Agnostic.com

48 8

What do you turn to in times of sadness?

So many people I know who suffer from sadness turn to religion. I guess it is the defacto thing people suggest when life gets hard. What do Atheists and agnostics turn to? What do you turn to when life gets you down?

Holodeck30 4 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments (26 - 48)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have found my self being rather frustrated the last several months. Can't say I am sad just my logic is stressed. What I have found drowns the thought is very loud music so I get in the car and blast the radio for a while.

Weed if I could.... tranquilizer or food...

Weed and my dog. I used to have a human being too but she left.

Our family has turned to each other and this has worked very well for our family knowing that we can all pull together in a crisis.

Poetry. The inspirational words of people who came before us and also suffered loss...without mentioning Jesus or praying, thank you very much. I have an anthology of poems I'd like to recommend to you: "She Walks in Beauty". If you haven't heard of it, it contains poems selected by Caroline Kennedy. Another great collection is selected by Garrison Keillor and is called "Good Poems for Hard Times". (Regardless of your opinion of Keillor, he does have good taste in poetry and understanding about the human condition.)

Discipline, planning, changing, objective changes.
Friends, learning a new things, and even letting myself to slow down some projects and have more time to take more care of myself, more music, games, relaxing, or simply going out to hike in nature with some podcasts/ audiobooks/ music.

I do doodly drawings and sort of get sucked into them in a way that feels good; like I am smoothing down all my rough edges to getting to a calmer place I draw and smooth and rub and get caught up in them so it seems healthy to me.

I will hike down by the river or across my property. Or... Sing Karaoke as loud as I can! (Hard to be sad while singing!) If that doesn't work... I sit and eat a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese and watch an old movie from the 40's or 50's.

Shit... Now my secret is out!

Alcohol, music and stand up comedy.

Music: playing or listening to, weight room, walking, designing and building things (stained glass windows etc.) rarely - watch a happy 3d movie like Frozen in my theater.

Hope you find happiness.

I’m running in parks/forests/mountains = nature, listen to music, or watch playing kids in the park. Or watching Spaceballs, Monty Pythons The holy grail, Police Academy, Penguins of Madagascar, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Terence Hill & Bud Spencer Movie.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 16, 2018

Religion is a stepping stone. IMHO The folks that turn to it never really thought very deeply about life until life slaps them in the face . . . And even then . . . There are easy buttons readily available of just about every flavor.

I turn to music and a walk. Or music and a book to take mind off things. Escapism is my favorite hobby

I turn on to the blues and rock 'n' roll.

I usually watch movies from the 1940s and let my subconscious deal with it.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

I self-reflect, I spend hours thinking about what I did, where I need to be. If it gets really bad, I wonder if I should continue or just end it. Ive never made the decision thst I should end it, because there always seems to be a way forward.

Talk to friends and watch a beloved Star Trek movie??

The world. If you immerse yourself in experience then you can find good reasons to be happy and move forward.

Mostly to family,and I vent to strangers in sites like this. However,the passage of time is what helps the most?.

It was religion on occasion. I came to realize that my fixation with religion was in fact, a by product of emotional difficulty and nothing more. Thankfully, I have dropped religion as a means of comfort. I have also dropped alcohol as a pain masker. One particular online forum has become important to me due to my specific life circumstances. It is called, 'Out of the Storm' and it is a place of advice and support for those experiencing symptoms of Cptsd or struggling with the legacy left behind by traumatic life experiences. Youtube videos on self compassion are useful. Fly fishing is useful. Sometimes I simply have to retreat from life for a few days or a few weeks until I turn a corner. During this time I watch documentaries on youtube, often of gritty material like serial killers and drug abuse. Somehow that gets me through. Definitely explore self compassion on youtube, it will lead you to very supportive thinking styles!!!!!!!!

Whiskey, and our German Shepherd,
Did I mention whiskey?

Typically I turn to anything that distracts me, usually it involves friends and drinking ? also video games

Lots and lots of positive strokes. You are here, you made it it. You are a success. Judge your life only on the good you do in the world, never against other human beings. Be kind to you. Really really kind. Eat well, exercise if you can, listen to things that make you giggle. Music and dance help. You are perfect just exactly as you are right now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238589
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.