Agnostic.com

32 2

How did you come out to your family as atheist (or whatever you identify as)?

I have been considering for a while now how to work in the fact that I no longer subscribe to the beliefs of my family. They are devout, and I can't keep pretending that I still go to church. I know most people say not to make it a big deal, but this is going to be a big deal. Even a fraction of a detail that doesn't coincide with my dad's worldview is going rock the boat and maybe lead to a full interrogation. So how did you folks do it? Do they know the extent of what you believe? Sexuality coming out stories apply here, too!

EarthKate 5 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lol. Welcome to my world. I've been very secretive about my beliefs. My ex wife and my children 14 and 15 do not know. Yes this is wrong, I should be honest with my children and blood relatives. But I live I reality. Until my daughter, 14, turns 18yrs old I will continue the charade. The repercussions of coming out aren't worth it. I don't mind. Its not just about me After all.

I do the same but my immediate family knows I am atheist but choose not to acknowledge that . But don't you feel so suffocated and demoralised everytime you go through the charade . Please tell me more about how you cope with that

@lovin1987 yes. Suffocated is a good term. I wish to be "me" So strongly. Living a lie and being what seems to be everyone Else's idea of what I should be can be tough. But I also Havnt much of a problem lliving the lie. As long as others are happy. I've spent many years focusing on others happiness and well being that its kind of become part of me now. It kind of makes me happy. A conundrum of course. Lol. Hating the lies and loving the smiles of those that do not know.

@tyodaman It's so reassuring to know that there are other people who are dealing with the same issues I am facing.

I came out to my parents rather angrily in situations that probably couldn't and shouldn't be replicated, sorry. Bad example but they got over it and figured out if they want to be in my life they'd have to live with it or suffer my big mouth bringing up the ways religion failed all of us. I don't suffer any foolishness and at a certain point unless theyre in poor health and closer to death than not, Id advocate pulling the bandaid off and give em some space to get over it.

If you happen to have a tender relationship with your parents, want to preserve it as much as possible, don't do well in direct confrontation, and feel you express yourself better in print, Id start with a heartfelt message to my mother. Try to explain where your line is drawn, how you came to your conclusions, where your source of morality does come from so she's not too worried about your rudder. Assure her that you love her but youre not taking any guilt trip shit. kindly but firmly ask her to be your advocate when you decide to similarly break it to your dad if she wants them to stay in your life.

@EarthKate yeah thats a tough one Im sorry. Any siblings or aunts n uncles to practice comin out to first? Im sure itll be hard to have the convo with him but itll just get harder waiting til later to admit how long youve been lying for his sake. I hope hes the kinda fella that at least respects ya for tellin the truth n will hopefully get over it soon enough

How old are you?

@EarthKate Then stop lying and tell the truth. He may get angry but so what, you are an adult stand up for yourself. Stop being afraid that he will no longer love you, because if that is the case then his love is conditional.

Well, I gave my patents a double whammy. I came out as both gay and atheist at the same time. Strangely they were much mroe concerned about my being gay than my beign an atheist. That was my actual experience.

(Joking about this, but I started with the perfect set up, so here goes)

Yes, you say... but how can this work for me?

Well, tell your parents you are gay. Then you can tell them that you are nto really gay, but just atheist. It will be such a relief to them that it may not matter that much at all to them, s they will feel they just dodged a bullet.

If you are really gay too, this still wrokes, as they wotn' really be concerned aob ut yoru beign atheist so much as your being gay.

(OK, serious again now)

My plan was jus tto come out as gay, but I also wanted to avoid all the drama, so since i was atheist too, I decided if I also told them about tht too, they'd be disarmed from beign able to use all the religious ammunition they would otherwise try to guilt me with. To that extent it worked.

I was never close to my parents, and after coming out I knew I'd never be close to them. So, I felt I had nothing to lose, other than the potential to be close to them, which is something I never had, so I didn't think I'd miss it. And,m I didn't. On the brighter side, I was able to be myself around my family from that point forward, which ws much easier on me. I believe i gained more than I lost.

One added note. This was in the early 1980's, before email. I came out via a snail mail letter. i figure if I called them or told them in person some things may have been said (on both sides) which could not be taken back. If you come out, you do need to consider the methodology you use to relay the information. Only each person can assess which way of relatyign the information woudl create the least harm to the relationship.

@tartanathiest My family or origin was more a family were certain subjects were just not talked about. When I came out, I pretty much decided I was tired of "editing" what I said and did to please others and just wanted to be myself, be honest and let the chips fall wherever they may. If peopel could nto accept me for who I am (including family) then I really dont' need them to be a part of my life.

I did strtegize for the least long term damage inour relationship, but I was tired or not eing able to just be myself. I did hope tha tmy beign hones twould bring me closer to my family, but in the end it really didn't make much of a difference one way or the other. So, at least I am more honest abotu who I am, and I like who I am a lot more, even if my familial relatinships haven't really changed over the long run. I am happier.

I never came out to my family as I really don't see a need to. If they asked me, I would be honest with them. It just never came up. I am only close to my immediate family and I know they will accept me regardless.

I resigned from my position as a Sunday school teacher and renounced my baptism by requesting the pastor to destroy my baptismal documents.

I wanted to wait for the right time to tell my parents, but the pastor I confided in felt obligated to tell my parents for me.

Something profound and unexplainable happened to me that changed my views on religion and in particular, life. It happened for the best no matter how terrifying my experience was. There was a sense of peace throughout my fear.

I've since been removed from any inheritance, family gatherings, etc.

I made the right decision for me. I don't regret it.

I did not have much of a problem. Topic hardly came up, because my family were none too devout. You, on the other hand, have much more to beware. If your personal choices are that much of an issue, you are in for a tough time. Be careful; you might well need to communicate this long distance and stick your fingers in your ears.

My mom called me an atheist before I even realized I'd slid past agnostic. She wasn't very happy about it but I stopped caring about what she thought long before then.

I realized at 16 years old that all religions were fairly tales mean to control people and their lives. The misogyny and the concomitant absurdity was too much for me. I simply said I cannot believe in religions and that was that. They did not like it but so be it. I am an honest person and was not going to lie.

I just said "I don't believe that crap". They just shrugged and said "Okay". That's pretty much it.

Why are we always the ones defending our beliefs, when it is the rest of the world that believes fantasies that are based on zero evidence?

I've been an open skeptic since childhood in an otherwise religious family, so I had no coming out, but I did have a coming to a head. I dealt with the projected shame, guilt, and disappointment for years on my own, and I wish I'd have brought things to a head much sooner. When it became a potential threat to my children, I finally took the hard stand and gave them two options. 1. Respect my difference of beliefs without the constant underhanded challenges and have me and my children in their lives or 2. Watch us walk away and never look back. I was truly there. And it was oddly the one time the conversation didn't devolve into a fight. It was a slow process, but we've come a long way in our understanding. Family get togethers are enjoyable again, and devoid of the religious aspect while we all agree to simply focus on family. Love will trump hate. Hugs

My mom is extremely religious and it has def. caused riffs in our relationship. I remember I slowly stopped going to church during high school- much to her chagrin and she would guilt me into going. Soon I just went to Xmas mass bc tbh I like some of the music. For a long time, she was in denial about what I believed in until I flat out told her that I didn’t see any logical reason to believe in a God and even if God existed, I probably still wouldn’t worship Him. Eventually, after I negated all of her reasoning (most of them falling into the God of the gaps fallacy), I told her that she was free to believe in what ever she wanted but if she continued to berate and belittle me I would stop going home and cut off communication with her. She went about two weeks without speaking to me citing that she was “hurt”. But since then She has promised to stop bringing up the topic with me in order for us to have a relationship.

I walked into a conversation between my Christian mom and my sister who's a number of years older than me and a science teacher. My Mother just then asked my sister something to the affect or whether she was still a Christian and she said no, the question was then turned to me and I too said no in some fashion (not sure if I said I was an atheist or not outright). Our Mom was visibly displeased, due to how my parents work though nothing much came of it after that.

For me it was very easy as my father's side of the family are all agnostic. My mother was raised in a VERY strict Pentecostal household where she couldn't wear jeans or pants, no makeup, etc. It caused her to hate churches and religion, although she kept a personal belief in God. I was raised with no religion, and frankly no one in my family really gives a damn what the others do or don't believe. Just don't try to force your beliefs on anyone else and that's that.

I've always been a pain in the ass for questioning everything - judgments, beliefs, whatever I saw around me, pretty much. As a result, I didn't have the closer connection that my brother and sister have with our dad.
It sounds like your dad keeps asking because your deception continues to give him hope that you remain on what he believes is the right path. Next time he asks, come clean and be ready for his interrogation. You're no longer under his roof and your morality is not religion-driven. If he can't accept that, it may be an indication that his faith is more important than you. That happens sometimes. Hopefully, it won't happen to you. Let him know that you're taking ownership of your life and are living it responsibly.

Just did and they have to deal with it. It’s not easy for me.

I never had to. My mother was unhappy when I stopped going to church and stopped making donations to the church, but when she realized that I was donating to other worthy causes instead, she seemed happy enough. In letters she sometimes referred to me as her "infidel son". It didn't seem to bother my father one way or the other (I think he was a closet agnostic).

My family presently are not religious. I have never said anything anyways.

Aggy Level 4 Dec 13, 2018

My family is not close, and religion was not a factor for the most part. If I were in your place, talk it out with someone in your family that you trust to not blow up , then naturally tell them how you feel and why you feel that way. At all times keep your head up and don't let them bring you down. They will still love you at the end of the day. 🙂

That’s rough. Thankfully my folks were devout but it was not a huge deal for them. Maybe because I had older siblings that were became less religious before me and my grand parents were of a different religious persuasion - Buddhist.

I suspect if you are still pretending to go to church then it sounds like more than a huge deal. I don’t know if it’s better to rip that bandaid off; peel it off slowly or just keep putting more bandaids on top. Best of luck.

This is such a meaningless transition and the word "coming out" doesn't apply. I stopped going to church and didn't give two sh-ts what anyone thought about it. If I had been confronted - there's always a front door that I can exit. As an adult, there's no way that I would have subjected myself to an interrogation. This is on the scale of "how did your family feel when you stopped believing in Santa". My life is mine to live and if my family doesn't approve - I could care less - I have no problem with not being invited to family events. My self-esteem and self-worth is not based on approval or validation from family/friends.

They finally figured it out from looking at my Facebook profile. I think they already knew but didn't want to admit it to themselves. When I was confronted, I admitted it, and finally breathed a sigh of relief. My family is religious as well and has been for a long time (can we say Amish!!) so I was expecting the worst, but they're actually ok because I'm an adult. Not to say they don't pester me about it or try to challenge me on it, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Kat Level 5 Dec 15, 2018

I just kept speaking from the perspective of different world views, particularly that of Buddhism (Buddhist/agnostic, here), until they got the hint.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:242022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.