Agnostic.com

20 13

Am I the only one that feels a better sense of self on Agnostic.com than I do with long term friends?

Shelton 8 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not really. Always had a strong sense of self regardless of whether butcher, musician, or ops manager. Not because of any religious or non-religious conviction, just because!

My sense of self has always been strong (occasionally to my detriment), I have always been pretty open with my lack of belief so it's hard for me to say that it's better here. However, there is a certain freedom in knowing that I'm very unlikely to offend someone on here in the way I might IRL (of course, I generally view that as their problem if they are offended by non-belief!)

I don't know

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 16, 2019

No, not for me. I'm fortunate to have life long friends and I have an absolute sense of self with them. This site as opened up a portal on people I wouldn't have otherwise have 'met' but it;s a totally different platform for me to be able to compare. If I keep an internet friend for 58 years I may be able to make a fair comparison, but that would make me 116 🙂

No but my experience is patchy, been away from here for a long tie as I have had to keep goig to hospital adn blood tests etc.Wearing me down but when i get here do feel like everything is in its rightful place.Calm even when its not - I feel 'held' here.

It is lovely to be able to speak my mind without causing harm to the defensive structure of others. I have spent much of my life keeping my mouth shut and wishing for more. I'm very happy to have found this group of people.

I wouldn't say a better sense of self - but I do feel I can be more open and honest here and not "check myself" so much as I do IRL. So if that's what you mean... then no you are not the only one.

My sense of self is super strong, and I need face time with people. But, I enjoy the conversations here and the people I've met (irl and just online) through here.

Nope! I feel the same way. Sweeeet

Not entirely, I'm fortunate to have some life long friends with whom I can be myself and although we go months or years without seeing each other will pick up where we left off. But having said that I am quite comfortable on here and have made a couple of connections I wouldn't otherwise have done so.

I know I can be a lot more myself here than with a whole lot of the people I know.

I think that unfortunately with friends we are guarded in what we say to them far too often, there is a fear that they no longer will want us in their lives, so we don't say what we really think or feel all the time. Here it doesn't matter because after all we don't really know each other and don't have to worry about that people no longer want to have anything do do with us.

As an extrovert, I love connecting with people.

Agnostic.com delights me because of all of the intelligent, kind and funny members. But I still need interactions with people in real life.

You an extrovert, never.

@Jolanta

I don't understand your reply. Please clarify.

@LiterateHiker It is a joke. Of course you are an extrovert, you are really knowledgeable in what you are saying and very articulate. It is a pleasure to read your answers to questions people put.

Lately I've been thinking about the feeling I get from this site. I think it's a sense of connectedness and acceptance. There are so many people here that are so not judgmental and allow others to be themselves. I've seen the support given to each other and it warms my heart.

I need to spend more time, interact more, get to know more people!

I just joined, so i still do not know anyone here.

I already had a sense of self and have for a long, long time.

no person is an island......and I don't think you understood the statement.

@sologal Whats not to understand? This site hasn't changed anything about me. It is a form of entertainment for the most part. I am a very social person. I have a few close friends and because of my job, way more than enough acquaintances.I signed up out of curiosity and stayed because sometimes it is fun and sometimes informative. 🙂

good for you....really did not mean to offend.

@sologal You didn't. 🙂

I have a lot of friends in real life, but I can’t share my fundamental feelings about a disbelief in what most people take for granted is true. I generally just never talk to them about why I think religion is malign and belief in god illogical. I keep these feelings to myself, except when I come onto this site, where I can share my thoughts with like minded others, such as yourselves. It feels comfortable.

I feel the same way...we cover a lot of topics and have fun...I enjoy it all and feel safe here...learn a few things and am making my party list when I retire to the beach! ha ha ha (yes, Shelton, you are on the list!)

Its a long way to come, but I hope Im on it.

@Marionville You know you are!!!! I have selected you to be in charge of the music along with a few of the others!

@thinktwice I’m completely chuffed! That’s Brit talk for delighted! ?

@thinktwice I should add, I hope there will be a few Hot Hunks on that beach with us! Put somebody in charge of that task! ?

@Marionville I think I know the perfect person for that job...lol

@Shelton Nah...I have enjoyed your posts from day one...

@thinktwice Good, we need some good bods on that beach!

There's a comraderie here that feels unique. I'm not sure why. Special people here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:244028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.