Agnostic.com

29 9

Why do we feel territorial about parking space?

Living in a three-plex, I have two reserved, covered parking spaces. One space for my car; the other for guests.

Have always felt archly amused when normally kind men swear at bad drivers while behind the wheel. Road rage? Not me.

But for the last two days, a Honda sedan has been illegally parked in my second reserved space. Using duct tape, I stuck two notes on the windshield:

"NO PARKING. MOVE THIS CAR NOW."

"Your car is in my parking space. If you don't move your car immediately, it will be towed. Towing is expensive for you."

"I have guests coming for the holidays," I told the building manager. She said the Honda will be towed in 24 hours.

I was suprised by how aggravated and territorial I felt!

"Refugees are starving and you're upset about a spare parking space?" I thought. "Put this in perspective."

The jerk finally moved his car last night. He tore up my notes and threw them on the ground.

After picking up the litter, as is my habit, I breathed a sigh of relief.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those are the type o people that allow people like Trump get elected. They feel that rules don't apply to them. I would also be pissed off.

It's an invasion of space, your space, you have every right to cop the arse 🙂

Humans act very bizarrely with parking spaces. I don’t get the obsession to getting the absolute closest spot possible. I’ve seen people wait for someone to pull out when it’s much quicker to get a spot that availability a few spaces further away. I’ve seen this behavior in gym parking lots.

I’m somewhat of a young buck still, so I typically park a good distance away so people that may need closer spaces can have them. It’s OK. The extra 100 feet aren’t going to kill me.

Your space is your space. Rules are rules. Having to personally enforce the rules we live by is always frustrating because we shouldn't have to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:243358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.