Agnostic.com

78 6

Cremation or burial for your funeral?

I found this interesting link about the confessions of a funeral director and a pastor’s disagreement about the cremation of the body. I found it to be quite hypocritical, considering the history of all the victims being burned by the church in history.

[calebwilde.com]

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

78 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cremation, no funeral.

Cremation.......its too damn expensive for my family to put me in a hole.

Cremation.

Ashes to ashes as they say. And I already have my biodegradable tree growing urn! Ashes in the urn, seed in the top and plant it, water it, and a maple tree shall grow. I told my son when all those little propeller seeds come down, and the leaves in the fall, they will be cursing me out for decades! ??

Cremation after organ donation, ashes to go into the firebox of a working steam locomotive and up the stack! It happens more than you realize I found out from a friend recently.

A Green/Natural burial is an option in at least two states I've lived in.

Source:

I’m going Breakung Bad style, dip me in some hydofluoric acid and melt me down. Less polluting than cremation and I’m guessing is less expensive. Just remember to use a plastic tub as a receptacle.

I'm an organ donor. What they do with the spare parts is their problem. They could slice me up into lunchmeat after that and I couldn't care less

Cremation

Cremation, burial is such a waste of land, water, pollution, money.

I'll burn here first...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with cremation. But the idea of being buried under a tree to provide nutrients is a really cool idea too.

Cremation. l want to become a tree, and you can do that using your ashes

Too much of you will literally go up in smoke.
[goodreads.com]

Always thought I wanted to be cremated but the closer my approach to death I'm beginning to see the appeal of a burial site for someone to reminisce. Funerals and the ceremonies and rituals surrounding them are for the living after all. One way to get around the waste of land would be to plant a tree that could feed off my remains. Good post.

I feel like I've taken up enough space on my time on earth alive, no reason to keep a spot occupied by me for eternity.

My family came from the south. They were all emphatic about having a designated place where people could pay their respects...but when I think of the loved ones I have lost, I don't think of their gravestone or them being in a cemetery or mausoleum, I think of memories. I don't need a specific place or day to remember them.

I told my family to give everything away that they can, cremate the rest of me and then it's all up to them.

I have always wanted to be cremated. I told people who will hopefully outlive me that I don't care if they hold a funeral for me in a cardboard box. I'll be dead. It matters not to me. Funerals are for the living. Save your money on a metal or wooden box and a burial that's not worth thousands of dollars. Use the money to live. I've always thought Viking funerals were pretty majestic.

There's a theory about cremation. Being cremated enables the "soul" to be free and not have evil spirits attach itself to the soul that's trapped in the body, or something like that. Nice thought. Doubt that's real either lol

Cremation seems like the most practical choice. You don't waste space and it's cheaper. You are taking your memories of me with you, not my body. Get rid of the fucker!

I'm not crazy about all the embedded traditions and the hard and fast rules that govern them, but there are a couple of elements of Jewish burials that I find quite appealing, beginning with the plain, unadorned coffin. I've never sat through a pitch for a coffin that didn't include a guarantee from the seller that the coffin wouldn't leak for a number of years into the future. Of what possible concern is that to the deceased? They're dead. What do they care if they leak or not? The second aspect of Jewish burials that really appeals to me is the lack of embalming fluid. Together with the plain coffin, these two aspects ensure a quick return to the elements.

If I wasn't pre-committed to the body donation/embalming route, it's something I'd consider.

Cremation

Thou art Dust, and unto Dust Thou Shall Return. So you kick it up a few notches. I do not want to be buried but cremated and spread all over the world so I can keep travelling.

My plan is to be cremated so my son can build a shrine in the most used room in his home.

He tells me that's not gonna happen.

No funeral for me whatever and cremation as that's the only real option I can choose. you don't have to have any service.

I'll be dead so I really don't care what happens to my body. I'm leaving that up to whoever wants to deal with it. If it were up to me, I'd have it flown to a remote place in the mountains and thrown out of the plane to feed all the little creatures.

Why to worry about something you won't witness?

Cremation. Then scatter me as fertilizer in my gardens. Use me to keep growing food. Don't waste any more space on cemeteries. All that does is cater to the insecurities of the living.

Launch my casket off a catapult...like when they did it in "Northern Exposure".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.