Agnostic.com

48 8

What do you turn to in times of sadness?

So many people I know who suffer from sadness turn to religion. I guess it is the defacto thing people suggest when life gets hard. What do Atheists and agnostics turn to? What do you turn to when life gets you down?

Holodeck30 4 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our family has turned to each other and this has worked very well for our family knowing that we can all pull together in a crisis.

Poetry. The inspirational words of people who came before us and also suffered loss...without mentioning Jesus or praying, thank you very much. I have an anthology of poems I'd like to recommend to you: "She Walks in Beauty". If you haven't heard of it, it contains poems selected by Caroline Kennedy. Another great collection is selected by Garrison Keillor and is called "Good Poems for Hard Times". (Regardless of your opinion of Keillor, he does have good taste in poetry and understanding about the human condition.)

Discipline, planning, changing, objective changes.
Friends, learning a new things, and even letting myself to slow down some projects and have more time to take more care of myself, more music, games, relaxing, or simply going out to hike in nature with some podcasts/ audiobooks/ music.

I do doodly drawings and sort of get sucked into them in a way that feels good; like I am smoothing down all my rough edges to getting to a calmer place I draw and smooth and rub and get caught up in them so it seems healthy to me.

I will hike down by the river or across my property. Or... Sing Karaoke as loud as I can! (Hard to be sad while singing!) If that doesn't work... I sit and eat a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese and watch an old movie from the 40's or 50's.

Shit... Now my secret is out!

Alcohol, music and stand up comedy.

I like to dance. It's almost impossible to be down while dancing.

Love to dance.. brain and body working together. Ballroom/smooth/rhythm is my choice. Your not dancing solo, but you are. You feel the lead of your partner, but the technical aspect make it your own.

Music: playing or listening to, weight room, walking, designing and building things (stained glass windows etc.) rarely - watch a happy 3d movie like Frozen in my theater.

Hope you find happiness.

I’m running in parks/forests/mountains = nature, listen to music, or watch playing kids in the park. Or watching Spaceballs, Monty Pythons The holy grail, Police Academy, Penguins of Madagascar, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Terence Hill & Bud Spencer Movie.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 16, 2018

Religion is a stepping stone. IMHO The folks that turn to it never really thought very deeply about life until life slaps them in the face . . . And even then . . . There are easy buttons readily available of just about every flavor.

Jogging. It clears the head.

Trod Level 5 Dec 15, 2018

I turn to music and a walk. Or music and a book to take mind off things. Escapism is my favorite hobby

Well here's one....

I turn on to the blues and rock 'n' roll.

I usually watch movies from the 1940s and let my subconscious deal with it.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

I self-reflect, I spend hours thinking about what I did, where I need to be. If it gets really bad, I wonder if I should continue or just end it. Ive never made the decision thst I should end it, because there always seems to be a way forward.

Talk to friends and watch a beloved Star Trek movie??

The world. If you immerse yourself in experience then you can find good reasons to be happy and move forward.

l read. l run. The best remedy for emotional baggage is physically stimulation and catharsis.
Not sure how it is for other people but I've never managed to get out of slump by just thinking happy thoughts.

Music, crank it uuuuuuuuuuuup !!!!!!!! ..... try it sometime, pick an energetic tune that works for you, let the decibels express themselves and enjoy the adrenaline before your neighbor call the police 🙂

Medication! I have been persecuted by major depression my entire life. Saddness is brain chemistry. I'm not talking about everyday run of the mill feeling sad. I'm talking about every day feeling nothing but numb hopelessness.

alcohol

Mostly to family,and I vent to strangers in sites like this. However,the passage of time is what helps the most?.

Biking and reading.

I try to use music, listening to it and going to sing at karaoke shows once or twice a week. One of the shows has a couple karaoke friends I can hang with. Singing helps me release emotions in a healthy way and gives me enjoyment. Excercise is also good. Spending time with friends is always good. I have one friend that likes to see movies about once a week. Went to hear free live music last night on my birthday. Was a great way to celebrate it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238589
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.