Agnostic.com

32 5

What's your favorite brand of watch?

Mine is Skagen. This guy's been with me for almost 8 years now. Needs a new battery, but is still really worth it.

PolyWolf 7 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like Omega best and have ~20 of them. I also like Concord, Chronoswiss, Cartier, BVLGARI, and many others. I collect watches, almost all mechanical. I don't know how many I have but ~200.

This is my Omega Speedmaster Professional moon watch. It (not this particular watch) was the first watch worn on the moon. It's hand wind and this model is referred to as the sapphire sandwich as the crystals are made of sapphire.

I love it, thanks!

Dude, you might be my watch soulmate. LOL! I think I have between 30-40 watches. Several of them are a little higher end. That Reactor and the Android pictured in my other reply are north of $1K retail, but many of them are just nice looking and from lines I have carried over the years. The OP was talking about Skagen and I own several of those too, including a licensed Disney watch I had to buy at Disneyland at full retail. LOL!

Damn! Waterproof by chance?

@RavenCT Yes. Water resistant to 50 meters. If you want a dive watch, get a Seamaster instead.

The Mondaine Swiss Station Clock-inspired watch. Simple, elegant design, reliable, looks good with anything and always will.

Jnei Level 8 Nov 30, 2018

My favorite timepiece is this Cartier 18K tank. I’ve had it for years. It’s simple and classic. I use omegas at work, they keep better time.

I think that's very beautiful.

Here are some of my preferred watches. The rose gold and black is an Invicta Sub-Aqua Noma quartz chrono. Black one is a Vostok Europe automatic chrono. Rainbow metallic one is a Reactor dive watch (I get tons of compliments on that one). The rose gold dial watch is my Android skeleton watch with a (pricey) Swiss Tourbillon (sp?) movement. The other skeleton watch with the onyx bezel is another Invicta, an automatic. I tried to send two other images up but the site's not taking them. LOL! I have my own line of watches too (Great Timing Inc.). They are just decent, quartz watches with my own branding on them. I was going to send an image of one of them up. I also have an artisan watch from a line called Hardcore. Maybe I'll send it up in a separate reply on this thread. The dial is remarkable.

You can attach 10 images to a post but only 5 to a reply... I'd like to see the others you described.

I could make all those stop in 6 months or less, lol. I just cannot get any watch to function. Can’t wear perfume, either: no matter how heavenly it is in the bottle and on other people...it just don’t do on me.

@CarolinaGirl60 most of my watches pictured have no batteries. =]

The Midnight Planetarium by Van Cleef & Arpels

Nice, I love that one too. Do you actually have that watch?

@shockwaverider -- Um ... well ... I ... er ... no, as a matter of fact. I'd love to have it just for the looking at it. I couldn't bring myself to wear it for fear of damaging it. I'd probably spend another few thousand bucks making an armored case for it. So, not even considering the cost of said "time piece", I shall never have one, but it is my favorite.

@evidentialist Yeah, mechanical watches with a lot of complications are delicate. Perhaps if I make a brilliant investment or win the lottery. If I sold all of the watches I have, maybe...

I wear Timex indiglo watches so I can see the time in the dark ...yeah, I know our phones have the time, but it is habit just to look at my wrist.

I have some inherited Seiko and Cartier watches but they are to schmancy fancy for me.

My dream watch would be....

Well?

@Sticks48Are you Santa?

Here we go with comment number 3. LOL. Here are my Hardcore and GT watches...

The Hardcore watch is a handmade reproduction of a piece of artwork by Steve Soffa (the owner of the watch line). It has a few diamonds sprinkled throughout the dial and I think it's lovely. The watch has an automatic movement, but a cheaper, mineral crystal. It really should have a sapphire crystal, but whatevs. LOL! My GT watch is just has a Japanese quartz movement (but hey, it's got a sapphire crystal!).

I like chunky guy watches better, like Invicta. I am actually a watch dealer and used to carry the Skagen line. I've met the former owners of the company who sold out to Fossil several years ago for a boatload of money and their employees got screwed. It's a shame because they built something great with their company and until their departure, treated their employees and customers well. Now that Fossil owns it, they cater exclusively to brick and mortar retailers and sell directly to Amazon, eliminating any third party sellers (like me). Sad.

I didn't know that. That sucks. Like because I appreciate your perspective.

Haven't worn a watch in ten years.

ex hippie ?

@magicwatch No. Visually impaired. Watches have become superfluous to my life. I still have three, one of which is a Rolex, but they're just taking up space in the jewelry box.

@KKGator have they more meaning ? I have a pocket watch from my ex which she gave me on my 21st 1972 I still have it its Russian

@magicwatch Nope. No meaning.

nothing really matters

@magicwatch In all honesty, no, not really. The meanings we individually put on things are only significant to us. We can't expect anyone else to place the same import on anything.

@KKGator You can get braille watches, I have several of them. This is my favorite [ebay.com]😛f:0

Even though it is cheap and quartz, it is very cool and a good conversation starter.

@shockwaverider Thank you for the suggestion. I've gotten used to not wearing a watch. I generally don't wear any jewelry at all.
If I need to know what time it is, I can ask my phone.

As far as starting conversations goes, I don't like people enough to start conversations with the ones I don't already know.
Again though, thank you for the suggestion, it was very kind of you.

@KKGator You're most welcome.

Its beautiful but you misspelled 'favourite'

In 'merica, he's right. Missing the u from color, favorite,...

@shockwaverider I know, I'm teasing 😉

@Amisja Cool. 🙂

Android

Did you know there was an actual watch brand called Android? They won a legal battle over the name with Google and so Google bought them. LOL!

@IAMGROOT Did not know that! Must be nice to big big enough to just buy your problems.

I have both Android watches and Android phones...

It doesn't matter. I have watches but do not wear them. Sometimes I replace the batteries in them and still end up not wearing them. I might wear a watch twice a year.

The day I retired I took my watch off and put it on the bedside table. Ten years later it's still there. I think it stopped a few years ago. If I need to know the time I have my cellphone, the microwave oven, and the sun. My skill at telling the time from the sun, which ten years ago was pretty much limited to daytime or nighttime, has improved considerably. Of course this may not be available to those unfortunates who live in less salubrious climates.

I have a bunch of watches. I don't actually know how many I have, but I can go at least two weeks and not wear the same watch twice. I know there are 6 Armitron, 2 Relic, 1 Fossil and several others. I even buy cheap watches at Wal-Mart once in a while. When they die I usually just throw them away. The jeweler gives me a discount on watch batteries when I take 5 at a time.

I use my phone if I need to know the time

i just ask my cat. it's always meow-o'clock

I have meet people that have paid an insane amount of money for a wrist watch. Even though I roll my eyes in silence and I don't say anything, the question that comes to mind is....... why?

Personally, I find them to have a subtle power, the kind I strive for in my life. I try to be effective and always moving forward until and unless I need to move back and rethink things. This symbolism is something I find to be beautiful. There's also a certain style and grace to them that makes me feel fashionable without being ostentatious (which is to say I don't usually go for the really expensive watches, but feel they are worth it if they fit my personal style well). Masturbatory? Perhaps, but I've never judged anyone for that, myself included.

@PolyWolf Fair enough.... I did ask why, didn't I?... I truly mean it and I appreciate the response. We all get some sort of something from different things and being different is one of the things that makes this place interesting

@IamNobody oh, sorry, wasn't trying to be defensive about it. I was trying to genuinely explain it! I appreciate that you asked rather than what most do, which is either silently judge or actively bash it.

@PolyWolf I get it, no need to apologize. You did genuinely explained, that's exactly how I read it.

@IamNobody For me, it's a lot like people who love cars. The engine is so powerful and purrs like a wildcat in heat, but on my wrist and far more affordable. ?

@josh_is_exciting Oky doky, thanks !!... I am still happy with my smartphone but I hear what you're saying.

@josh_is_exciting Just to make sure, I didn't say smartwatch...I said smartphone. I carry my phone all the time everywhere I go, the clock is just one of the many features embedded in the device. I don't need to carry an additional wrist watch, that's what I am trying to say. Of course that's just me. It's interesting to learn other points of view, that's all.

Interestingly, Timex just reentered the wind up mechanical watch market recently, like two years ago, and I believe this year, reentered the automatic ( wrist action winding ) mechanical watch market. It is using a Japanese mechanism with 21 jewels for $249.99. I have always had a love for these type of watches, and nostalgia for Timex. Plus it is one of the cheapest quality watches of this type you can buy. I ended up recently getting a similar Bulova instead due to preferring to buy locally rather than online. Very happy with it.

Casio Men's MQ24-7B2 Analog Watch with Black Resin Band. For me this is the perfect watch! Easy to read. Classic styling. And I don't cry when it dies. Currently $10.19 on Amazon!

I wear a cheap Casio which I replace every 20 years or so. I think some watches look very nice (like yours) but don't think a watch, as jewelry, enhances how I look. Neither do I like watches as status symbols as they were 50 years ago. But again, your watch looks very nice.

OCJoe Level 6 Nov 30, 2018

Sundial.

Cheap. Only use one working with children because i can't check my phone.

I did find one as a kid, after a car wreck. I don't know its make: found around 65. My Dad took it and fixed it, and kept it. Jeweler said the gems were real and it was gold. My sister, who doesn't talk to me, asked my sister who does if I wanted that and his flag from military funeral. I should have said just yes, but, in for a penny go for a dollar. I asked for the items I gave my Mother from overseas in the military. That was six months ago. Stick with my phone and cheap watch.

you know watches, mine is a Maurice Lacroix , which skips ten seconds on on the sweep hand because the battery is low, but still keeps good time have had it for over ten years. 2007 my girlfriend gave it to me and she has a smaller scalled version

Now, my iPhone. Used to be my Gucci.

I've always like automatic movements with complications - fine craftsmanship, like chronometer level. I had a Rolex two-tone datejust with a black pyramid dial that my (now ex) wife gave me when my consultancy passed the two year mark of profitability.

Unfortunately I had to sell it during the recession.

I have been enjoying some of the unique watches on Kickstarter - the one I backed most recently is below.

My next "expensive" watch will probably be a Breitling.

What is the Atlasphere? 10 Unusual New Watches from Xeric, via @Kickstarter [kickstarter.com]

Me too. The Atlasphere auto is pretty cool for a cheap watch. Too bad they don't have a chronograph or a swiss movement. Still tempting but I went on a watch spree a few months ago... 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234528
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.