Agnostic.com

8 6

If corporations are people, how has big pharma NOT been charged with genocide/mass negligent homicide? I know it comes down to money but when I look at a company like Purdue who is responsible for the opiate epidemic, sued for lying about its addictive qualities, fined 640 million dollars yet the settlement put zero restrictions on production, so they made the Forbes richest list in 2016.

I worked in medicine for 20 years, 10 of that was in clinical trials. After my 5th year in pharmaceuticals I was so disgusted I moved into R&D of surgical instrumentation and technology. I am also a 4+ year sober grateful recovering alcoholic. Grateful my vice was booze. I spend a lot of time volunteering as a mediator for a couple online addiction support forums. I could go on for days.....

Purdue shouldn’t be allowed to manufacture drugs that help them sleep at night.

SarahSiddons 6 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Couldn't agree more - there is so much material on evils of "corporate personhood" and how it is destroying America. When you say "money is speech" and "corporations are people" you have basically made us real people, We The People, second class citizens - basically proletariate workers there just to live, work, and consume with no real say in how the world works. It is no surprise that the elite 1% have all their wealth tied up in - guess what - corporations. They have immunity and zombie like longevity. We don't imprison or even execute corporations who kill people, they just get a fine which is paid for by consumers and they move on. And because they control the government and hence the courts they are basically immune from responsibility.

In a just world the assets of those big pharma companies that engaged in genocide would be seized for the good of We The People, their principals imprisioned for life, and regulations would be put in place to prevent it from ever happening again.

One reason I like this particular documentary is how it addresses patent padding, dispels with the industry’s claim that the costs are high because of R&D. Doesn’t actually talk about the opiate epidemic at all but gives greater insight on how we got where we are.

Imagine if States started their own pharma companies... they could either make a huge profit for the states which could be passed onto We The People, or they could just cut costs of health care and save us all truck loads of money.

I have a tougher question: why aren't state legislatures and/or the federal government re-classifying these drugs so they can only be administered by certain medical personnel, indeed if not in medicial facilities? From everything I've heard/read in the news, It seems to me that the abuse is happening because patients are administering it to themselves.

The abuse is happening because they can no longer get opiates from their doctor or they cannot afford them and heroin is cheap and abundant....and now being laced with fentanyl. As for administration? That’s what methadone clinics do, but try putting one in suburbia insistent on keeping out the “riff raff”....thereby placing undue burdens on thise who need it who can’t or don’t drive or have have to take unpaid time off to obtain it.

I’ve known for quite a while that there has been a bad illegal opium drug problem but until I started working as a pharmacy technician in January, I did not realize how bad the problem is on the legal side of the drug market. It is soooooo bad. At first, I put all the blame on patients who allowed themselves to get hooked. Then I started to put all the blame on the doctors. I was thinking they were giving out these drugs like they were candy. I still believe some do. Then I saw the documentary “Dr. Feelgood”. Now I’m feeling more empathy for the doctors. There is not just one group to blame. Patients, doctors AND big pharma all can share the blame. And big pharma, I don’t think they care. Hey it’s a more money for them. It’s a very sad situation.

When I hear something like what is going on right now with the 'opioid epidemic' they try to make it sound like these drugs just appeared out of nowhere and all these degenerates started abusing them.
It infuriates me when I think about how utterly corrupt our government is.

No one gave a shit till it started killing white soccer moms. The only reason we have narcan was to treat returning Vietnam vets who came home with a smack habit.

Yes, our government is corrupt. It's been corrupted by the 1% who run corporations. See [endcitizensunited.org] and [movetoamend.org]

Corporations are NOT people. That is a lie manufactured and constantly repeated by Mitch McConnell. He discovered the Nazi tactic of the "big Lie": Manufacture any lie you want and keep repeating it in many contexts. Eventually more and more people with believe you and lthe lie will be accepted as fact. Big pharma is being a free pass to take advantage of us by the culture of greed.

Part of the problem is Citizens United where the Supreme Court allowed unlimited donations to political campaigns. Now the corporations openly buy the politicians.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

This is true and very sad. I advise looking into two organizations who are trying to change this: [endcitizensunited.org] and [movetoamend.org]

Gerrymandering then allows politicians to pick their voters.

Illuminati confirmed.???

First of all corporations are persons under the law not people. This is a means by which the share holders and board of directors escape liability. Since the corporation is a person you can not put it in jail the best you can do is fine it or sue it nor can you hold the owners or their representatives responsible for the crimes of the corporation. You can however hold individuals working on behalf or the corporations responsible for their criminal actions as separate person under the law this is why when there is a criminal case against a corporation we often get the head of some low level manager offered up for implementing policies and instructions from the board; the excuse is that the board was not aware of the potential consequences but the manager was.

I think this is totally wrong; corporation should not be PUL's only people should be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.