Agnostic.com

32 3

Is it worth moving to a blue state?

I live in a red state. There are churches on every corner. Police officers have to direct traffic after church lets out on Sunday. "What church do you go to" is a question I hear all the time.

How much religious freedom does living in a blue state grant you vs. a red state? Is it worth a move?

silvereyes 8 Oct 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can only give you my personal perspective on this, but I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life and no one has ever seemed to care what my religion is/isn't. I've rarely been asked, and when given the answer that I'm non-religious, it has never been made a big deal of. There are a few churches in my town, and the bells ring every Sunday but I never see large crowds congregating. There may still be plenty of believers, but going to church doesn't seem to be a priority in this area.

I've lived in California for as long as I've classified myself as agnostic and I agree with WickedNicki about people not really caring here. I would point out, however, that you might want to avoid parts of a blue state that lean red, or very small towns because people will get into your business more in those areas.
I also jokingly refer to the bar (or other regular hangout) as my "church" when people ask.

Your area of Massachusetts sounds nicer than my area. In Fall River, some stop talking to you, some will try to argue with you as to why you need xtianity, they'll tell you that you're going to hell, and when that doesn't work they'll talk about you behind your back and stop being your friend. They also keep reminding you they voted for Trump (as they call him) the Savior of America.

I've noticed that the "blue" states have a higher cost of living. I live in Florida which is half red half blue (blue=south red=north) and have lived in both sections and I don't see much in the way of religious freedom as you might think. Granted it's a little less where I live but it's still there and when I lived in the northern half of the state much like where you live there is a church on every corner. While I don't where my atheism on my sleeve but I won't deny it either. When I lived in the northern half of the state if asked I would tell them I was an atheist and I would get the "looks" but I would ignore them and carry on with my day. But I would have to say if your looking for a change of scenery then you should just b e sure about it.

I grew up in a very red state, and don't think I would ever want to move back there. Now live in Oregon. The larger urban areas are not very religious, but small town can be quite religious. Have hear that Oregon and Washington have a much higher percentage of non church goers. I feel quite free of religion. And feel safe saying that I am an atheist.

Portland is expensive but I live in Albany, about an hour south. My 1BD/1BA is $525/mo though if I had to replace it it would probably be around $700. The Amtrak station is 6 blocks from my place so, even without the expense of a car, I can hop on a train anytime and use the excellent and still improving public transportation in Portland. It is pretty good here, too. As a disabled senior I can set up a ride to anywhere in town for $2 and they pick me up at my door on my schedule. I've noticed even supermarket prices are a little cheaper outside of Portland. But it is great to have access to get my urban fix every once in a while.

I live in California, therefore it is the best state to live in. 😛

I can't afford it; that is why I picked Florida instead. It is purple where I live.

I think I'm very glad I moved to New Mexico from Texas.
One huge relief is that my Senators now care more about actual humans and actual freedom than they do about forcing their religion and their guns down everyone's throats...

Of course NM has its problems, but it's so nice to generally not feel completely outnumbered by bigoted gun nuts. (I used to like my guns, and I still have them, but now I really don't have much interest in target-shooting or anything)

Wow, I didn't think it could be that bad over there, makes me feel fortunate here in the UK. Religion is in the minority here, I guess most of the population are apatheists.

I come from the solid blue state of New York, and though I certainly miss the flavor, there really is very little chance of attaining upward mobility due to the insane taxes, over-priced homes and co-ops, which is why we moved to the purple state of Florida three years ago. Thankfully, though there are people who are insanely religious here, there are also many who think and act progressively, so all in all, though I miss many things, this was a good move. As far as religious freedom goes, and I can only speak for the state of NY, if you live in the tri-state then you'll meet many liberals and people who, even if they believe in god, don't base their whole lives on stories from thousands of years ago. However, if you were to live in upstate NY, which is rural, you will find mostly conservative bible thumpers. It's not all about the state itself, but what part of the state you live in. For instance, if you live in Austin, Texas, you'll be around a more liberal, much less religious crowd, but venture out, and it's redneck heaven.

To me, absolutely. I wouldn't want to spend my life somewhere like Iowa or Alabama. I'm hoping to move to Portland, ME someday.

I come from Seattle in Washington state. While like many places there are lots of churches I surely don't recall anyone in anyone else's face regarding what church you went to nor do I recall local and state politicians pushing religion. I'd check out other blue states if red states shove religion in your face.

SamL Level 7 Oct 27, 2017

Depends what you are looking for. I can't stand the cold and I moved from NY to Florida 26 years ago. At least FL is a purple state.

I live in a blue state, we don't have religion in our faces all the time, but we're broke. lol

@silvereyes The state is broke. We personally have a few $.

@silvereyes They're all crooks. 🙂

I'm strongly considering moving to another country for these reasons. More for the freedom to have access to health care and be away from nutters with assault rifles than for religious freedom. I live in a college town in a blue state, and even though my roommate is religious he's respectful about our differences (we both are). My atheism is never really an issue with anyone I speak to about it.

For example, I remember when looking at apartments, my now-current landlord, when selling the apartment to me, mentioned "there's this church over here, and that one there..." I mentioned I'm not religious. He said, "Oh. OK." And that was that. No big deal made.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 27, 2017

I think you"ll like Seattle. I only know a few friends and colleagues who go to church. I feel here you'd have to "come out" as a church-goer. But my social circles are very liberal so other people may tell you a different story.

No.

I was an Air Force brat. I've lived in a lot of different states. Religion makes up the majority of the population in every one. You can't get away from religion.

@silvereyes I think your point was more about places were acceptance and tolerance of those who were not religious is pretty wide spread? I'd take that too.

It depends. If you want to be around more peopel who think liek yourself, then probably yes. If you think your viewpoint should be represented even if in the minority, then probably no. You can't change or educate minds if you aren't there. Sadly, most minds aren't open enough for change.

You might find other perhaps more important factors in moving areas. I live in a blue state and it seems nobody talks about religion, but there are a lot of veterans and vets get preference for hiring so if you apply for jobs vets apply for, technical ones for example, you may be at a big disadvantage..

Arizona is a red state and I live in a very red part of it. I’ve lived here for thirty-five years. I’ve thought about moving at times but then who would fight the good fight? My daughter is going to college at Flagstaff and loves it there though because she doesn’t have to put up with the crap that she did growing up and she’ll never come back to live. Schools are terrible here. Me, nah, I’ll just die here but your young so maybe.

gearl Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

Since the number of representatives is capped, the electoral college punishes us for losing states, but that also reflects in congress. We need good smart people to cluster in purple states.

If your question is another way of saying "How much do people care about religion in blue states vs red states" then sure, it's worth the move if you don't want people to bother you about it. However, I would also argue that many in the closet atheists need people like you around BECAUSE red states are so relgious. For example, Seth Andrews from "The Thinking Atheist" prefers to live in Oklahoma (a red state) for that very reason.

I moved from a blue state, California, to another blue state, Oregon. In both states I lived in small towns that were as red as a fire engine with, as you say, a church on every corner. But in California I was an hour away from Los Angeles and in Oregon I am an hour away from Portland, both vibrant, metropolitan cities that offer me an oasis full of people with functioning brains behind their open eyes. If I were to awake into some nightmare where I was living in a red state I would crawl for days over broken glass to escape even if all I could afford as living accommodations when I arrived is a small canvas tent. Yes. Sell your house, your jewelry, your children but get outta there!

I live in a blue state (Minnesota), and there are lot of churches, but I'm not typically asked what church I go to. That said, their are still bible thumpers up here. Michele Bachmann, in my view was an embarrassment to Minnesotans for a long time. I can't explain how she was elected so many times.

I'll say this, anyone who has ever said 'Minnesota nice' has not spent much time here. It's more like Minnesota passive aggression. The religious here are not always in your face about it, but that doesn't mean they are quite.

We also have a lot of Muslims here. And a fair number of Jews too. We find ways to coexist. But there are always exceptions to the norm.

what is a a Blue state?

NAME Level 1 Oct 27, 2017

Moving from one state to another may be more complicated than it seems! Before you move to another state, think carefully! Do you really want to move because you don't like that religion is too developed in your state? Moving from one state to another is very expensive. You will need to find a new place to live and a new job. Of course, it's best to find work ahead of time. After all, the biggest problem when moving is finding a new job and a new place to live. Choosing a new place for permanent residence maybe even more difficult than finding a job, but in extreme cases, you can always call [almightyconstructionnw.com] . This service can help you with the restoration of your driveway or backyard!

Blue states also tend to offer better government services. I have a very serious medical issue and I am extremely fortunate to live in Maryland where I am fully covered by medicaid. If I lived in a red state, I would most likely be completely fucked.

@silvereyes Conservative christians preach compassion but do not put their money where their indoctrination hole is.

I’ve lived in Florida and was being pushed to go to church or get religious. So my answer would be try to pick a blue state cuz you answered your own question. No one pushes you here in mass

I remember Police being around when people were going to worship in Australia. the Mums and Dads and kids were Muslim so the cops weren't there dealing with traffic. I just felt very sad and slightly embarrassed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.