Agnostic.com

18 15

Three-quarters done and ready to give up. Have you ever felt like that?

Am making a Christmas stocking for my daughter's new husband, Matt. Claire and Matt are coming to my home to celebrate Christmas. It wouldn't do to have stockings for just Claire and me.

As an embroidery novice, the "a" nearly killed me. But if I tear it out and start over, the next one may be worse.

After doing the "M," I ran to my artist ex-husband for advice.

"I can't embroider a straight line," I said ruefully. "Don't worry, the slants give flair," Terry replied. That cheered me up.

Now all I have to do is embroider a "t" to match. (sound of slitting wrists)

I'm off to work out to release tension. Think I'll sleep on it. Will feel better in the morning.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Patience....

Kudos for doing this yourself. I would have wrote his name on a piece of duct tape & slapped it on the stocking because that's about as crafty as I can get

@tinebean

Very funny! When my daughter was 16, she cut two slits in her jeans. Of course, it continued ripping in the butt until the rips were from seam-to-seam.

TWICE I repaired the butt rips, only to have her tear it again. The third time, I triple-sewed the butt area, slapped a piece of duct tape over the stitching and wrote with a large, red felt pen:

LOVE, MOM

Drove to her dad's house. When Claire answered the door, I held out the duct-taped butt: "Here you go." Claire burst into laughter.

Unfortunately, I had triple-sewed the knees for good measure. Claire asked me to remove stitching in the knees. I laughed and did it for her.

The fun of having a teenager.

Go to a craft store and buy his name off a rack. ?

I sure hope you don't accidentally put an 'h' or an 'e'.

@PolyWolf

Hilarious!

You're the classic "mom".
I salute you.

It looks great. Be happy with your work. Your daughter and son-in-law are going to be touched that you took such care. 😉

@Mindfulness

Thank you. I'm too hard on myself. Think I'll sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Fresh eyes the next day.

If he truly loves your daughter he won't let one missing T stand between himself and his Mother-in-Law.It's not like you left out a vowel or something really important.

@Sgt_Spanky

I will finish it.

Attagirl! You have almost three weeks to finish it! Plenty of time....! I know you can get that last letter stitched, and I hope Matt knows how lucky he is to have such a caring Mother in law!

@Marionville

Thank you. Here are photos from Claire and Matt's wedding at Lake Chelan in Sept. 2018.

@LiterateHiker I love them...especially the last one! ?

@Marionville

Cocoa is Claire's goofy, lovable half Golden Retriever/Husky. I made Cocoa's satin bow tie extra large to look cartoonish, like his goofy personality.

Churchill quote is on order here....... "Never never NEVER give up" ?

I am infamous for making things that work but look crappy. You're doing great by my standards.

Looks good to me

I have about 3 sets of mittens knitted with the second one not having the thumb or isn't otherwise finished because it's not quite like the first one. Never did figure out how to do it quite right. It's been a few years so mabey I'll try again sometime..

MsAl Level 8 Dec 6, 2018

After ten years, i finally have a pretty good glove. I can't get a match though. ? it wouldn't be so bad, but my daughter asked when i would have a pair completed. Who wants a scarf???

@Lillyfield41 lol the kid I started making stuff for would usually be to big before it was finished.. Oh well

Looks good, just power through...

I think it looks fantastic!

@Lillyfield41

Thank you! I've been comparing it to Georgia font that I have been trying to duplicate with embroidery. Aauugh!

"Artistic license," I can say airily.

I appreciate your encouragement and kind words.

You could always bag stockings entirely.........

I think you strive for perfection in an imperfect world. It is the subtle imperfections that make things like what you are doing special... And mean the most to people. The LAST thing you want from this is to look machine made in China!

Keep going!

@RiverRick

Excellent point. Thank you for that. Hugs, Kathleen

Got it done!

To make the curve of beads, I strung the beads and hung it from the top corners of the stocking. Learned this trick from Terry, my ex-husband who is an artist.

After finishing the last "t," I went back to the "a" and softened awkward transitions from thick to thin with embroidery thread.

"Artist do that with paint," Terry said.

I run through the job in my mind before starting, making sure I solve the problem bits beforehand. Makes no difference, I often fail but in my head it’s already done. Probably doesn’t help!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238403
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.