Agnostic.com

16 7

Would having a Drag Queen come for storytime at a daycare be acceptable where you live?

The following article is about a Drag Queen coming to a daycare in Montréal for storytime. This does not surprise me and is one of the reasons I really enjoy my home town (tolerance). What do you think the reaction would be in your area?
[cbc.ca]

Lukian 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dr Venkman described what would happen in my town nicely: human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

considering that children love fantasy and ''make believe,'' I don't have a problem with it. I'm assuming the story time has nothing to do with personal rights to gender expression, etc?

My boys and I would love it. The schools around me.. not so much.

It would absolutely never happen in my rural community. Would it be ok by me? Sure.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 3, 2018

Threads like this are why we need some Xians around here. Otherwise, we just get a liberal echo chamber of tolerance and reason. That's fine but it doesn't make for a compelling dialogue. There's no conflict.

Since we don't have an active Xian component to offer that conflict, I'll play Devil's advocate and post what I believe that person might say. I'm neither a Xian nor a parent but this person is both.

"This is disgusting! I would never allow my child to be exposed to such perversion! GOD made male and female! He did not make males who WANT to be females and such sinful behavior is repugnant in His eyes and His wrath will be felt at the time of Judgment! I pray for your souls!"

We need some Xians here.

Lol!

Lol. Nope we don't need Xtians here. I was asking essentially would the Drag Queen feel in some way endangered if this would happen in your neck of the woods.

@Lukian I know what you were asking, I felt it exposed a larger issue.

Would not go over well in my area, but I don't care who's reading to my kid as long as he's engaged.

Hi Ali, long time no see!

@Lukian What's shakin' bacon?

@Alimacbean I kinda asked first...

@Lukian Hanging in there!

@Alimacbean I hope it's not upside down? Wink!

@Lukian Upside down, sideways, and spinning in a circle!

I think parents around here would have a fit, but I think it would be awesome.

I would have no problem but here in rural NC it wouldn't be accepted .

One of the more famous drag queens in Chicago is a very good friend of mine, and they have been welcomed all over the city at Story Time with Drag Queens events.

There was an article on the BBC about a head teacher who is a drag queen in his spare time. No one really bothered.

that was honest.

Depends. I know people who would throw a fit, some who laugh about it and others who would think it was great.

maybe the undertone of the question is, would a Drag Queen feel safe doing this (if invited) and been part of a news article?

@Lukian
Sure, nothing would happen to them here.

@PhoebeCat Las Vegas! of course!

Would the Drag Queen be simply reading the story or giving hilarious commentary and sticking around for makeup tips? Either way I highly doubt anyone would even bat an eye (pun intended) in the very open and accepting state of Hawaii. In NC however things would be mighty tense....especially if god forbid (pun again intended)....the Drag Queen had to use a restroom.

No way would it be acceptable where I live.

that's kinda an answer I was looking for.

@Lukian I didn't read the article. In regards to one of your other comments, yes a drag queen would most likely feel endangered, maybe less in the moment... in public... with lots of ppl around. But later on? With nobody around? Yikes!

Hard to say. I do think there would be some push back from the religious folks in this town. 😟
It is a college town so the issue would be with the permanent residents.

It should be accepted anywhere.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236243
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.