Agnostic.com

40 3

What is the purpose of life?

As a non believer I often wonder about this.

• 17 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 14 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 19 votes
Akfishlady 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It helps to increase entropy.

Whatever I decide it is, on any given day.

Today I decided my purpose was eating hot wings.

@EricTrommater Mine was making penne with asparagus in lemon-garlic sauce.

Purpose is subjective, like the flavor of chocolate. No objective purpose, like no correct answer to is chocolate good. But if you don't like chocolate you're a commy and we don't like your kind -_- .

From an Evolutionary standpoint to survive and reproduce. From any other it is has no purpose other than what you want to make of it.

The two things should not be in conflict to each other at least if we dare calling ourselves brainy beings.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Source:

Life has no inherent purpose. We propagate by exchange of DNA or some other form of reproduction. That doesn't ascribe meaning.

None inherent, only made.

I chose "life has no purpose" although only because it comes CLOSEST to my thinking, which is that life has no INHERENT purpose or meaning. There's plenty of purpose and meaning for individuals to find for themselves, but it's not externally bestowed or universally defined.

What he said.

to experience

marga Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

@Akfishlady Everything includes purpose .

I guess I fall under the life has no purpose vote. Never understood nor cared what the purpose of life is. Life happens because it can.

Purpose only makes sense in life. Outside of human life it’s without meaning.

Not outside the societies of other animals. @Akfishlady
Purpose is an end goal. If I’m casting a line with a hook, I’m trying to catch a fish. The purpose of my actions is directed towards an end goal. Comets, planets, wind, molecules, atoms have no end goal. They just are. As a species, we just are. Unless you want to posit an ultimate intelligence that’s using us as some sort of instrument. I find that notion farcical. However, I have intelligence and I can use that intelligence to use instruments towards an end goal; a purpose. I can use a fishing pole to fish. However, assuming life has purpose is anthropomorphic. We’re thinking about the natural world in human terms. That’s mistaken.

I don't think there is any grand purpose. We can assign purpose, but those are individual missions people take on, not the purpose itself lending opportunity.

Life is. Rocks are. Do they have a purpose? Granted, they can be useful but to suggest that the very act of being imposes a purpose is strained. If you wish to give your life a specific purpose that is wonderful (assuming it is a benevolent purpose, of course) but it was pretty much chance that got us here. Our duration is finite. Even that rock is gonna bite it in the end.

No, it was the exact opposite of a mere chance. We are not at all the product of chance but the state of the art product of evolution by natural selection.

Life is it's own purpose.

To find out what the purpose of life is.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

So what about if someone finds what he think to be the purpose of life but he's wrong?

What are we going to do tonight? "Same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world without supernaturalism!" The Brain, 'Pinky and the Brain'

jeffy Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

I think we can all choose our own purpose. For me, it's increasing awareness of women's sport, and helping make sure it gets the same funding and media attention as men's sport.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

The purpose of life is to give life purpose.

And how do you do that?

@Algernon really?

@SonderOpia, really.

@Algernon 42

@SonderOpia, 42?

@Algernon yes, 42

@SonderOpia, is that a random number? Does it have a purpose?

Taking the question literally, it has to be the passing on of DNA, otherwise life will cease.
I think some people are answering a somewhat different question, like 'What is the meaning of life' Very different!

@Akfishlady lol, I've always wondered why the religious types, who promote procreation as the purpose of sex, don't stop having sex when they no longer procreate.

@Akfishlady, of course no! Reproduction it's a multi stage process.

@Akfishlady, @marga, haha, maybe they hope in God's intervention and get a child in old age, haha.

Hopefully, it is whatever you want it to be! Make money? Save the rainforest? Become infamous? Enjoy!

Maybe the idea of life having a purpose is a byproduct of having evolved advanced consciousness and the prefrontal cortex. Animals don't seem to worry about such things. For them it's pretty much survival. Pets are a little different since their survival is taken care of, so they can live without worrying about those things.

To make another living organism's day a little better than it would have been without your existence.

Incomplete.

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

Lol

I have always liked to use the saying of learning, laughing and exploring.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.