Agnostic.com

58 18

How often do you self-censor? Is it hard to bite your tongue?

I'm the sort of person who has trouble not saying what they think. It just rolls right off my tongue. That's not always a good thing. Learning to nod and grin would often be in my benefit, but I find it difficult to do.

How about you?

silvereyes 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (51 - 58)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is against my nature to censor me. So a Fucker here and Asshole there will happen here often.

I find it all the time. Especially when I am at work. I have to deal with public all day. I find my self stopping and think about what I am going to. If I would say what on my mind I would be fired with in fifteen minutes of starting a day..

A bit. I'm naturally very polite and deferential to begin with, so it's not difficult or unusual for me to think about what I say before I say it. I think my self-censorship is pretty well built-in. Sometimes I reword or omit something. Occasionally I think twice and decide not to speak at all. I'm cool with it. Nobody cares what I have to say anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Where I get into trouble is those areas in which, due to my strangely poor socialization in early life, I disagree with the herd about what constitutes a socially-acceptible thing to say. Like, I don't see anything wrong with telling someone, point blank, that I disagree with them--no matter who they are. Some folks think that's rude. Or being honest about your strengths. Many folks will consider that boasting. I make trouble for myself when I breach these idiotic imaginary lines that others abide by and refuse to feel abashed when they try to call me out on it. Uh, no--im not playing your dumb game that sucks. And I'm not going to feel bad about it, either.

Most of the time say what is on my mind, yet also I am careful and seek to do this in a way that is not offensive, not only for the sake of politeness, but also because the other side is much less likely to act in the direction I want if I manage to offend him/her.

Every minute of every day.

Never. Let the chips fall where they may.

When I was younger, never. Now I'm better at picking my spots. Maybe I have less energy and It makes things a little less stressful.

I am convinced my mind to mouth connection has no filter

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.