Agnostic.com

78 6

Cremation or burial for your funeral?

I found this interesting link about the confessions of a funeral director and a pastor’s disagreement about the cremation of the body. I found it to be quite hypocritical, considering the history of all the victims being burned by the church in history.

[calebwilde.com]

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I want mine donated to science.

That is also a good option.

Clerics of all religions are far too swept up in their mythologies to consider practicalities - such as acres and acres and MILES of land leeching embalming fluid into the groundwater from bodies not decaying fast enough to benefit the soil. This land could be used for far better purposes than awaiting a paleolithic fairy tale. Funeral costs are obscene; an industry taking advantage of people at their most vulnerable. Both burial and cremation have negative environmental impacts but green options are not yet widely available. When my husband died I had him cremated with no funeral service. I have the ashes of his bones in a lovely chest in my living room - thus he's always with me. I find it gross and macabre to imagine him rotting (very slowly) in a box in the ground someplace else where I have to travel to stare at the ground and imagine his grotesquerie beneath my feet. Ugh.

Cremation -- no funeral or service.

It's been over 30 years since I first read this poetic sentiment on the wall of a bathroom I was visiting, but I offer it here for your consideration:

When I die, bury me deep.
With a big bag of cannabis at my feet.
Put papers and matches into my hand,
And I'll find my own way to the Promised Land.

can I put this prayer into a song, or is it already copywritten?

@heathen77 I have no idea. Like I say, I saw it on a bathroom wall, author unknown. But it does sound like it would make a dandy tune.

I don't care. I'm an organ donor, what happens after that is up to my BFF, my executor, and my girlfriend / wife if I have one at the time.

When I die, I've let everyone in my family know my plans, in the hopes of cutting off people surviving me who think they know better than I what I really want (trust me, it happens). I carry a card in my wallet from a nearby medical school that states upon my demise my body is to go to their school for a period of one year. After that time, I'll be cremated and the ashes returned to my wife, should she still be living. It's the least expensive option for my survivors, and I like the thought that I'll be helping medical students gain valuable hands-on experience.

My mother wanted this for herself, but when the time came I was out-voted by other family members who were dismayed by her choice. "Do you realize what they do with those bodies?" they asked. Actually, I do. Among other things they cut out pieces of you and pass them around the room for show and tell. A few, to relieve their nervousness, probably make crude remarks. And they all see you in all you're dead, naked glory. It wouldn't have bothered her, and it won't bother me. Nevertheless, the rest of the family voted to have her cremated immediately, which may have settled their queasiness, but did nothing to respect the wishes that she had made clear for years.

So the answer is -- eventually -- cremation.

Cremation for me. I wish to be buried at sea and that is a requirement of the process. I am also an organ donor, so the box will be a little lighter.

I'd like to be stuffed and mounted in a hunting lodge with a sign that says "the hunter does not always win!"

I'm an organ donor. Then cremation. Considering one of those Bio Urn things. Anyone have any experience with them (obviously not personal! LOL)?

waste of money, have your family put your ashes in the spot where they want to plant a tree, ashes in the hole, plant the tree (or seeds, whatever they pick) and Done.. A cemetery controls what trees and plant go in their property, so it has to be on your own property.

I donated my body to science. I hope they launch me in a cannon in an attempt to reach the moon! I think I've posted this before...

I want to be buried right into the ground- no casket, no preserving my body. I want every bit of my body to go back to the earth.

Cremation.Take a small bit and roll me up to smoke and the rest give to the ocean that I've consumed so much from. LOL!!!

Tibetan Sky Funeral.

Interesting

Personally I won’t care. I’d prefer to be buried. But it won’t really matter when I’m dead. Technically speaking, cremation is more ‘Green’ for the environment. But I suppose it’s a personal choice.

Leo716 Level 6 July 12, 2018

Part me out. Harvest my eyes, my liver, whatever organs are still usable, and let them benefit others who are still alive.

Whatever's left over, I'm not going to care -- don't cause my survivors any more expense than is necessary to comply with sanitation laws, and let them do what they need to do to grieve.

The idea of cremation used to freak me out, although I was really behind the idea of being ground up for dog food. However, I think that cremation is the choice for me.

I would like to feed worms under a tree

Gonna burn - interestingly I live in the Northern Ireland countryside and a new crem has just opened quite close to me- When I was at Art College for my final piece I bought a cardboard coffin and covered it in symbols of all kinds - nice dress rehearsall but I think I may thing this way but let my family do the arwork my small family have been talking for years about our funeral lists so I'm mhoping at least it won't be a tame affair.

Science.

Cremation for me, so my daughters can spread them on their travels around the world

Burial. But because of scientific belief.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on why he'd be buried: "...Put me in the ground. Let the worms, microbes come in and out of my body. And the energy content of my body that I had assembled over my lifetime consuming the flora and fauna of this earth. My body then returns to them. Thus is the cycle of life. .."

Here's Neil deGrasse Tyson with Larry King talking about death and the non-afterlife.

Do with my body as you wish, I'll be dead and will not care because I won't be able to

Cremation for me. I'm an organ donor though.

Water cremation. Much more environmentally friendly.

[en.wikipedia.org]

That's cool! Mushroom burial is interesting too.

Yes--I just don't like allocating land to body burials.

Who cares? I won't be there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.