Agnostic.com

10 2

Weirdest part about 'Christian' holidays/celebrations/customs?

What do you think is the weirdest tradition we up keep in western culture? Xmas, Easter, Halloween etc. (If you were new to our society/culture what do you think is strange about common holidays customs, etc?)

Chooseluv 5 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Costumes are fun. Dirty donkey stables do NOT birth alleged baby gawd through alleged vaginal virgins. ...bloody torture deaths are not survived and candy eggs on dogshit lawns. ...you can't fool me when I was 5 years old....I hate religious lies making fun of us kids if we want presents we have no jobs to buy anything ourselves

Those holidays are crazy days people follow blindly without knowing why

kaso Level 1 Dec 4, 2018

To my mind it is the idea of Xtians sitting down and feasting, thanking their God for everything whilst elsewhere there are people, men, women and children literally starving to death.

This is not religious but cultural. And only in Australia can this happen! We have a day off for a horse race, a day off the day before the AFL Grand Final, and a day off for the Queen’s birthday which is not on the day of the Queen’s birthday and Australia doesn’t really give two hoots for the Queen anyway. Love Australian pragmatism!

People in the past put burning candles on dried pine. It's so obvious your going to burn your house down.

They are all taken from pagan religions.
Thats odd. You would think all of their holidays would prove their one true religion.

I don't know about others, but my weirdest personal tradition is to drink red wine and sing along to Jesus Christ Superstar on Easter. Still do it. I find it much less morbid that the church services that are all about death and suffering.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

@Gwendolyn2018 I’m with you there! Isn’t Herod’s song just terrific. “Prove to me that you’re no fool, Walk across my swimming pool”

@Gwendolyn2018 Quite agree the original performance in the film was iconic. Best Herod ever!

Hunting for eggs on Easter makes me laugh in bafflement, but at least it gives me a reason to hang out with family on a day that I would otherwise ignore.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 17, 2018

Easter the rabbit and eggs are signs of fertility and the rites of spring. These are German traditions.

What I find weird is that none of it is xtian. Mithra and Horus were born on December 25th, not Jesus of Nazareth. The Xmas tree is part of the pagan Yule celebration, and the bible even says NOT to bring trees into your house and decorate them.

Precisely. Not a single smart follower in that bunch, they decided to take a pagan holiday. Their supposed 'savior wasn't even born in December. Shows how determined the asses were.

Xtians don't CARE about right and wrong, only about belief. They actually take pride in their ability to believe falsehoods.

PrEyer "without ceasing" as ordered by the alleged bible gawd yhwh Jesua Nasoret NEVER EXISTING except in an insane book called bible

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236421
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.