Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have children, so this would be an academic question for me. My sister isn't religious, but neither has she identified as atheist or agnostic. I think the whole subject just really isn't on her radar. She has two children. Her in-laws are Catholic. They really wanted the kids to attend Sunday school. My sister left it up to the kids and they chose to attend. I'm not sure how long they did this, but I know they don't do it still and have not become religious kids.

vita Level 7 May 3, 2018

We taught our kids about all the major and some minor religions and let then decide on their own. While they thought some interesting, it was more "how can they believe that" that hey I want to go there. Both are confirmed nontheists today!

No, both of my children are devout atheists and have not patience for religion. I realized at one point that I had to educate them on religious thought so that they could understand where so many people are coming from. On a side note, I was called from my oldest sons preschool teacher because the other childrens' parents were upset that my son was telling the truth about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny! I will not lie about religion or idols!

That would be like being an intellectual lemming. Only imbeciles conform to stupidity for the sake of conformity.

No way. When my daughter was small I explained that I didn't believe, but that was a decision she needed to make for herself. Whenever a friend wanted to include her in religious services or occasions, if she wanted to go, she did. Then when she got home we'd discuss the experience. By the time she was a teenager she was a nonbeliever.

I would never teach children to believe something that i thought was untrue. i think that is immoral. if they need to know about religion because you are in a religious community, then let them learn about it but at the same time give them the arguments against it and teach them to think logically and always look for evidence.

No way. Religion is tantamount to brainwashing as far as I'm concerned. I'm a recovering Catholic, and I still have irrational moments of guilt associated with nothing more than the brainwashing cult's idea of "sin." I would not EVER do that to my own children.

Never. My kids know I'll respect their decisions however, and if they get old enough and feel that "higher calling", then I'd happily take them to wherever, drop them off, and pick them back up afterwards. I'm not one of those parents who push my beliefs (or lack thereof) on my kids like my own parents did to me. They're free to believe whatever they want and people are free to accept them as they are, or kiss their asses. 🙂

I'd rather my children (I have one son, but let's not go there) choose for themselves whether they want to act like backwoods retards.

No, I love my kids way too much to bullshit them. They had their choice, as my wife was religious, and I wasn't, and we both expressed our beliefs.

They're all grown up and moved away now, the little heathens! ?

I allowed it to happen and fortunately for me it turned out well, Both my children are not religious as they were raised in the catholic haze. My ex stated the kids need something meaning that my views were nothing. Catholic school and uniforms , Today they do not attend church nor do they worship. Good job dad

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

Nope 3 out of 3 atheists...deep thinkers... One just graduating in Global politics, one starting in Sept doing a BA in phil and my girl runs a gastro pub/hotel! One very proud mummy

My children are 49 and 50 and neither they nor their partners nor their children have any religious leanings - But No in England they fit in just fine - Come over here, very godless place not many people likely to ask you .

I keep saying we are and always have been a heathen nation. They tried it on with the god stuff for few hundred years but it never really stuck! (Plus we shipped all the real loons overseas 😉 )

If the group doesn't fit me...why should I want to fin in the group?

I raised my children in the Unitarian Universalist Church so the were exposed to all the worlds religions in an open nonindoctrinal way.

Not a chance.

No. I did not . They are fine.

We raised our kids in the church but stopped attending. Our 2 youngest are learning disabled. When my husband and I stopped believing we never discussed it with the kids but realized they stopped talking about Jesus. So either Jesus gave up on them or he wasn't real and whatever "relationship" they had had been facilitated and maintained by us. That's when I really knew we had been scammed

Absolutely not! I'd try to instill in them critical thinking, and hopefully they'd make a decision that is right for them.

I raised my children to make their own choices, a right I never had.

No way.

I raised three kids without religion. They are far more comfortable talking about their lack of faith than I could ever afford to be. I must add that one of them decided to be Catholic. Ironically she was my wild child. As adults they have excellent morals and I'm very proud of how they treat people.

I am Jewish but never was raised religiously, more a feeling about who I was than about a god. As I grew I found it to be more about heritage. That's how I raised my son. Now 30 and married to a practicing Christian, I worry for my unborn grandchildren.

I would raise them to know how and why to fit in and its disadvantages.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.