Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no way

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

Absolutely not! Why would it be any good to teach children to believe in something that doesn't exist!

pardon Mr.MartinKen, religion also happen to teach values and ethics, just take the good or what you believe to be good for the kids. But I don't agree in teaching them to be religious just "to fit in"

No. Children should not be subjected to religious brainwashing.

No I didn't and they turned out great!!

that's great!

Definitely no

If I was in an area that was so religious that I felt I needed to raise my children incorrectly (in my view) just for them to fit in with their peers I would just have to move. How could you attempt to shape your child’s entire worldview on something you yourself view as a lie. It’s a crazy question to me.

Yes I have moved to protect my family from tampon terrorists and criminal theocrat perpetrators

Maybe in Iran or Saudi Arabia

zesty Level 7 Feb 27, 2019

Never! This is not a benevolent thing we are discussing. A child should learn about the world as it is, without delusional roadblocks to understanding, let alone destructive and viscious ideas like “hell” and eternal damnation.

No, I raised them to be critical thinking individuals who never succumb to peer pressure of any type.

BTW - Why am I just seeing this? I've been following you since last year!

Fit in with rapists murderers thieves polluters war criminals ALL FORGIVEN to fit in the alleged heaven. ....never teach religion to kids

No. I have two pre-teen boys, raised atheist and free-thinking. We talk about religion and what some people believe, but as academic study.

If either you or your children are being religious just to "fit in" then you are not religious. You are hypocrites. Is "fitting in" worth a hypocritical inauthentic life?

I didn't. I let them make their own minds up. Why would i exchange one form of indoctrination for another? ?

No I would find other ways to provide social exposure.

No way! I was so proud when I recently heard him tell a friend he was atheist. & I didn't really "teach" him to be atheist, except by example & through conversation if the kids themselves brought it up. Their dad is a believer of some sort but not church going...

Carin Level 8 Aug 14, 2018

No, I wouldn't raise my children that way to fit in. They need to know the truth about the world, and not to believe in stupid fairy tales. I know I would have been happier if I was. Also, tell to be respectful of others beliefs, so that get along with more people.

Absolutely not. Just as much as they learn about what the local religions believe, I'm going to give them the rational counter-arguments and let them figure it out.

No, however I teach them to respect other people's choices and beliefs.

No, they can make up their own mind as adults!

My folks raised me Catholic not to fit in but because life was simple back in those days, that's what they knew ( I do not hold it against them ). Now, I know what that does so, no the answer is no. Both my daughters were brought up with no religion but being aware of their existance. Both freethinkers, doing well and fully understand why things were done that way. If they ever change then it will always be their choice.

Life wasn’t so simple but I was

oh, God, no

Oh, HELL NO!

I want to raise my kid with a sense of self-worth and personal dignity, not believing she's a bad, broken person who deserves punishment unless she accepts how terrible she is and pledges her love for some invisible, undetectable wife-beater.

If that means she stands out from some clique of frightened, prejudicial, slaughterhouse-bound livestock then I will help her find the confidence to accept it and challenge the world. But never would I put that poison in her just so she could fit in... She deserves better than that.

Crikey... That got me riled up. ? I'm off for a lay down.

I did not raise my son in religion. In his teens, he wanted to see what his friends were doing, so he went to some religious venues and events. He is now 29 and has decided that he is atheist. His mother is christian, but she never pushed him and I never pushed him. He came to his own conclusions while discussing it with his peers and others.
We discussed it when he came to me a couple of years ago with a few questions.

I think you did well not to push your son and to encourage him to independently arrive at his own conclusions.

Hell, no! I raised her as a Unitarian Universalist, giving her training and information to be able to make good choices for herself.

Hell, no! I raised her as a Unitarian Universalist, giving her training and information to be able to make good choices for herself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.