Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didn't. And they don't.

MsAl Level 8 July 16, 2019

I didn't have children. If I had children I would have steered them away from religion.

Never...I would instill in them the sense of decency and perhaps the golden rule...I think it is more important to teach them how to think critically so they can explore their own options when they get older to support how they were raised...fitting in is a horrible reason for anything...would you have them dress alike to fit in? Eat crappy food to fit in?

school uniforms - school meals - school curriculum - is all about teaching them to fit in. So please do teach your children to use critical independent thought.
and what is the golden rule?

@ShadowAmicus Golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you...treat others like you want to be treated...our schools do not require uniforms and kids bring or buy their own lunches...after the fundamentals, they choose courses they would like to take...critical thought is of course, the best way to teach them to make wise and decent decisions...

@thinktwice over here every school has their own uniform and most kids eat the meal provided by the school for lunch - very similar to the army training to knock out unwanted traces of individualism

@ShadowAmicus there is something to be said about being homogenous...the connection to country and ideals is stronger...look at countries like Japan...being part of society means you agree to certain aspects that might mean losing some individualism...

@thinktwice Sheep may safely graze

@thinktwice It is always an individual free thinker that brings about change - may be good or bad, but change prevents stagnation, which is always bad

@ShadowAmicus which explains why so many good progressive and good ideas came from Japan and China... 😉...

I have never tried to "fit" in.... I have struggled all my life to live "my" life... I don't really care who likes it or not... and I certainly wouldn't educate my children to live a life that wasn't their choice...

blzjz Level 7 May 7, 2019

If I was in an area that was so religious that I felt I needed to raise my children incorrectly (in my view) just for them to fit in with their peers I would just have to move. How could you attempt to shape your child’s entire worldview on something you yourself view as a lie. It’s a crazy question to me.

Yes I have moved to protect my family from tampon terrorists and criminal theocrat perpetrators

Would I inject them with heroin just to be friends with local addicts ?....faith is child abuse and failing to teach Atheism CRITICAL THINKING = neglect

If you lived in a theocracy you may not have a choice so religion must be kept in it's place. Away from politics.

Maybe in Iran or Saudi Arabia

zesty Level 7 Feb 27, 2019

None of my children were baptized nor have ever participated in a church service. Maybe a funeral or a wedding, come to think of it. As far as i know, none of my garndchildren have been baptized either. Whatever religious beliefs they have, they cobbled together from their peer group or divine intervention. We are all fine.

Hell, no! Nobody was baptized, nobody went to Sunday School. But they always had the choice.

Never! This is not a benevolent thing we are discussing. A child should learn about the world as it is, without delusional roadblocks to understanding, let alone destructive and viscious ideas like “hell” and eternal damnation.

Absolutely out of the question.
Not only because I consider religious teaching before adulthood brainwashing. Because it would show them that the truth doesn't matter; that what they do, say or who they love, etc. is not for them to choose. It's for the tribal fanatics around them to decide.

If they want to they can choose to join a cult when they are legally old enough to drink and other self-destructive behavior.
But only after they have learned to think for themselves.

No, I raised them to be critical thinking individuals who never succumb to peer pressure of any type.

BTW - Why am I just seeing this? I've been following you since last year!

Ha ha. NO fucking way

No, in the same way I wouldn't raise them on alcohol or drugs, just to fit in.

Fit in with rapists murderers thieves polluters war criminals ALL FORGIVEN to fit in the alleged heaven. ....never teach religion to kids

My daughter is Very Religious, but that was Her choice and I Approve

My children are 49 an 50 now - they are quite exceptional and have lived all over england and been to many schools and lived in communes when they were younger they have had lots of experiences adn are thoroughly nice decent human beings - My daughter is the elder by 15 months and always found a way to fit in and her younger brother managed well enough and they were both capable of making their own life decisions at a pretty early age. religion was never any part of their life .

I don't do ANYTHING to fit in, least of all abuse chldren.

g

Teaching a child the NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP prEyer IF I SHOULD DIE B4 I WAKE lies is equal to 72 virgin promises to suicide bombers. ....terrorist faiths in action

Never.

Nope

No. I have two pre-teen boys, raised atheist and free-thinking. We talk about religion and what some people believe, but as academic study.

If either you or your children are being religious just to "fit in" then you are not religious. You are hypocrites. Is "fitting in" worth a hypocritical inauthentic life?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.