Agnostic.com

12 9

I've been an atheist for about a year now, it was a lonely transition but now it feels comfortable and I've come to terms with it. Although believing in God through the years I was bullied and having support at the spiritual church I was a part of really saved my life, I still believe some things, like ghosts and reincarnation... But I'm glad that I've taken control of my life.

SerenityDarling 4 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why believe in ghosts or reincarnation when evidence for them is on par with that of deities?

Personal experience is not valid. I’d love to see this evidence you claim. @SerenityDarling

Hey there! No reason to feel lonely! Come on over to Lancaster on the first Sunday every month to meet the Antelope Valley Freethinkers! About an hour and a half drive for you from Bakersfield. We meet at the Greenhouse Cafe on 1169 Commerce Center Dr., Lancaster CA 93534, at 11:30 to 1:30, and there's tons of great people, all nonbelievers. On March 4 we're going to have a visit from a scientist who's running for Congress and have a discussion about how to allay the fears and prejudices of religious people when they find out that their loved ones are atheists. Hope to see you there!

We're on Meetup (https://www.meetup.com/av-freethinkers/) and we'd love to have you join in the discussion. As I wrote above, the next general meeting is March 4 at 11:30, at 1169 Commerce Center Dr., Lancaster CA 93534. Sorry if Lancaster isn't quite as beautiful as Ventura but we have some really, really great people!

Welcome!

Welcome.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

Congratulations on taking control of your life and welcome to our little place. Just be yourself.

Welcome to the beginning of freedom! I hope you keep challenging yourself intellectually. If can can quote school house rocks "It's great to learn! Knowledge is power!"

Welcome, a whole year later. Glad you found us here. Most of us are nice.

Good you're here.

Welcome here.

Please know this, if you know anything ... you are not alone. Also know that it is possible, if not common, to believe in things, such as ghosts and reincarnation, without the necessity of believing in a deity. The implication here, of course, is that such things are a natural, not 'supernatural' phenomenon.

That said, if ghosts and reincarnation were natural, they would be subject to the laws of nature, correct? So one might ask, what guiding principles of physics and the natural world are at play to allow for the existence of ghosts and reincarnation? Mechanisms and processes must be identified if we are to believe in the existence of any phenomena, right?

Welcome! It sounds like you're a newbie so please remember that this non-belief is also a journey. I know it is easy to not listen or to argue fairly online but I would recommend you take the time to think about and explore all the really challenging and insightful comments and posts here on this site. I have learned a lot and I hope you will too.

Welcome to reason...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23941
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.