Agnostic.com

7 5

What's the weirdest news story from your hometown's history?

trigger warning, attached is a very old, strange photo of an elephant being hanged by the neck

My area lore has a few, but the one that sticks out the most is that in 1916, an Asian elephant named Mary came through town with a travelling circus, and killed a man. An inexperienced drifter acting as her handler had been prodding her to keep her on the move while she was trying to eat a piece of melon rind in the road, she lost it and crushed his head, and she was sentenced to death. Unable to find a gun powerful enough to do the job, knowing that poison was unlikely to work, and after several even worse, more violent suggestions, they hung her with a railway crane in nearby Erwin Tennessee. Such a sad story, but a memorable one. I can't get this image out of my head. The violence on an animal of that size is as surreal as anything I've ever seen. Everyone around here knows the story and even the most fascistic conservatives aren't proud of this bit of history.

In 2016 Erwin started an elephant parade and a community initiative to raise money for a local elephant sanctuary to atone for their dark history. It would be nice if we also took such steps to make reparations for the many black men lynched around the same time in the area, but a lot of people around here are pretty slow on the uptake. Babysteps.

A detailed version of the story:
[dailymail.co.uk]

Details about the initiative:
[vipseenmag.com]

Wurlitzer 8 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been down this road. I'm not saying there are demons on it, but it is a very creepy road.

[texasescapes.com]

Please join my group 'hometown love' and share more!!!!

That it horrible. Ignorant people are everywhere.

In the early 20th century, a young man in my town (I knew him in his aging years) painted "Mayflower" on the side of his car. When asked why he named his car "Mayflower," he said, "Because many a fine young woman has come across in it."

Interesting story, and I don't doubt it happened, but this particular picture looks faked.

skado Level 9 Nov 29, 2018

It's the photograph that appeared in the newspaper at the time. It's probably been artificially colorized into that sepia tone and maybe artistically touched up to appear more clear, as Ive seen a granier black n white version that is likely the undoctored photo, but this picture wasnt manufactured from whole cloth. It just appears fake because thats such a surreally unlikely sight. They didnt have the tech for faking photos, just really shitty cameras.

Whitby, North Yorkshire is haunted!

Whitby is a hotbed of paranormal activity, with ghost hunters from around the globe coming to the town each year to experience the paranormal activities which occur in the town. You only have to walk around Whitby alone at night to sample the ghostly atmosphere. Whitby even has a couple of people offering Whitby ghosts walks around the town at night.

There are stories of lost souls, witches, legendary beasts and even the devil himself is rumoured to have visited the area!

Couple spooked after they spot 'GHOST of old man and his dog' on romantic stroll

[express.co.uk]

Whitby was the inspiration for the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker

[thewhitbyguide.co.uk]

I would expect nothing less or more deplorable from the deep south.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:233798
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.