Agnostic.com

406 21

Would you raise your children religious just to fit in?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

406 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely not! My child is his own person and he can make up his own mind. I will support him no matter what (unless he is a serial killer or sumpthin. Then I think I may have to speak up).

Absolutely not.

Cmy3 Level 2 Nov 3, 2017

No way. Religion, if at all meaningful, should not be steeped in hypocrisy, despite what some others do. I might consider pretending in public if death were the penalty for not.

Never, just to be conscientious of other faiths but to not allow themselves to be fooled by them.

NO. What an abdication of intelligent living that would be - as well as a complete denial of your being-who-you-are. Apart from being a terribly destructive role model for your children.

Pedro Level 3 Oct 28, 2017

I did raise my children religious just to fit in I hate to admit it now but I did my wife x wife for 20 years was and still is a Christian I was never a Christian but I sure tried hard to be one it would just be much easier life if I was haha but not going to happen fortunately my kids are not Christians today in their forties.

No, I would raise my kids to believe in whatever they want, if they choose not to believe in anything that is okay too.

Absolutely not!

LoriS Level 3 Oct 23, 2017

No, I raised mine with truth.

No. As a teacher I'm more concerned with raising independant thinkers than go-along-with-the-crowd robots.

I have taught them to be open-minded and to choose their own path, but to always make sure they make informed decisions. So far, they are non-religious.

I’m not a fan of fitting in. I raced my child to be open to everything. That resulted in him being a nontheist.

I didn't raise my children religious. I told them some people believe in various gods, but I don't, I tried to teach them critical thinking,but left it to them to decide for themselves.

No. I consider that abuse.

For an easily impressed young brain, being taught to believe what you are told to believe, as opposed to critical thinking, logic, science, philosophy, etc, should be considered mental and physical abuse. The thought patterns learned in school become hard-wired which can really block out any logical freethinking.

Clearly, the context is important. If you were to endanger yourself or your family by not conforming, then I know what I'd do. If I lived in a society that was more tolerant (and I do), then I would educate my children to think for themselves, and give them the tools to help them make their own minds up.

I would not have a problem with children learning religion but I would want the teachings to be balanced ie: I would teach them to think through what they were taught and to question why they should or should not believe

No. I did not. Religion was not pract5iced in my house. I gave my 2 daughters the choice of explorinf religion if they wanted to. Both are now college educated, successful mothers.

I would find that to be dishonest. I would explain to my children my belief system which is based upon facts and not myths and fiction. My children grew up without a church education and they have become outstanding ,honest and caring persons who give and share in their community,take part in local politics and practice their conscience instead of religious beliefs.

NO! I want them to be themselves and not feel like they have to be religious to "fit in".

I agree with you my mother did not make me religious just to fit in she left it up to me

Why would anyone lie to their children about a god? Truth is truth and facts are facts and neither can be found in religion. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to raising children.

No, I would raise them to think for themselves. TO have morals, respect those wiser than themselves, to be kind and caring and to respect everyone and their beliefs. As they get older and decide to become religious then I will support that decision but I will also make sure that they still respect others point of view

HELL FUCKING NO.

I'd sooner burn down the entire town than give into that nonsense.

Nope. I would pull a page from the missionary playbook though, and teach them to go door to door spreading the word of atheism. Dress them up in nice suits and dresses, and give little pamphlets and preachings of a godless world to poor schlubs who are irritated at being woken up at 6am.

Note: I hate kids. Big reason why I don't have any. ^_^

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.