Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

MO! NEVER! My children were raised to be independent individuals not part of the herd.

I didn't. I let them make their own minds up. Why would i exchange one form of indoctrination for another? ?

No I wouldn't I've raised them to make their own decisions in regards to religion

My wife and I actually belonged to Jewish temple when our kids were growing up. My wife grew up Jewish but was not religious. I was never Jewish but not religious at all but was didn't care if she wanted to raise the kids Jewish. As the kids got older my thinking changed from not caring about religion to being full on Agnostic. My wife and our two kids seemed have had the same transition in thinking even though none of us encouraged others in the family one way or the other. The difficulty in raising kids Agnostic are the society influences that definitely still exist (even well out of the Bible Belt) that people are bad or immoral if they are not Christians. If they are other religions they will, of course, go to hell but they are a little less evil. It would seem necessary raising Agnostic kids to do a lot of reinforcing that it is necessary to be a good and moral person is as important for an Agnostic as it is for a Christian. And any assertions that Christians are any better people or more moral than non-Christians are flat out wrong.

OCJoe Level 6 Aug 23, 2018

No I feel that if i did that it would be lying to them. Put them in a position to believe in something or someone I myself does not.

Why would anyone want to fit in with the believers in the absurdly impossible??

No I would find other ways to provide social exposure.

No way! I was so proud when I recently heard him tell a friend he was atheist. & I didn't really "teach" him to be atheist, except by example & through conversation if the kids themselves brought it up. Their dad is a believer of some sort but not church going...

Carin Level 8 Aug 14, 2018

My ex took my children to a traditional church. I took my children to a Unitarian Universalist church. It was a good balance given the situation and time. Both children have chosen not to take their children to churches. Cool....

No ! fit into what ? England is a prettty irreligious place adn we don't tend ot talk aboout beliefs or non beliefs it isnt a big issue.

No

Well....

When my daughter was born, I was attempting to be religious myself, sincerely seeking to believe (or seeking something to believe in). By the time I realized I was an atheist, she was already going to Sunday school and enjoying it, making friends, appearing in plays, etc.

These days I just model atheism for her, providing logic and science and making sure she understands that religion can't be literally true. She's already there, realizing that evolution happened, the world is much older than the fundamentalist sect I used to belong to says, and so on. I just have to make sure she has the tools to make up her own mind.

No, my kids know my beliefs and they also know they can make up their own minds and have attended church in the past on their own or with others.

PDF Level 5 July 16, 2018

No, I am open about my atheism. They are free to choose their own path.

I didn't, as I have explained in the past ... Few times...

No. No. No. And hell to the no.

Never

I don’t do anything to fit in

Yes, if I was severely brain damaged.

Absolutely not. I raised by daughter by giving her a label, like her friends had. Only our label was Humanist and our credo was that we believe in the goodness of humanity and the celebration of people and their right to be unique.

It worked fine for her and for my two grandchildren, who are fine, loving, creative, productive -- and funny -- humans.

No, I wouldn't raise my children that way to fit in. They need to know the truth about the world, and not to believe in stupid fairy tales. I know I would have been happier if I was. Also, tell to be respectful of others beliefs, so that get along with more people.

Absolutely not. Just as much as they learn about what the local religions believe, I'm going to give them the rational counter-arguments and let them figure it out.

No I love my son but he’s intellectually a little like me but smarter. I’ve asked him to respect others beliefs it I told him he may chose any path. I’m a Jew and my wife is a Christian so I don’t discuss religion much but my wife I’m a religious illiterate and have no real beliefs other then the World Cup and I’ve asked her to allow our son to explore... she gives the demonically possessed but tells me the power of Christ compels me. No she is going to have to get use to her sons non beliefs

No and fuck no. Not wholly responsible, but it is that line of thinking that allows religion to linger on, IMO. I teach my children to be open and understanding of other beliefs and actually go into the mechanics of how they possibly ended up in that belief.

No, however I teach them to respect other people's choices and beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.