usually feature speakers who discuss science, there's some musical entertainment, and a potluck at the end. It's nice and tries to provide that sense of community you get at church.

20+ comments in and no one has mentioned the United Church of Bacon.

[unitedchurchofbacon.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.