Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I gave my kids the choice. They fit in just fine with the neutral views I tried to teach them. As adults, they make friends and enjoy a pretty healthy balance in life.

I allowed my mother to take my daughter to Church because my daughter wanted to go. I never hid what I am or what I believe from her. She currently believes in God, but knows what atheism is as well. She is eight, when she is old enough we will start having those discussions and she can decide for herself.

lol

I have never been one to fit in. If their lives were genuinely at risk I might, but even then I think I would rather flee to the safety of someplace else.

d_day Level 7 Nov 24, 2017

No, because this would be disingenuous, given my worldview and agnosticism. I would discuss this topic fully with any potential mate, because it's a deal-breaker.

No, never I would let them grow up and believe in what ever they want too. They are there own Person

No , but I would teach them about the various world religions AND make sure they understand that they are not defined by their religion or lack there of. Their worth is greater than that.

Liberals are a good example. They care about everyone, and everything, not just a select few. I was sent to church weekly, not taken. I was forced to go, and as a child, it didn't hurt me, " I loved Bible school, in the summer". but I would not ram religion down my children's throats I want them to be their own person.

No, absolutely no. If we live in a world where this becomes a popular consideration, we as a society have failed.

No, I would just let them make their own decisions tbh.

I know some people do, and they're fine with their kids believing even though they themselves don't. That's a weird mindset to me, though I do understand that some think the structure and community serve a purpose or satisfy a need. I would never impose religion on a child, though. I think it undermines critical reasoning to teach faith, and I'd never want to cripple a child in such a way (or in any other way, but you get my point).

no

Hell no. I know people who don't believe in god, and still send their kids to church. I think that's disgusting.

My children are in their 30's, and even though my ex wife is a believer, and I am not, we didn't influence our children either way, though my family gave us hell for that. My youngest son is very religious, and goes to church every Sunday. My oldest son is a self described heathen. These were choices, not ours.

that's hypocritical! No. I let her make her own decisions in life. She had courses in comparative religions and I raised her to respect ppl even though they don't share the same views. On her way to obtaining her doctorate in psychology...I am SO very proud of her!!

ParkS Level 4 Nov 19, 2017

No and didnt. They're all grown now. Their choice to choose as they see fit.

No. I didn't raise either of my daughters in the church. When they were old enough to ask questions, approx 12, I explained the basics of protestant Christianity. They both looked at me like I was nuts. They couldn't believe that adults would believe in Bible stories. It really put into perspective how indoctrinating children at a young age is so important to religious causes. Young children accept many things without question.

NO,

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017

No.

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017

Jesus no.

Oh hell no. Once my fiance and I were at a rock concert and this drunk lady was talking to us. She found out we were engaged and asked about a wedding date (we haven't set one) and asked if we had kids. We don't have kids but would like to one day. She said we should raise our kids religious. My fiance said we're not religious so we wouldn't do that. Then she goes on abouy how they should have structure and religion is good for them. I was like WTF but she was drunk so there was no point in arguing. Luckily she moved on and we enjoyed the rest of the concert without anymore of that BS

No way, but sadly, that is not my choice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.