Agnostic.com

27 2

Have you ever disliked someone for no reason?

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't thinks so..... but. I believe I have been quick to judge at times. And I have learned that first impressions don't necessarily match up to the person.

Have you ever found yourself liking someone for no reason?

I like you... ?

No likes and dislikes without a reason.

No, but I sometimes like people that it turns out I probably shouldn't.

Very often. When I meet someone for the first time, I almost always like or dislike them immediately for no fathomable reason. More often than not, that like or dislike turns out to be justifiable - the people I immediately like tend to turn out to be good, reliable, trustworthy people; those I dislike tend to be the opposite.

Jnei Level 8 Dec 14, 2018

Not likely possible. There is always a reason...you may not understand or be able to express why you do not like someone, but there will always be a reason.

You can learn a lot from the things that make you uncomfortable. Dive into reason. Don’t just blindly avoid.

I try to keep the instinct of a child inside me. Sometimes you cannot explain why you don‘t like someone. I‘m watching those people cautiously over a period of time to get sure if I‘m wrong or right. I try not to judge someone from the start.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 14, 2018

How about the vibe you feel?

That’s probably more it.

Yes. I only have so much like to spread around.

Yes especially if my dog didn't like them.

When I meet someone new, I often have an immediate sense of being drawn in by them or repelled by them. I believe there are reasons, conscious and unconscious - sometimes obvious and more often much less so. My brain, heart and gut decide!

Animals in Translation - Our brains do alot of thinking for us.

I’ve become fascinated by brain science and it turns out most of our decisions (probably all) are made subconsciously.

Probably turned off a lot of people with that comment.

To answer your question: Yes - it happens fairly often, And I’m typically suspicious of people who seem to “like” everyone.

Depends on how you define "dislike" if you are talking about social media, no. If you mean fail to like a person, probably but in that event there is likely a reason even if I am not fully aware of the reason for my emotional response.

Yes, I have a co-worker who I can't stand tp speek to. It might be his politics, but it started before I knew his views. It just seems like he's trying too hatd to impress.

Yes, but those are reasons..

@Kayterade5348 it started out for no reason, I think I found reasons to not like him. I have known other people with which I have the same issues, but I don't dislike them.

No I don't go that far. I do come across people who's face I'd like to stand on but that's because they're sniveling little gobshites...e.g. Nigel Farage and Michael Gove #twunts

Yes. I , unfortunately, have an instant dislike to individuals with very large heads. I don’t have a clue why. But, when it is someone I have to deal with personally, over time, I have to work to overcome that dislike.

When I first saw Trump on TV, promoting his (ghost written) biok "The Art of The Deal", I immediately disliked him without knowing why at the time.

I fidn my intuition about people is usually pretty good. Every time I ignored my intuitive feeling about a person, Ihave regretted it, as the personlater screwed me over in one way or another.

I think our instincts or immediate likes and dislikes evolved to help us better survive our fellow humans. When I listn to my instincts, I do much better than when I don't.

No, but I've had some pretty weak reasons.

JimG Level 8 Dec 14, 2018

I would like to think that I haven't but I'm sure I have to my shame

Yes I can't stand that actress that performs on "Murder She Wrote", Angela Lansbury, she's English born like me, why I can't stand the woman I don't know?

If I'm at home zapping the TV with the remote I can't zap away from her quickly enough, I know it's completely unfair and don't really know why I find her so objectionable, maybe she doesn't like me either.

I think this condition can be put down to something we call being human, on the other hand I've met a few English that don't like Americans and yet I've never met an American that I haven't really liked, just because Americans aren't as good looking as us Brits is not a sufficient reason to dislike your lot.

Regards Jimbo.

Reminds me of the old joke by Bob Dole, the funniest politician I ever heard of and someone I liked a lot, even tho he was a Repub. He was the master of the dry humor and terse jokes. I think he was talking about Phil Gramm of Texas, but the joke went like this. Gramm asked Dole why people seemed to take an instant dislike to Gramm. Dole replied dryly, "Saves time".

I try to be open when meeting someone new,but sometimes I just get a feeling that either we will be friends or that I just don't like them. Often, additional meetings validate my first impression. It is often true, however, that once we make a decision about a person we are very reluctant to let it go so we seek out confirming information and dismiss as a fluke anything that would indicate we're wrong. A lot of what we believe is gleaned through nonverbal communication so there really IS a reason we like or dislike the person.

Do ex-wives count ?

Never. I'm very particular about who I really like or really hate.

Well, I might not understand what the reason is right away, but there is always a reason if I don't like someone. And usually it has a lot more to do with me than with anything they have done. I find I am annoyed with people who have the same characteristics that I don't like about myself. It's like looking in a mirror and focusing on my perceived flaws. But this other person is getting the fallout of my insecure judgement.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:243952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.