Agnostic.com

58 18

How often do you self-censor? Is it hard to bite your tongue?

I'm the sort of person who has trouble not saying what they think. It just rolls right off my tongue. That's not always a good thing. Learning to nod and grin would often be in my benefit, but I find it difficult to do.

How about you?

silvereyes 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nowadays, I say whatever, don't really give a shit anymore.

I self-censor too much, actually. I've long felt that learning to nod and grin was the tactful way to be, but I know now that it disagreements can be expressed honestly, as long as it's done in a respectful and rational way.

No, but I am kind and considerate with my viewpoints.

Khmm Level 5 Feb 16, 2018

With adults, almost never, which regularly gets me into situations where people are "offended" because I just said what I think about e.g. Jesus or Mohammed or because I just said "fucking hell" or both.
Luckily I tend to live in places where currently one does not get arrested or flogged for that, but I would probably already have been killed if it was 200 years ago in the same place or even these days in Saudi Arabia.

I live in a religiously sensitive part of the world and sometimes I put my foot in my mouth without even knowing it so I just avoid this kind of conversation we have here - the weather in northern ireland goes down well`! Outlook changeable!

I'm told I'm very loud when I roll my eyes. 😀

Not often. If it crosses my mind, you're going to hear it. Fortunately, most people are dumb enough to think I'm joking.

JimG Level 8 Feb 14, 2018

All the time.

I'm not super profane but I cuss enough to offend the occasional prude. In a setting like this I keep it to a minimum. On other sites were I participate, cursing is much more common and accepted, but even there, I don't become egregious with it.

I'm pretty good at giving people the benefit of the doubt and being gentle with them but sometimes I am so weary of bad thinking and getting crankier as I age, and I let 'em have it. I don't often regret doing so. It usually takes quite a bit of Stoopid to set me off, even now.

Never. XD

If I sensor myself, than I am not being me

I those moments when I stop caring I do the same thing, I just speak and whatever comes out comes out. I then spend some time questioning why I said what I did, or sometimes it is just the way I have said something that comes across the wrong way, nothing I can do about it except try and learn from mistakes

Sá sem lifir án aga, deyr án heiðurs
That is the saying in Old Norse that I have tattooed across my back. It translates to:
He who lives without discipline, dies without honor. That is my motto. It keeps me from letting things go, including my rather sharp tongue, my appetite for cake and ice cream and my tendency for pain and suffering.

@silvereyes And the bitch is you cannot read it in the mirror. So I say it under my breath.

Sometimes I just blurt things out and wish I could take them back. It is hard to bite your tongue.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

I make it a point to not self-censor, unless I'm speaking with children.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

Self-censor or trying to say what's appropriate to the situation? If cussing someone out is what's called for then I do it. If gentleness is gonna work better with fewer 'f' bombs then I'll do that. I would say, unless you have Tourettes, that we always self-censor.

I have the opposite issue, ie. I've had a doctor say to me, "You're awfully quiet. Help me out."

I'm good at biting my tongue but my facial expressions often give away my feelings

I don't have a problem keeping my mouth shut when it's not worth the trouble.

This is an instance where women have a better chance of getting away with not biting her tongue.
A man has a chance of getting slugged in the mouth for blurting out something to the wrong guy. lol

I am convinced my mind to mouth connection has no filter

People are strong willed and will think and feel whatever they do regardless of what anyone else says. Generally I shake my head and walk away if it's too ridiculous. I don't like to fight and if people are already shooting off about some nonsense they are likely more excitable than I care to handle. I have no interest in stirring it up so no worries, no real problem keeping my mouth shut most of the time. It comes down to weighing just how much danger a person is in with what they say. Will someone die if I ignore it? Will they be injured? Will the topic at hand being challenged or left alone make any real difference? If no, then it isn't worth my time or effort to get into it. I reserve that for damage control alone.

AmyLF Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

I think faster then I write...lol, yeah right!...lol.... so I go back and read a post or comment and realize I've left out a word... I open it up and correct it..

No filter for the most part.

The only time I tend to do it is at work. I do not care what others think outside of my job and I act accordingly.

Me too. My mouth or keyboard starts blabbing before my mind is in gear.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

Some days are better then others. However I've stopped even trying to censor my self with flat earth believers. I've found it to be a good release. It's usually a string of course words like douche-pickle, twat-waffle, cock-nose, or dumb-ass-ball-chined-mother-fucker.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.