Agnostic.com

21 21

Do you enjoy fixing things?

Sewing skills come in handy. A month ago, I bought a red purse. It quickly became harder and harder to zip.

So I put on a backpacking headlamp, gathered red thread, needle and a thimble and looked at it closely. Threads were unraveling at one end.

Took 15 minutes to sew the zipper and leather together. Tight enough to zip easily. Not too tight, or it wouldn't close all the way. I used the same holes.

Now the purse is better than new. The zipper is firm and easy to use.

Don't you love it when you fix something?

Life is made up of small successes.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I get a lot of pleasure fixing rather than replacing and making rather than buying.

I love taking things apart, I love learning how they work, how to make them better. But putting back together doesnt usually work out well. You know what they say. Once your break something, you never really can put it back together fully,

I am what you may call a terminal tinker which I got from my dad. I like to create and repair. Done a fair share of on the spot repairs be it electrical, mechanical, or structural.

I can solder to Mil-Spec needs,shiny,no voids,almost as if polished,when done,most things mechanical are easy for me.Every door hinge in my house is oiled for silence, Wiring switches,again no problem, I used to build missile test equipment in California,for about 10 years,cables as big around as some peoples thighs.

I've always enjoyed doing stuff like this. Since my hands have been compromised by neuropathy it's more challenging, but I'd still try to fix something if I can.

Do your hands tingle like gone to sleep or is it painful like arthritis ?

@GreenAtheist I have shooting prickly pain in my palms/fingers and numbness in my finger tips, combined with limited dexterity. It's difficult to grasp things or work with small details. I used to do a lot of sewing and handiwork, but now I can't even feel a needle if I try to use it.

@bleurowz does warm water soaking help ?

@GreenAtheist The only things that are going to work are time, patience, and self-care. I take certain meds, adjusted my diet, and do special exercises to make it manageable. Tried so many other things, nothing else works.

I get great satisfaction when I make something work again. It all started when I locked my keys in my trunk before going camping, lol one whole day on the picnic table at the campsite figuring out how a lock works. I also upcycle, I have about 30 projects in my craft and woodworking shop on the go since I retired, each day is a different task.

I am capable of fixing things. I don't really enjoy it though. i just mostly fix stuff, because i am just frugal by nature.

In today's disposable world though, there really isn't all that much that is fixable. It seems the costs to buy the stuff needed to fix something is about the same as buying something new.

Indeed, I do enjoy fixing things.

I not only love to fix things, I hate to waste anything...

I love sewing...I have repaired many zippers, put patches on elbows and knees...

I love the internet because I have learned to fix all sorts of things, including lamps and my car!

Nice job on the bag...nice save, I should say...it also trains your mind to solve problems and to look at creative ways to make something better!!!

@thinktwice

Thank you, darling! I appreciate your encouragement and kindness.

Yes,youtube has many subjects,made up of people who made self help videos.

I fix everything mechanical.

I'll add--except cars. I'm done with doing that. I'll happily pay a mechanic.

I can fix anything. I don't work on automatic transmissions though.. I pay the man for that!

A boss of mine once told his boss that if I couldn't fix it, it ain't broke. I'm a geared and love fixing things.

Boy Scouts and my parents taught me to fix not landfill useful items...good job YWCA

YouTube makes it so much easier now!

Car breaks I take it apart and fix same for the computer. Rip a pair of pants I sew them back together. I can fix just about anything. I do get annoyed when I get stuff made in China that is below standards that have to be reinforced or repaired before it can be used.

Never had the skill or patiencd?

Good job.

Yes, I like the sense of satisfaction when I fix things on my own, usually home repairs, but sewing projects too. Beautiful purse! You can have an extra sparkle of pride in your eyes, when you've got it on your shoulder!

I do. I’m also very crafty.
Have you heard of Repair Cafes?

[nytimes.com]

[repaircafe.org]

I work on surgery when not at ED . I like take things apart actually !! ???

@irascible sorry to hear that ? I hope u feeling awesome now ??

@irascible 20 yrs ago we used to keep u at hospital 5-7 days ! Things have sure changed . Stay healthy ???

I love to fix things. I just moved to a new place & fixed the screen door, a sticky drawer & a few other things. I can fix crazy stuff like jigsaw puzzle pieces & glass Xmas tree onrnaments. & I just sewed on a button for my boyfriend too.

Carin Level 8 Dec 4, 2018

@Bendog Or is that a speed dial button.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236678
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.