Agnostic.com

22 27

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"

Doug McLeod

Happy middle of the night or the wee hours of Tuesday. 🙂 I hate waking in odd hours but I can make use of the time. So I'm reading on here and kicking myself for considering online dating again. 😛

Knitfreak 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember that as child that hands interlocked together was said here is the steeple and open up are all the people

What scrapes me in all the wrong places is when xtians claim that natural disasters (such as lightning setting a church on fire) are their magical sky daddy's punishment for whatever thing they want to pick on...gay marriage or women's rights or whatever their favorite thing to pick on might be that week instead of the possibility that such a punishment might be because of their highly UN-xtian hatred of that group. Cherry picking like petulant four year olds...like t-rump, never willing to see their own faults. Disgusting.

Funny how lightning hits more churches than gay bars, isn't it?

Only if it’s grounded. They could just plug it into the chairs and hold ceremonies when it storms. Well, it would make for an interesting test of faith. ????

Yes, such things are a contradiction. I find it interesting that even the deeply religious resort to science when push comes to shove.

...and then deny they even considered science.

Not all municipalities make churches adhere to building codes. Those that don't suffer more damage. Two of the worst (usually) types construction projects for that I oversee are churches and municipal projects because they expect the "rules" will be different for them. They won't be! They will be the same as for any other project.

What about herses? you pick bodies up in a clandestine way in an unmarked van. then with loads of money, they pretty you up and put you in a box within a large car with big windows. what is that actually all about apart from the obvious money?you make a car so you can see the box that you're going to see anyway. it's just fucking crazy I think. then to add insult to injury they bury the box in the ground to rot or burn it only to say what a great send of there giving you. how the fuck by there own stupid beliefs is the box or herse even relevant apart from money?

or if your even more unlucky and really want to splash out you can have a coffin that doesn't rot and protects your corps from the elements. fuck me even Houdini couldn't climb over a multicoloured bridge that's very hard to see trapped in a metal box after unburying himself.

At least you stand a good chance of meeting a fellow insomniac with whom you can while away the wee hours of the morn.

Interesting but on another level. Since churches are tax exempt does that mean they are excluded from local building codes? The rod might be forced on them by the local codes. Or maybe they're afraid Satan will strike them.

@josh_karpf I noted the leading cause of fire is arson. Maybe 'God' doesn't like the messages from his house!

When I was a Christian my church had insurance policies in place. If they were really confident of God's benevolence would they have paid for those policies?

The church was pissed about lightning rods when they were first introduced. They said "it thwarts God's will." Which always made me laugh because if he's being thwarted by a metal rod he can't be all powerful. Besides, if he's burning down your church, maybe you are the wrong denomination.

The building I live in used to be a church. It still has the steeple on it and I call that steeple "the lightning rod".

that is a good use for the building... a home. I've always wanted to buy an abandoned factory, live in it and roller skate around 😛

I wanted to live in a school, so I could ride my gocart around the hallways,!

@Ad4hubby and arnies: I actually live in an obsolete psychiatric hospital, rather huge building, and perfect for my greyhound, who can run indoors if the weather is wet - she does not care much for rain.

All excellent ideas! I also talked with someone who wanted to buy an old Nike missile site and live in the silo. 🙂

Good morning, I gave up pretending that I would go back to bed and made coffee. The chihuahuas have made themselves comfortable under the covers. I am writing to you to invite you to join Hand crafters group here. I see you knit.. I hope you have discovered books on cd (or tape) because you can knit while you listen. Just a tip . We have way more men than women in the group. By the way, the chirch person m,ay just have a degree in physics and follow the Arab saying of "Believe in Allah but tie your camels."

I finally said "uncle" also 🙂 nap will happen later and for now most of my work for the day is done. YAY

I was thinking of just that saying. I know it as : put your trust in Allah but tie your camels feet (for letting them graze, they had this thing where it could still move, but not as fast, or not run) Islam actually brought a lot of enlightenment at some time ... including better rights for women. But one would not know this today looking at the fundamentalist version we hear most about.

I originally joined this site for online dating. However, I have found so much more. A really cool site of like minded people. I'm still open to date, if I can find someone near to me.

that appears to be the trick 😛 But more and more are joining! There's hope for us all!

@Ad4hubby it's like the snowball rolling down the mountain side! Slowly gettin bigger!

Here is the church, here is the steeple, open the door and see all the people pretending to be something they're not.

A scientist will tell you is good application of science. And don't kick yourself... you are not alone and this site proves it. I don't know if there are aliens... but I know you are not alone when you are on this site. And besides... I am sure is mandatory according building codes.

The selling of lightning rods was an art that has sort of went the way of the dinosaur. Apparently there were too many burned barns and houses in days of lamp lighting. Rather than think somehow the lamp got knocked over, people started blaming lightning. Who would want to look stupid? Insurance companies put in clauses to not cover "acts of god." Remaining believers then bought lightning rods like crazy. I still see them on old buildings but nobody buys them today.

Your electrical service provides pretty solid grounding, not sure they are needed anymore. Antenna's on roof are a different story, they need lightning arrestors.

Never thought of that, but it's correct. Why would they put a lightning rod up when they just need to have faith?

It's to go with their big pointy hats...don't want to clash...and a good place to have lightning strike blasphemers...

Online dating sucks. Feels so impersonal to me. Not to mention the fact that anyone can say/be whatever they want behind a keyboard/monitor. I miss the good ol' days when people interacted face-to-face and got to know each other in person.

There is something to that - but mind you, first impressions even at a live meeting can be really different after you have gone out with them for a week.

A friend of mine was always really careful when meeting new girls at weddings. He said "At a wedding, they look the best, and are on their best behaviour that they ever will be"

He must have had a bad experience.

I totally agree. I like to tell people online that I am walter payton 😛 It seems like mostly bs and games. An endless buffet of humans...

@BanjoTango I'm also a natural skeptic. I've heard a lot of BS in my time, so I'm pretty good at spotting it. 😉

"The lightning strikes the righteous and the unrighteous" - yeah, how come 🙂

Reminds me of a Samoan who was being shown pictures of Angels by a Catholic Priest, as the power of God was explained to him.

"Hey", he said "What for those Angels got Wings" ?

A bit obvious when you think about it.

Funny how that works...lol. kick hard before you think about your last statement...lol.

WTF!
Ya'll done woke my tired ass up!
Thanks A LOT HEATHENS!
😉

...now to see if I can snooze for the next 45 minutes before REALLY getting up... UGH!

I tried to go back to sleep and failed... thank goodness for naps

@Ad4hubby BAD idea that nap was... overslept!! OOPS! Oh well!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.